Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
thanks all for the really helpful replies. I'll aim to go to bed around 5 hours or so after takeoff.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
Just FYI, Jetstar doesn't usually follow any of the normal rules. They will consider that you have a one-way MEL to SYD ticket and you will pay for each and every bag, by weight. It's an awful system and should be avoided. VA or QF would be better choices.
If the bags are already tagged Jetstar will take them, after some argument (average 30min for me)
Its not worth it
Take VF/QF or fly direct
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:40 am

Just FYI, Jetstar will consider that you have a one-way MEL to SYD ticket and you will pay for each and every bag, by weight.
Including hand luggage if it exceeds 7kg (15 pounds) IIRC
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: United 1MM
Originally Posted by docbert
IMHO, not worth it to save $150 - but obviously the visit friends part does change things a bit.
Agreed. Would only think about it if the price difference was much larger. I can take the short hop and fly to Sydney any weekend to visit friends and have more time.

I was just surprised that UA has codeshared with JQ. Then again, this is $misek we're talking about. Wouldn't shock me if he codeshared with a livestock train between SYD and MEL.

The MEL-LAX flight is a good one, and whereas I liked the NZ lounge in SYD to shower and have a bite after the 14 hour flight, getting it over with in one 15 hour flight is indeed better.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by briank1973
I was just surprised that UA has codeshared with JQ.
They haven't codeshared with JQ, but they do have interline agreements with them (both ticketing and baggage).

UA used to codeshare with Virgin Australia (or Virgin Blue as they were at the time), but dropped this when the Virgin/Delta partnership started.

Today they don't codeshare with anyone in Australia, but most fares allow travel on any of Virgin/Qantas/Jetstar. eg, on an SFO-BNE fare

IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN AUSTRALIA
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY QF FLIGHT OPERATED BY QF
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA
ANY JQ FLIGHT OPERATED BY JQ
ANY VA FLIGHT OPERATED BY VA.
Given any choice I'd take Qantas or Virgin any day over Jetstar - if only for the fact that they both have transport between terminals (including domestic luggage check in the International terminal), but occasionally JQ will work out to be cheaper...
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
Given any choice I'd take Qantas or Virgin any day over Jetstar.
+1 If you enjoy Spirit airlines you'll love Jetstar.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by harryhv
If you enjoy Spirit airlines you'll love Jetstar.
Indeed! Truer words never spoken!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: Qantas,Singapore,United,Virgin Australia,
UA 840/ UA 839 SYD - LAX return

Hi all,

I'm hoping to pick your brains a bit, as I've not travelled with UA on this route for a long time.

I've booked UA flights 840 and 839 in April (11th and 28th) with United between SYD and LAX on their 777 plane.

Leaving SYD around 10 AM arriving LAX 6:30 AM with 14 hours of flight time.
Leaving LAX around 10:30 PM arriving SYD 6:50 AM with 14 hours of flight time.

Economy Plus seats, 20K & 20J on UA 840 and Economy Plus seats 20A & 20 B on UA 839.

For those of you who have traveled this route before, how have you divided your sleeping/awake time? They are apparently serving one meal and a snack on board? How far along into the flight do the meals get served?

I can see UA840 is pretty full, just some E+ seats left (flying on a Saturday) but UA 839 isn't so full (flying on a Tuesday). Any thoughts on the likelihood of 839 becoming fully booked.

Any other thoughts or advice would be very welcome.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
I fly this route often. You picked good seats. There is a dinner service (they call it lunch) about 1 hr into the flight. Drinks, small salad, meat or veggie dish, and a small dessert. Halfway through the flight is a snack which is usually a small sandwich and a small candy bar. Drinks here also. Then about 90 min prior to landing breakfast is served. Drink, fruit salad, and either eggs or cereal.

I always try to sleep for the Middle six hours.

On a Tuesday in April the flight might not fill, but it's a busy route for them so who knows

Hope that helps
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by UAaddict
I was on the SFO to SYD flight just one week ago, traveling in the C cabin. The food was very unimpressive - the choices were the usual crappy chicken, beef or pasta. I would definitely prefer a good restaurant meal over the UA C class meal.

Sitting in the upstairs of the B744 was very nice though. It felt quite spacious, though I would recommend getting a seat forward of row 15 (if you are sitting upstairs) to avoid noise from the gallery.

Have a great flight!
747-400? The route is 777's. Was there a sub one day?
And the meal sucks. But no worse than normal.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Just FYI, Jetstar doesn't usually follow any of the normal rules. They will consider that you have a one-way MEL to SYD ticket and you will pay for each and every bag, by weight. It's an awful system and should be avoided. VA or QF would be better choices.
You do not have a choice if you book UA SFO-MEL and take the SYD transfer. Must go on JQ.

As others have said- not worth it- go via LAX and take the 787 non-stop.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zebranz
747-400? The route is 777's. Was there a sub one day?
No, but you are replying to a 5 year old post...

Originally Posted by zebranz
You do not have a choice if you book UA SFO-MEL and take the SYD transfer. Must go on JQ.
No, you can fly any of QF/VA/JQ (or technically UA, but they don't fly it any more). The fare rules allow it, and there's no issue booking it. eg :

Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: Qantas,Singapore,United,Virgin Australia,
I fly this route often. You picked good seats. There is a dinner service (they call it lunch) about 1 hr into the flight. Drinks, small salad, meat or veggie dish, and a small dessert. Halfway through the flight is a snack which is usually a small sandwich and a small candy bar. Drinks here also. Then about 90 min prior to landing breakfast is served. Drink, fruit salad, and either eggs or cereal.

I always try to sleep for the Middle six hours.

On a Tuesday in April the flight might not fill, but it's a busy route for them so who knows

Hope that helps
Thank you! It does a lot!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
A quick question: I booked SYD-LAX on a return trip on Jan. 6, 2016 (Wednesday after New Year's). I'm Platinum and put in for a MileagePlus upgrade, partially because a) it'd be nice to be in BF for a very long flight, but also because there was R capacity on the 2nd leg (LAX-JFK), so I knew we'd get the automatic upgrade into BF there. We're waitlisted for the SYD-LAX leg; in people's experience who have flown this, what are the chances of getting the TPAC upgrade through?

Also - I didn't bother putting in for a MileagePlus upgrade for the outbound flight to SYD - BF was decently booked already, and on the Friday before Christmas, I figured it's likely to be pretty packed - so I'd rather wait it out and see if there's any realistic shot to upgrade much closer to departure...right move?
Old May 2, 2015, 7:31 am

Flying SYD-SFO tomorrow.

What is the wifi service like and what are the prices?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.