Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NYC-MLE-IAH in June '20: Best Strategy to Pay Y and get J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am going to the Maldives for my honeymoon in June 2020 and looking for advice on booking. I am a UA 1K with plenty of GPUs for this. My base option is: $2700 on QR for JFK-DOH-MLE / MLE-DOH-IAH with the outbound in Y and return in J, all cash.

I'm trying to see if it's reasonable to fly UA / *A and take advantage of my GPUs (and more importantly get PQM/PQD). The best strategy appears to be getting close (SIN or BOM) and booking separate itineraries to get from SIN/BOM to MLE.

I assume there are lots of people that have looked into this. Is EWR-BOM and BOM-EWR-IAH my best bet? Alternatively, EWR-SFO-SIN, SIN-NRT-IAH?

Any advice on proceeding would be great.

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
none of these is an easy upgrade or usually confirmable in advance. Try and look for consolidator paid J tickets on QR and other such carriers IMO.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

I've never used Business Class Consolidator. Are there significant risks that I'd be taking on if I booked through them, e.g. breaching T&C and having my tickets canceled?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I went to MLE for my honeymoon 2 years ago.

I used my UA miles and booked on Turkish to IST and down to MLE, not sure if award availability is still open for that routing for you, got there perfect time to catch my seaplane to the resort, you are going to have a blast!!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whitethunder
I went to MLE for my honeymoon 2 years ago.

I used my UA miles and booked on Turkish to IST and down to MLE, not sure if award availability is still open for that routing for you, got there perfect time to catch my seaplane to the resort, you are going to have a blast!!
Good to know, thank you! So you just booked the economy awards and waited until business savers opened up, I assume?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by km723
Good to know, thank you! So you just booked the economy awards and waited until business savers opened up, I assume?
nah I was going to GPU on UA to a Star Alliance hub in Europe then fly economy down to MLE, but I literally searched everyday until I found business availability on TK. If you are searching this far in advance you should be OK I booked in Oct 2016 for a trip in August 2017.

Once June opens up for bookings just check everyday and hopefully find some business awards open for you guys

Sorry forgot to mention the other option was to find award space to CMB (colombo sri lanka) and pay for a quick 1 hour flight which was super cheap from there to MLE (even cheap in business)
km723 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
That approach does not really work any more on mutli-segment awards if partner flights are involved.
Long discussion on why changing an existing partner award is very problematic, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...lems-help.html
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I've never used Business Class Consolidator. Are there significant risks that I'd be taking on if I booked through them, e.g. breaching T&C and having my tickets canceled?
if you go with the well-established ones such as fareboom and others there is no risk. I would not book a honeymoon hoping for an UG to clear or waiting for C awards to become available.

Last edited by cfischer; Jul 3, 2019 at 5:48 pm Reason: :)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Do you have any OW miles? or potentially buy some AS/AA miles for use on OW carriers.

Quick search using QF shows that there is some J and F availability in June going both ways on QR, EK, and BA.

On EK, you are even able to fly F on their new 77W from MLE-DXB and F on their A388 from DXB-IAH (shower anyone?!).
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
Do you have any OW miles? or potentially buy some AS/AA miles for use on OW carriers.

Quick search using QF shows that there is some J and F availability in June going both ways on QR, EK, and BA.

On EK, you are even able to fly F on their new 77W from MLE-DXB and F on their A388 from DXB-IAH (shower anyone?!).
This is the most straightforward solution if possible, though be warned the BA experience is subpar. Still way better than coach but way worse than most if not all other options discussed.
IAH2MEL likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by boolean64
This is the most straightforward solution if possible, though be warned the BA experience is subpar. Still way better than coach but way worse than most if not all other options discussed.
Agreed - avoid BA, F & J, at all costs when in the same conversation as QR and EK.

For F - I would opt for EK based on the chance to fly on the new 773 and for J - I would opt for QR based on their Q-Suite and EK's sub-par 773 J layout.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
I just booked a trip to the Maldives and decided to take UA to HKG and then continue onwards on Cathay using Chase UR. You can find a $1000 or so W fare in/out of HKG and can even find confirmable upgrade space if you want to connect in SFO. Couldn’t think of a cheaper way to do most of the trip up front.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by goldelite8
I just booked a trip to the Maldives and decided to take UA to HKG and then continue onwards on Cathay using Chase UR. You can find a $1000 or so W fare in/out of HKG and can even find confirmable upgrade space if you want to connect in SFO. Couldn’t think of a cheaper way to do most of the trip up front.
This suggestion makes the most sense to me. And then you could spend a few days in Hong Kong while you're at it!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by goldelite8
That's a really good solution for the OP based on what he wrote.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.