Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: No longer transfer Chase UR→UA @ 1:1 ratio (or at all)? What to do? What to do?
[NO] UA Card, [NO] Ultimate Rewards Card → [NO CHANGE] I still don't want any UA/UR Chase product
7.94%
[✓] UA Card, [NO] Ultimate Rewards Card → [NO CHANGE] I keep my UA card and [DO NOT] carry UR card.
9.35%
[✓] UA Card, [NO] Ultimate Rewards Card → [I KEEP] my UA card(s) and [ADD] UR Chase card(s).
3.74%
[✓] UA Card, [NO] Ultimate Rewards Card → [I CLOSE] Chase UA card and [DO NOT WANT] a UR Chase card.
1.87%
[NO] UA Card, [✓] Ultimate Rewards Card → [NO CHANGE] I dont carry a UA card and I [KEEP] my UR card
26.17%
[NO] UA Card, [✓] Ultimate Rewards Card → I [ADD] a UA card and I [CLOSE] my UR card.
0%
[NO] UA Card, [✓] Ultimate Rewards Card → I [ADD] a UA card and I [KEEP] my UR card.
0.93%
[✓] UA Card, [✓] Ultimate Rewards Card → [NO CHANGE], I keep [BOTH] my UA and UR Chase cards.
24.77%
[✓] UA Card, [✓] Ultimate Rewards Card → I [KEEP] my UA card(s) and [CLOSE] my UR card(s).
2.34%
[✓] UA Card, [✓] Ultimate Rewards Card → I [CLOSE] my UA card(s) and [KEEP] my UR card(s).
22.90%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

United pushes JPM on Sapphire Reserve

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder

“Flash sales” and other fly-by-night gimmicks to try to demonstrate that there may still be “high” value in the miles for the non-whale customers just won’t fly longer term. Green Stamps tried this course already, and thereby ended up where it deserved to be after gaming the masses on which it had counted on for so long.
Flying Blue seems to have been making the flash sale concept work for a while now
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Flying Blue seems to have been making the flash sale concept work for a while now
FlyingBlue is a bit player in the US, and FlyingBlue isn’t doing all that well to lift up AF-KL even in Europe where it has its biggest mass of customers. If it weren’t for those FlyingBlue sales — which are generally nothing like the flash sales DL does — FlyingBlue would already be closer to being in the dustbin of history. I do transfer bank points into FlyingBlue at times, but I wouldn’t dare to park a million points in FlyingBlue, even as someone better positioned to take advantage of a larger proportion of those sales than most.

The less predictable the value a customer gets out of a program requiring longer term customer investment and the more likely the value is to be poor when looking to redeem in the program, the closer the program becomes to being like Green Stamps. That’s an issue to be faced by all these airline programs providing diminishing returns for customers — and gutting the value (for customers) whether or not the airline is a huge financial success or a flop.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Delta is a different beast than United. More people seem to be willing to pay DL a premium than are willing to pay UA or AA a premium, and so that perception of DL being superior has some kind of halo effect on SkyMiles and SkyMiles.
I recently experienced some outstanding UA customer service when they re-booked me on Delta for an IRROPS situation to get me home on time (I believe that my status determined my excellent recovery because everyone else in line got rebooked on UA flights the next day), and you are right-Delta has a better product than UA. I couldn't take my business over to them because their route network wouldn't work as well for me, but I sure was impressed.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The less predictable the value a customer gets out of a program requiring longer term customer investment and the more likely the value is to be poor when looking to redeem in the program, the closer the program becomes to being like Green Stamps. That’s an issue to be faced by all these airline programs providing diminishing returns for customers — and gutting the value (for customers) whether or not the airline is a huge financial success or a flop.
Frequent flyer programs have thrived because they offer a product that has a different value to the consumer than it does to the airline. In an era of 60% load factors, the marginal cost of a redemption was very small -- especially when you could get someone to redeem for an aspirational award. For example, I used miles to fly LH F, which isn't something I'd ever actually pay for -- so LH didn't lose any revenue; they just had to cater an extra meal.

However, in today's eras of 85%+ load factors and monetized front cabins, there's a real cost to redemptions: every seat redeemed is a seat that the airlines can't sell, and it may well be the last seat available on the plane when all is said and done. That's what's leading to these spending-based reward systems -- and, I agree, it may be a death knell for the concept of frequent flyer programs in general.

If I can't plausibly earn enough miles to redeem an award, why should I care about earning any at all? And if I have to spend $100K to earn an award that would cost me $1K in cash, why shouldn't I just use a cash-back card, or the CSR at 1.5 cents per point?

