Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancelled, Changing Destination from Domestic to International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

I fly fairly regularly from IAD -> BTV on United. Unfortunately, United's reliability has decreased on this route. If the IAD-> BTV domestic flight gets cancelled am I able to reroute on the IAD->YUL international flight. They are fairly close (2 hours apart). I would be carrying a passport, no checked baggage, and UA silver.

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Highly unlikely - typically UA will require both origin and destination airports to remain the same. Doing IAD-YUL probably would give you a $300 international fare change fee (plus fare differential). It can’t hurt to try, but keep expectations low - and I say this as a 1K who wouldn’t expect much help from UA on this front either...
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I've done it, IAH-xxx-BTV had irrops so they put us on the IAH-YUL nonstop instead.
Xyzzy and silverforumsurf like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
During irregular operations, United may put you on a flight to another city near your original destination. In your case, you want to change BTV to YUL. Customer Service agents let me switch between ORF and RIC (90 miles apart) a number of times as long as I provided my own transportation to home.
Good luck.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:02 pm

In my recent experience, the United App will proactively allow you to select a different airport when rebooking due to irrops, with a warning that you are responsible for your own ground transportation if you do select a different airport.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Highly unlikely - typically UA will require both origin and destination airports to remain the same. Doing IAD-YUL probably would give you a $300 international fare change fee (plus fare differential).
If there was a change fee (and as others have said, it's unlikely in an IROPS situation), then the fee would be the change fee on the original ticket - typically $200.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andrew Kolodgie
If the IAD-> BTV domestic flight gets cancelled am I able to reroute on the IAD->YUL international flight.
Provided you have permission to enter Canada, it’s a YMMV situation. I expect you’d be able to find an agent who would authorize that, provided that you provided your own transportation from YUL to wherever you’re going. There’s no guarantee, though.

As others have suggested, try the app; if that doesn’t work, try calling — maybe a couple of times — and then try an airport agent.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
IRROPS

I have done it as well. IAD-SYR was cancelled due to weather and I re-routed IAD-YOW. Tix needed to be re-written and I did this in the UA club lounge in Terminal E.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
The app is very liberal with nearby airports during irrop. Once you get the red ! - it allows you to rebook typically within 250 miles whether same day or future days if seat are available.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
should not be a problem at all, assuming you have the needed paperwork with you to enter Canada.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
In irrops, UA will almost always allow a reroute to a nearby city provided you waive any responsibility for the transportation charges from there (e.g. no taxi, uber, bus, rental car, etc., will be paid by UA).
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
should not be a problem at all, assuming you have the needed paperwork with you to enter Canada.
There's paperwork required to enter Canada?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I have done it as well. IAD-SYR was cancelled due to weather and I re-routed IAD-YOW. Tix needed to be re-written and I did this in the UA club lounge in Terminal E.
Can you tell me where IAD Terminal E and its UC is located?
Xyzzy and Beltway2A like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Once you get the red ! - it allows you to rebook typically within 250 miles whether same day or future days if seat are available.
Sort of. UA picks up to ~5 alternate airports in the app; you often get a couple more choices on the web. If your desired airport isn’t in the ones that UA pre-selects, though, there’s no way (that I know of) to override it; you’d have to call at that point.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
It depends upon your passport.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by s0ssos
In addition to the passport requirement, any non-US/non-CA citizens will require pre-authorization from the Canadian government to even check in for a flight to Canada - either in the form of an eTA or a visa.

(OK, so you could claim the 'e' specifically relates to the fact it's not 'paper', but...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.