Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Drops "Continental" from Corporate Name, now United Airlines Holdings, Inc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Drops "Continental" from Corporate Name, now United Airlines Holdings, Inc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Bethune was not amused that they dropped the name on the news this week.
I never understood why they had Continental in the name to begin with. After they decided to keep the United brand—objectively, it was a much stronger brand, so it was clearly the correct move—they should have dropped Continental out of the name of the corporation. I don’t see that it matters that it took close to a decade to finalize the merger.
milski and am1108 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

I never understood why they had Continental in the name to begin with. After they decided to keep the United brand—objectively, it was a much stronger brand, so it was clearly the correct move—they should have dropped Continental out of the name of the corporation. I don’t see that it matters that it took close to a decade to finalize the merger.
I think it was because in financial terms, Continental essentially took over United. However, I agree it would have been better not to entrench old loyalties with the nomenclature.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAL757222
The name of the parent company will now on CNBC or Fox Business and the like will no longer be simply referred to as “United Continental” when talking about the companies performance on air. That is a win.
It is definitely clearer. Local news outlets will still show tulip battleship grey stock footage whenever UAL is in the news for the wrong reason, however.

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I never understood why they had Continental in the name to begin with.
A sop to employees. An unnecessary one at that.
DenverBrian and milski like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:53 pm

Bloomberg: United Airlines Strips ‘Continental’ From Parent Company’s Name

"United Airlines is jettisoning merger partner Continental from its parent company’s formal name, saying the change will “show the world we’re truly a united United” almost a decade after a rocky tie-up that combined the two carriers."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...company-s-name
milski and am1108 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
I think it was because in financial terms, Continental essentially took over United. However, I agree it would have been better not to entrench old loyalties with the nomenclature.
UAL Corp. bought Continental technically on paper.

Speaking of, I wouldn't mind a return to UAL Corporation
Attached Images  
DenverBrian, milski and am1108 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
They can take the name, but you're not taking my text message tone!

https://share.dmurphy.com/sharing/oS1JY56oJ

So long, Proud Bird with the Golden Tail. We'll miss you.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by fumje
UCH was chosen simply to underscore the flawed "merger of equals" approach the company tried so hard to sell.

Financial outlets tend to follow the convention of identifying the name of the publicly-traded entity rather than better-known subsidiaries, so this will presumably wipe "Continental" from this major source of reporting.
am1108 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
And to think that THIS was my aircraft last Tuesday (!) from EUG to DEN
ContinentalFan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.