If UA wants MileagePlus to remain relevant, they need to walk back some of the changes that they've made. The fact that they're complaining about Chase is a good sign, as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps they'll eventually realize that the status quo isn't going to get the job done indefinitely.
GUWonder, entropy, Boraxo and 10 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Frequent flyer programs have thrived because they offer a product that has a different value to the consumer than it does to the airline. In an era of 60% load factors, the marginal cost of a redemption was very small -- especially when you could get someone to redeem for an aspirational award. For example, I used miles to fly LH F, which isn't something I'd ever actually pay for -- so LH didn't lose any revenue; they just had to cater an extra meal.

However, in today's eras of 85%+ load factors and monetized front cabins, there's a real cost to redemptions: every seat redeemed is a seat that the airlines can't sell, and it may well be the last seat available on the plane when all is said and done. That's what's leading to these spending-based reward systems -- and, I agree, it may be a death knell for the concept of frequent flyer programs in general.
This is an interesting point. It's long been my opinion (disputed by others here though) that the relative value of status and redemption benefits on airlines (especially US airlines) are extremely lucrative compared to other industries with loyalty programs. I can't imagine getting what is easily a 30+ percent rebate on $12,000 of spend pretty much anywhere else (at least not where I'm buying a relatively low-margin product -- "30% off" department stores not included). Lower load factors were a great reason why airlines could afford it though, which makes it interesting what the future holds.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm not sure if the situation has changed in the past 5 years.
Anecdotally, I will say yes, that AmEx acceptance has increased in the US in the last 5 years.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by findark
This is an interesting point. It's long been my opinion (disputed by others here though) that the relative value of status and redemption benefits on airlines (especially US airlines) are extremely lucrative compared to other industries with loyalty programs. I can't imagine getting what is easily a 30+ percent rebate on $12,000 of spend pretty much anywhere else (at least not where I'm buying a relatively low-margin product -- "30% off" department stores not included). Lower load factors were a great reason why airlines could afford it though, which makes it interesting what the future holds.
You’re easily getting $4000+ back in rebate from $12,000 of your own money spent on air travel? That must be some very interesting and selective travel purchase habits you have.

I have no doubt that most UA MP customers are nowhere close to easily getting a 30+ percent rebate from their UA flight ticket purchases.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You’re easily getting $4000+ back in rebate from $12,000 of your own money spent on air travel? That must be some very interesting and selective travel purchase habits you have.
Not really. If you value GPUs at $400 each, RPUs at $150 each, and miles at $0.01 each, a 1K flyer is getting a minimum of $4,320 in value. You can quibble about the specific amounts, but it's not an unreasonable valuation for passengers who are able to use the certificates.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:00 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
...I can't imagine getting what is easily a 30+ percent rebate on $12,000 of spending pretty much anywhere else (at least not where I'm buying a relatively low-margin product -- "30% off" department stores not included).
It's related to the cost breakdown of air travel: high fixed costs vs. low variable cost.

The plane will fly from A > B regardless of how many seats are filled and you'll have the same fixed cost for the crew, the FAs, the fuel, the landing fees, the airport fees, etc., meaning the only variable costs are those relating directly to what a passenger would consume (can or two of coke, maybe a biscoff, whatever the FFPs are worth, etc.).

If the fixed cost to fly one Y seat from A > B is $100 (the airline is paying this regardless or not if the seat is occupied) and the variable costs is $10 (this is the extra the airline has to pay only when the seat is occupied) than as long as the airline scores at >$10 in revenue, they're coming out ahead. Sure, selling the seat for $11 does not make them profit but it reduces there losses by $1, and once the door to the plane closes with the seat empty, the seat spoils. Why? Because the airline has exceeded the $10 of variable costs to service the passanger.

So taking this all back to United and Chase's relationship - UA going to a revenue earning (miles_earned / $ vs miles_earned / distance) and revenue burning (miles_redeemed / $_fare vs miles_redeemed / distance) allowed the average customer to see the true value of a mile in terms of revenue vs the more opaque distance model. Once the average customer understood miles-in-terms-of-$'s vs. the more enchanting miles-in-terms-of-distance, the behavior shifted to favor the more lucrative bank programs with their no-nonsense $0.0150 travel value floor (or the flexibility to transfer to whatever partner on demand). Even worse for UA, this is not a unique-to-FT issue. This is something the average customer can (and did!) pick up on.

