Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
With the nicely priced interline fares connecting to CX this will give a great option for getting to/from BKK (and others of course). Taking the night flights and connecting to CX will get you into BKK before lunchtime, and on the return you can depart BKK mid-late afternoon. The westbound arrival into SFO at 6.50pm will allow decent connections up and down the west coast. For me (PDX) this is a great option.
FlytheTail and GRB051111 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
So, the existing flight goes down to 772 for the winter, and 4 new 77W are entering the fleet during the same time. I am looking forward to seeing this year's winter schedule as there will definitely be some new 77W flying... AU/NZ, maybe, with 789s starting Polaris mods?

2x 772 is also a good solution, especially for those concerned about a potential 77W>2x 789 flight would be a downgrade in the premium cabin.

The late-night SFO TPAC bank is starting to fill up:

SFO-SIN 10:40 789
SFO-AKL 10:45 77W
SFO-MEL 10:50 789
SFO-HKG 10:50/11:05 772
SFO-SYD 11:05 789

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Not going to be of much use for me being on the East Coast, but love to see more international routes/frequencies being added.
The eastbound timing could be useful, especially for a shorter HKG visit... dinner in Hong Kong followed by a long night's sleep with a morning arrival the "next day" is OK by me, rather than blow the bulk of an entire East Coast day in transit. Though I'd still much prefer UA one day adding an afternoon/evening HKG-EWR like Cathay's JFK schedule. The late HKG-SFO-EWR is similar to the schedule of the CX HKG-YVR-JFK through flight.

Last edited by EWR764; Jun 27, 2019 at 11:15 am
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by HkCaGu

And I assume the schedule posted is for first full week of November, but which end will be an hour off for Halloween week?
For the exSFO legs, getting in earlier than the posted schedule seems okay, although I suppose a 4:50am arrival (potentially earlier) may not be ideal, and could lead to a later SFO departure for that flight. For the exHKG legs, the morning flight currently leaves ~11:15, so presumably that would remain through the DST changeover. For the evening flight, seems like a later arrival in SFO doesn't change much - you get home a bit later, and your connection to a redeye is just a bit shorter.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: All the programs!
This is a great! Glad to see another frequency to HKG. I'm also curious how UA will deploy the freed up 77Ws.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
For the exSFO legs, getting in earlier than the posted schedule seems okay, although I suppose a 4:50am arrival (potentially earlier) may not be ideal, and could lead to a later SFO departure for that flight. For the exHKG legs, the morning flight currently leaves ~11:15, so presumably that would remain through the DST changeover. For the evening flight, seems like a later arrival in SFO doesn't change much - you get home a bit later, and your connection to a redeye is just a bit shorter.
Help me out as I must be missing something here. What's the advantage of arriving SFO in the evening and then connecting to a redeye? I guess I could see it if traveling to IAD as there's a widebody from SFO but other than that? Even then, it's still quite a bit further than connecting through ORD or EWR.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JAaronT
What an odd schedule (the 15 minute difference 3x/week)
I will point out that SFO-CTU operates on a M/W/Sa schedule (well, in reality Tu/Th/Su after midnight), the same days the new SFO-HKG is pushed back by 15 minutes. Maybe something to do with the Polaris lounge being open later on the days that SFO-CTU operates?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
the late departure is awesome for SDC purposes!
Yaddablahblah likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
I'll bring back the oft-asked 2000's FT question: why doesn't UA fly LAX - HKG?
especially with the profits from all that cargo in the belly /snark

The 772s have PP, but do they have the same number of Polaris seats as 77W?

A premium rich 777 and 789, like the latest 763 is outfitted, would be ideal for SIN and HKG routes.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
especially with the profits from all that cargo in the belly /snark

The 772s have PP, but do they have the same number of Polaris seats as 77W?

A premium rich 777 and 789, like the latest 763 is outfitted, would be ideal for SIN and HKG routes.

50 Polaris seats, so a loss of 10 on the frequency, but a net gain of 40 over the course of the day, with a new departure time.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
I'll bring back the oft-asked 2000's FT question: why doesn't UA fly LAX - HKG?
Last time I counted, LAX-HKG was served 33x a week by AA, CX, and HX. It's a slaughterhouse down there.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Last time I counted, LAX-HKG was served 33x a week by AA, CX, and HX. It's a slaughterhouse down there.
I think SFO-HKG is worse now. Because LAX has 4x daily CX, 1x daily AA, and 1x daily HX, whereas SFO has 1x daily HX, 2x daily UA, 1x daily SQ, and 3x daily CX, making 7 flights a day vs 6 from LAX. Although maybe we shouldn't count the SQ flight since it's not really aimed at SFO-HKG traffic.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I think SFO-HKG is worse now. Because LAX has 4x daily CX, 1x daily AA, and 1x daily HX, whereas SFO has 1x daily HX, 2x daily UA, 1x daily SQ, and 3x daily CX, making 7 flights a day vs 6 from LAX. Although maybe we shouldn't count the SQ flight since it's not really aimed at SFO-HKG traffic.
UA has Apple and other key corporate contracts. And a real network to connect at SFO. They won’t regret this move.
wrp96, theasianguy and Air Houston like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Much better timing for the choice of onward connections. Also the 777-200ER have a slightly improved economy seat compared to the 777-300ER.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
This is a great move on United's part. Now, if they can bring back the BKK and SIN legs from HKG, then I would be really happy.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EWR764
The late-night SFO TPAC bank is starting to fill up:..
As will the Polaris Lounge....

Originally Posted by JAaronT
What an odd schedule (the 15 minute difference 3x/week)
Probably a function of available slots and/or gates. I'm pretty sure UA would rather have same departure times seven days/week.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 9, 2019 at 8:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.