Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
It will be interesting to see which of the two HKG flights is more popular. Personally, I like the late night US departure and the morning Asia departure. While the late Asia departure definitely maximizes the departure day, it just kills me on the jet lag.
My guess is it will be primarily O/D on the new flights and connecting pax on the existing flights.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drewguy
My guess is it will be primarily O/D on the new flights and connecting pax on the existing flights.
The new flights are timed better for connections in 3 out of 4 cases, the only exception being the nighttime SFO arrival from HKG. The existing HKG departure is virtually impossible for most connections.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The new flights are timed better for connections in 3 out of 4 cases, the only exception being the nighttime SFO arrival from HKG. The existing HKG departure is virtually impossible for most connections.
+1.

As I mentioned above the early am into HKG means you’ll be able to connect onto 8am-10am CX flights and reach Thailand, Malaysia and SE China before lunchtime. On the evening arrival you’ll be lucky to get connections and they’ll be 11pm to midnight arrivals at those destinations.

And for the return, the night flight allows for mid-late afternoon feeder departures connecting at HKG instead of having to head out to the airport at stupid o’clock for a 6am flight to HKG.

Even the evening arrival into SFO works for west coast connections. For example, I could have a leisurely brunch in Bangkok, leave BKK at 4pm, connect to the night flight and be home at PDX by 10pm “same day”, on protected connections.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
However, I have absolutely zero interest in the new westbound flight, personally. Despite a Polaris seat, I just can't hit the ground running like that. It's generally too early to get into a hotel and HKG is not one of those cities I want to wander around in when wearing the same clothes I'd been wearing for the previous 24 hours or so.

But even so...Yay! First new flight to HKG in a while.
I know some will love the early arrival to catch a ferry or another flight to the mainland. This will be more reliable than counting on a connection from PVG or PEK.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by williambruno1975
now the guessing game begins for where the 77W will be redeployed
BKK!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by williambruno1975

technically it doesn’t say, but what’s the chance of the absolute first route systemwide that went 77W to go un-Polarised ? that would be just about the dumbest possible way to kill the golden goose
by the end of year, probably 70% to 80% of all 772 will have been converted, so you will really have to be unlucky to catch one of the unconverted ones.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

UA has Apple and other key corporate contracts. And a real network to connect at SFO. They won’t regret this move.
UA actually done this before back around 2007, 2008, back then the 2nd flight was using one 772 flying 3 times a week after the cancellation of the 2nd ORD-HKG, the 2nd SFO-HKG cancelled even faster than the 2nd ORD-HKG, then they move the 772 to start IAD-DXB, so i am skeptical it will work this time. Back then there was only 1x CX and 1x SQ at night, now there are 2x CX and 1x SQ at night, high yield pax would not dump CX and SQ and fly UA since both sell F whereas UA has no F anymore.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
If they would time one of the SFO to PVG departures like the second HKG plane, I may switch back to UA for my trips home.
SFOPVG is a really short route. unless you depart SFO close to 2am, you will end up arriving PVG 4am ish.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Much better timing for the choice of onward connections. Also the 777-200ER have a slightly improved economy seat compared to the 777-300ER.
Can you quantify the exact improvement? Thx.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:41 am

Great news for getting to Asia

I’m wondering if this might help pull some of the load on the SFO-SIN flights (ie better chance of PZ inventory going forward)? Thoughts?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
so you will really have to be unlucky to catch one of the unconverted ones.
Or really lucky if you are travelling in the back of the plane.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YouFlyBoysCrackMeUp
I’m wondering if this might help pull some of the load on the SFO-SIN flights (ie better chance of PZ inventory going forward)? Thoughts?
If UA thought that was likely, they wouldn't be launching the flight.

HKG and SIN are over 1500 miles apart. UA doesn't sell a ton of connections through SIN -- for the most part, SQ isn't interested in helping UA sell seats on SFO-SIN. If there are some passengers currently overflying BKK / SGN / HAN / etc. due to the late-night schedule being available on the UA flight to SIN, then maybe -- but I'm skeptical.

I suspect UA believes that there's enough additional premium demand in the market to justify the second flight on its own.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: hahaha
I don't know much about airline economics, but hopefully someone more insightful could help plant a seed in my head.

Would this new route open up the possibility for UA to do intra-Asia fifth freedoms again? Not sure why they pulled out of doing SIN and SGN but I'm guessing it just didn't make sense economically. It's a shame, I've always wanted to access SGN easier from North America! With the new schedule it doesn't look like a crazy idea from a timeslot perspective.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by jsloan
If UA thought that was likely, they wouldn't be launching the flight.

HKG and SIN are over 1500 miles apart. UA doesn't sell a ton of connections through SIN -- for the most part, SQ isn't interested in helping UA sell seats on SFO-SIN. If there are some passengers currently overflying BKK / SGN / HAN / etc. due to the late-night schedule being available on the UA flight to SIN, then maybe -- but I'm skeptical.

I suspect UA believes that there's enough additional premium demand in the market to justify the second flight on its own.
I’ve often flown UA1 (when connecting through HKG would have been shorter in theory) because of the late night departure.

In fact, I even flew UA1 then connected to (a separately purchased) SIN-DEL ticket once because it was the only thing that would get me in time for a meeting I found out about hours before booking my flight(s).
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
...UA doesn't sell a ton of connections through SIN...
Interestingly, yesterday I was looking at (UA) business airfares for specific dates in August to HK for a friend who lives in SF. I told him to expect UA to screw him a bit. Sure enough (all same dates) - SEA-HKG (via SFO) $3100. Out of SFO on the same non-stop the SEA itinerary would have connected to, $5900. The cheapest fare to HKG out of SFO was via SIN - $4500.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 28, 2019 at 12:16 pm Reason: added "(UA)"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.