Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Drops "Continental" from Corporate Name, now United Airlines Holdings, Inc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM

Revelant part of the just filed 8-K below. Personally I am glad to get rid of the Continental name, now I can only wish for the globe to be gone

Effective June 27, 2019, United Continental Holdings, Inc. amended its Certificate of Incorporation to change its name to “United Airlines Holdings, Inc.” (the “Company”). Stockholder approval of the name change was not required pursuant to Section 242(b) of the General Corporation Law of the State of Delaware. The Bylaws of the Company have similarly been amended to reflect the name change, also effective on June 27, 2019. The Company’s common stock will continue to trade on The Nasdaq Stock Market LLC under the symbol “UAL” and its CUSIP number will not change.

Copies of the Amended and Restated Certificate of Incorporation, as filed with the Secretary of State of the State of Delaware, and the Amended and Restated Bylaws, are attached hereto as Exhibits 3.1 and 3.2, respectively, and incorporated herein by reference.

Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Continuing to move past the merger... ^
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:57 pm

Finally a change I like.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
I am def a CO fan but I am happy to see the CO legacy no longer tied to this affair.

Frankly they should have looked at changing the WHOLE name. United is a seemingly unredeemable brand.
JOSECONLSCREW28 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 27, 2019 at 4:40 pm Reason: removed quote of deleted content
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by ethan76
I am def a CO fan but I am happy to see the CO legacy no longer tied to this affair.

+1. CO died when Smisek took over with the singular focus to merge with United.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 27, 2019 at 4:41 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Nothing has changed. It’s United in name only!
milski likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 27, 2019 at 4:41 pm Reason: Removed quote of deleted content
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by ethan76

Frankly they should have looked at changing the WHOLE name. United is a seemingly unredeemable brand.

Not a lover or hater , just a regular user. I have been involved with a few mergers in my life , if you wanted a name to bring two companies together you would be hard pressed to think up a better name than United the hyphenated name did nothing to help the two organizations come together
SteveHK likes this.

Last edited by wanderingkev; Jun 27, 2019 at 4:55 pm
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Nothing has changed. It’s United in name only!
Still dba Continental.
FlyingNone and milski like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 27, 2019 at 6:01 pm Reason: discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
if you wanted a name to bring two companies together you would be hard pressed to think up a better name than United
that is actually how United got its name, Boeing Air Transport and Pratt & Whitney merged to become the United Aircraft and Transport Corporation which was shortly thereafter renamed United Air Lines when they acquired National Air Transport and Pacific Air Transport
tuolumne, onthesam, am1108 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
Revelant part of the just filed 8-K below. Personally I am glad to get rid of the Continental name, now I can only wish for the globe to be gone

Effective June 27, 2019, United Continental Holdings, Inc. amended its Certificate of Incorporation to change its name to “United Airlines Holdings, Inc.” (the “Company”). Stockholder approval of the name change was not required pursuant to Section 242(b) of the General Corporation Law of the State of Delaware. The Bylaws of the Company have similarly been amended to reflect the name change, also effective on June 27, 2019. The Company’s common stock will continue to trade on The Nasdaq Stock Market LLC under the symbol “UAL” and its CUSIP number will not change.

Copies of the Amended and Restated Certificate of Incorporation, as filed with the Secretary of State of the State of Delaware, and the Amended and Restated Bylaws, are attached hereto as Exhibits 3.1 and 3.2, respectively, and incorporated herein by reference.
Very good change from a brand identity standpoint. Now CO can RIP.
am1108 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by N104UA
that is actually how United got its name, Boeing Air Transport and Pratt & Whitney merged to become the United Aircraft and Transport Corporation which was shortly thereafter renamed United Air Lines when they acquired National Air Transport and Pacific Air Transport
And if Flyertalk has been around back then, there would have been thread titles like “Remaining Vestiges of Pratt & Whitney.”
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by SS255
And if Flyertalk has been around back then, there would have been thread titles like “Remaining Vestiges of Pratt & Whitney.”
Aren't those the things that are hanging off the wings of certain aiframes?
SS255 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Very good change from a brand identity standpoint. Now CO can RIP.
Next (and final) step - retire the logo. May need the next CEO to do it.
Pat89339, milski, am1108 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Bring back the tulip

tulip time!!!!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Next (and final) step - retire the logo. May need the next CEO to do it.
CALA014A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.