Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CPU eligiblity on UA flights if booked as a partner award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The UA rules do not allow for partner awards on UA operated flights to be eligible for CPU but there have been numerous reports of the eligibility showing once booked and some cases of being successfully CPUed

It appears this is related to UA elite status and does not require a UA MP credit card ( as is true for CPU on UA awards). Also, this may also apply to a companion.

Likely a glitch in the system that just sees status but not that it is an award flight (in X).
Probably requires the UA FF number be entered in the PNR (it may be this act that confuses the system).
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

I'm a UA Gold who just booked a flight next year LAX to DTW (via IAD) which I paid for with AC Aeroplan points. When I pushed the reservation to my MP account I was able to choose my E+ seats for both segments. Fare class is listed as United Economy (X). Interestingly the website lists both segments as being CPU eligible and that I'm on the upgrade list. Is that true (I'm a Canuck with no Chase CCs)?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Huh. You should need to have a Chase CC for that, but if the system say you are CPU eligible, you probably are..
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
What does the text say when you click the arrows?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu
What does the text say when you click the arrows?

That same message appears when I click on any of the upgrade arrows. I'm guessing I'll be on the CPU list? This is the second time I've attached my UA # to an Aeroplan ticket (first time was back in January). When I did it back in January I was able to select E+ seating for the UA operated segments (ZRH -> EWR and EWR -> YYZ). I believe EWR -> YYZ was a single-class UX flight so CPUs couldn't apply.

On a side note, I'm guessing it's totally legit to swap frequent flyer number on award bookings to UA to. get your *A benefits (I use Aeroplan to collect miles from my Visa & AmEx cards and credit all *A revenue miles to UA)? I suppose I could have always booked with my UA miles but I want to save those for MUAs down the road and have a ton of Aeroplan points laying around that will be worthless come 2020 when AC & *A leave Aeroplan.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by j2simpso

That same message appears when I click on any of the upgrade arrows. I'm guessing I'll be on the CPU list? This is the second time I've attached my UA # to an Aeroplan ticket (first time was back in January). When I did it back in January I was able to select E+ seating for the UA operated segments (ZRH -> EWR and EWR -> YYZ). I believe EWR -> YYZ was a single-class UX flight so CPUs couldn't apply.
I'm guessing that at least one part of UA's system doesn't see this as an award ticket -- and since it's not a *UA* award ticket I can see why.

For what it's worth UA issued 0-fare (as diffierientated from MP award tickets, e.g. those from the PerksPlus program are CPU (but not RPU/GPU) elligible. In fact I'm at 100% CPU clearance for those tickets. I'm wondering if Aeroplan awards fall into that category instead.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
In fact I'm at 100% CPU clearance for those tickets. I'm wondering if Aeroplan awards fall into that category instead.
I'm putting my CPU chances on both segments at near 0%. I've only seemed to have luck to Caribbean destinations like SJU and BQN. I suspect the elites will have me beat on the first segment (LAX -> IAD) since it's a "hub to hub" transfer likely packed with elites. I have a little hope for the IAD -> DTW segment cause who flies to DTW in the middle of winter on a weekday morning? We'll see I suppose!

One other question, if I may, how do CPUs work if you're issued a UA ticket as a result of an IRROP (i.e. suppose you're flying ORD -> LAX on AA, it gets cancelled and you get pushed to UA)? Do they count as a revenue ticket? Can I collect PQMs?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I'm guessing that at least one part of UA's system doesn't see this as an award ticket -- and since it's not a *UA* award ticket I can see why.

For what it's worth UA issued 0-fare (as diffierientated from MP award tickets, e.g. those from the PerksPlus program are CPU (but not RPU/GPU) elligible. In fact I'm at 100% CPU clearance for those tickets. I'm wondering if Aeroplan awards fall into that category instead.
This is quite interesting.

I have an Aeroplan first class ticket booked, but the only way to get to LAX was SFO-SBP-LAX, in X class. The first of those two segments has two cabins. The second passenger on my booking is UA Gold. I'm seeing the same CPU message on the reservation.

My hope is that X/I class opens on SFO-LAX, but assuming I'm stuck with what I've booked, it would be quite nice to get an upgrade on that short segment. It's showing F9 right now, so it seems wide open.

However, the wiki says "no companions". I'm clearly just a companion here, and yet it says we've requested a CPU.

Anyway, just offering this as a data point. I have zero expectation of anything.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
However, the wiki says "no companions". I'm clearly just a companion here, and yet it says we've requested a CPU.

Anyway, just offering this as a data point. I have zero expectation of anything.
Please come back and update us.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Please come back and update us.
(Un)fortunately, the I2 opened on the flight this morning (it was also R8), so I'm now confirmed in I class, and will be unable to provide any updates on whether a CPU would have worked.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
(Un)fortunately, the I2 opened on the flight this morning (it was also R8), so I'm now confirmed in I class, and will be unable to provide any updates on whether a CPU would have worked.
Congratulations. Thank you for your update.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:27 pm

I am 1K but without any UA CC. Just booked an award for me and non-status companion on UA on non UA stock (AV), added my 1K MP #, and it automatically listed us both as CPU requested with the blue arrow. I thought no CPUs on awards without a CC and even then only for primary cardmember? Is the website just glitchy?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by abcx
I am 1K but without any UA CC. Just booked an award for me and non-status companion on UA on non UA stock (AV), added my 1K MP #, and it automatically listed us both as CPU requested with the blue arrow. I thought no CPUs on awards without a CC and even then only for primary cardmember? Is the website just glitchy?
This has been previously reported -- something in UA's system when deciding on CPU does not see this as an award flight when booked with certain partner programs. So you get your 1K CPU benefit (on this partner's awards)
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:22 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Do CPUs apply to award flights booked through partners?

I'm a holder of the United Club Card, which allows me to receive CPUs on award tickets according to the United website. Does anyone know if this applies to all award tickets, including tickets booked through KrisFlyer or Aeroplan, or does this only apply to award tickets booked through United?

I would assume the fare class is what matters and that United would not care, but the devil is often in the details with things like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
A few issues:

1. If you book with another FFP's miles, that number is encoded on the ticket, not UA MP. You then need to change it to UA MP.
2. I don't remember if, like bag fees, you have to pay the award taxes on the card. Obviously, that's easy to do, but obviously can't be done after the fact.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
I'm a holder of the United Club Card, which allows me to receive CPUs on award tickets according to the United website. Does anyone know if this applies to all award tickets, including tickets booked through KrisFlyer or Aeroplan, or does this only apply to award tickets booked through United?
I'm pretty sure that the perk itself is only intended to apply to awards booked through MileagePlus.

That said: there have been several reports of people getting CPUs on tickets booked through other FFPs even without a qualifying credit card, so you may get lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.