Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I took a VDB earlier this year and was given Electronic Travel Certificate with value of $400.

I was trying to use it to book a trip to BKK, but it didn't seem to work. Is this because it is not all UA metal now?

Also, I thought certificates that were earned by taking a bump still qualified for PQD...is this correct?

Many thanks.
It depends on the kind it is. I've heard of both being issued for a bump (though haven't taken one myself since the merger for a bump, so don't have any experience.

If it has a code starting with 1016, it discounts the fare, and the amount on the cert does not count toward PQD.

If it is a voucher which starts with TCVA14 as a code, then has a PIN, this is considered a form of payment, and will count toward PQD.

Either way, they likely are valid for UA/UAX metal only.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
OK thanks to you both.

Another crappy off-shoot of UA abandoning Bangkok service. No way to use these any more.

This one has a PIN, so hopefully it will be useful toward PQD at some point.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK thanks to you both.

Another crappy off-shoot of UA abandoning Bangkok service. No way to use these any more.

This one has a PIN, so hopefully it will be useful toward PQD at some point.
Definitely will be then. You'll enter the code (TCVA14) and PIN during the payment process (as opposed to the "promotion code" box before you complete your search). Its treated just like any other form of payment (i.e. CC).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Can a TCVA certificate be used on a mixed itinerary: UA to Europe and a partner airline inside Europe? For the UA portion of the fare?

Last edited by FreFly; Apr 3, 2014 at 6:40 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by FreFly
Can a TCVA certificate be used on a mixed itinerary: UA to Europe and a partner airline inside Europe? For the UA portion of the rare?
I was trying to do this with my BKK trip. UA metal to NRT, then the ANA Joint Venture immunized Super Partner (not) to BKK.

No option to apply the certificate. My take is that if there is ANY metal on the trip except UA/UAX, then the certificate cannot be used.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No option to apply the certificate. My take is that if there is ANY metal on the trip except UA/UAX, then the certificate cannot be used.
Correct. At least it's not supposed to. And if it does and you try to use one, it won't ticket.

Of course, the site isn't smart enough to bring up the other options it should accept that don't have the UA metal restrictions - like from a travel bank or registry.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
I have an Electronic Travel Certificate that expires March 13 2015.

1st question, can I book roundtrip travel that departs prior to the expiry date, but the return leg is after the expiry date?

2nd, It states: "Travel permitted on flights operated by United and United Express. Certain codeshare flights may be valid for redemption"

Can anyone explain what may be valid? ie. I would like to book a short hop in Hawaii, with their Hawaiian airlines code share... Long shot?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by coleworld
.... 1st question, can I book roundtrip travel that departs prior to the expiry date, but the return leg is after the expiry date? ....
yes

Originally Posted by coleworld
....2nd, It states: "Travel permitted on flights operated by United and United Express. Certain codeshare flights may be valid for redemption"

Can anyone explain what may be valid? ie. I would like to book a short hop in Hawaii, with their Hawaiian airlines code share... Long shot?
Best to assume no codeshares, no non-UA operated. While discussed on FT, the qualified reported exceptions have been rare and no understandable pattern. Book the inter-island hop separately, so have no impact on the total price..
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes

Best to assume no codeshares, no non-UA operated. While discussed on FT, the qualified reported exceptions have been rare and no understandable pattern. Book the inter-island hop separately, so have no impact on the total price..
Thanks, that clarifies it for me
Old May 9, 2014, 7:06 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know a way to check the balance associated with ETCV? I am trying to verify my notes about balance remaining on 3 of 5 partially used vouchers.

A search on United's website came up with a way to check GC balance but not travel vouchers.

I'm sure I can call in to check but I'd rather not have to
Old May 9, 2014, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by akp
Does anyone know a way to check the balance associated with ETCV? I am trying to verify my notes about balance remaining on 3 of 5 partially used vouchers.

A search on United's website came up with a way to check GC balance but not travel vouchers.

see this link for some tips:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...l#post20846008

my turn for a question. i'm in the situation where i need to buy a $800+ ticket for work (economy) but the Q-UP is only $1060. i need to buy the economy ticket with my corporate card, generate an economy receipt then i would like to fare it up to the Q-UP.

i have a $150 TCVA i'd love to use to partially cover the fare up. is this possible?

in other words:

issue e-ticket in V class with corporate CC
call in, fare up to Q-UP with personal CC (~$110) + TCVA ($150)

my guess is no, but never hurts to ask.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by akp

Yep just go through on a dummy ticket, enter your vouchers, and you'll see how much is applied.

You will see this information before you have to hit "Purchase".
Old May 10, 2014, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
in other words:

issue e-ticket in V class with corporate CC
call in, fare up to Q-UP with personal CC (~$110) + TCVA ($150)

my guess is no, but never hurts to ask.

You cannot add a TCVA after the fact. Your best bet would be to purchase the ticket either wholly on the Corp. CC and reimburse them the amount over the economy fare.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hellyea
Quote:

Originally Posted by akp

Yep just go through on a dummy ticket, enter your vouchers, and you'll see how much is applied.

You will see this information before you have to hit "Purchase".
This is one way to do it, however not the only way.

On the main UA website, under the Deals & Offers tab there is an item called promotional certificate. There - you are able to type in the offer code. I think based on what you are saying you have, easiest to leave the offer code blank, then select electronic voucher code from the pulldown under "program". It will then ask you to enter the PIN, year (when it was issued - should be listed as TCVA201X on the cert) and then the last name to the person it was issued to. Once you've entered that, it should bring up the amount available.
Old May 13, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
13TCVA Electronic Voucher

I have a $500 voucher that was expiring this month. I used it on unrestricted "E" class $528 fare ticket so that I would not loose the value of it. What happens if I cancel this ticket, will the $500 be applied to a new Pin Code that will be valid for another 12 months or should I just keep this reservation and change it for a real flight that I want to take?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.