tl;dr - UA changed M+ from a travel reward program into a spending reward program but is struggling to balance 1. the cash-generating-cc-spend-value proposition against the 2. "free"-liability-generating-mileage-for-buying-tickets. The former aspect of M+ is not compelling enough to compete with pure spending programs (UR / MR) but UA's constrained in how generous it can be by the latter and all the while the banks continue to improve their offerings as they compete with other banks.
oopsz likes this.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jul 2, 2019 at 1:06 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

I have no doubt that most UA MP customers are nowhere close to easily getting a 30+ percent rebate from their UA flight ticket purchases.
My thought process was running pre-devaluation, but using the old conservative mile valuation of $0.015, my 1K qualification last year was at a minimum

12k PQD x 11 = 132k RDM ~= $2,000 of flight credit
GPU x 6: The value of a GPU is quite debatable; I have used mine mostly to Australia in the past couple years, making a $5,000 J ticket into a $2,000 Economy ticket, but of course YMMV. $500 seems to be a common float for a GPU, so call it $3,000 of GPU.
RPU x 4: RPU are tough to value as well, but call it $200 each as it's not too hard to find a route somewhere with a fare differential of $200 that clears an RPU.
CPU x ??: I actually don't use my RPUs because I clear CPUs whenever I would consider it, but the non-GPU upgrades I have received as a 1K collectively have saved me something like $1,000 out of pocket.

That's not to include savings on award fees, SDC fees, bag fees, etc. Even if you want to tally that up with a skeptical eye it's pretty clearly higher than 30% of my 12k that I'm getting in free stuff from United.

Sure, most customers aren't doing that well, but many top-tier elites are.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Not really. If you value GPUs at $400 each, RPUs at $150 each, and miles at $0.01 each, a 1K flyer is getting a minimum of $4,320 in value. You can quibble about the specific amounts, but it's not an unreasonable valuation for passengers who are able to use the certificates.
Just goes to show that most UA MP customers are nowhere close to easily getting a 30+ percent rebate from their UA flight ticket purchases. Most people don’t have travel and spend patterns like a 1K flyer.

If the rebate for 1ks is perceived as so consistently high, no wonder some UA management may still think of the UA elites as “over entitled”. UA already chopped the value of MP for the masses that subsidize the “over entitled”. Until UA puts away the MP chopping block, aren’t you concerned they will come after the “over-entitled elites” next?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 2, 2019 at 2:18 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just goes to show that most UA MP customers are nowhere close to easily getting a 30+ percent rebate from their UA flight ticket purchases. Most people don’t have travel and spend patterns like a 1K flyer.
Agreed; MileagePlus is designed to give better benefits to higher-tier Premier members. I wouldn't have thought that was surprising.

You can get a much better deal from nearly any company if you're doing $12K in business with them annually than if you're doing $1200.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:21 pm
Suspended

You can get a much better deal from nearly any company if you're doing $12K in business with them annually than if you're doing $1200.
Not necessarily true, at least when you consider the opportunity cost of not diverting away from spending on/with UA.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
My thought process was running pre-devaluation, but using the old conservative mile valuation of $0.015, my 1K qualification last year was at a minimum

12k PQD x 11 = 132k RDM ~= $2,000 of flight credit
GPU x 6: The value of a GPU is quite debatable; I have used mine mostly to Australia in the past couple years, making a $5,000 J ticket into a $2,000 Economy ticket, but of course YMMV. $500 seems to be a common float for a GPU, so call it $3,000 of GPU.
RPU x 4: RPU are tough to value as well, but call it $200 each as it's not too hard to find a route somewhere with a fare differential of $200 that clears an RPU.
CPU x ??: I actually don't use my RPUs because I clear CPUs whenever I would consider it, but the non-GPU upgrades I have received as a 1K collectively have saved me something like $1,000 out of pocket.

That's not to include savings on award fees, SDC fees, bag fees, etc. Even if you want to tally that up with a skeptical eye it's pretty clearly higher than 30% of my 12k that I'm getting in free stuff from United.

Sure, most customers aren't doing that well, but many top-tier elites are.

Remember there is a cap per reservation. 75k miles. So after $6818 PQD it doesn't much matter except for qualifying for GS. Unless of course you are buying one ways you might be able to get 75k x2, but I believe there are fare structuring issues with going that way.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by katan
Remember there is a cap per reservation. 75k miles. So after $6818 PQD it doesn't much matter except for qualifying for GS. Unless of course you are buying one ways you might be able to get 75k x2, but I believe there are fare structuring issues with going that way.
I achieved 1K over the course of more than one ticket though

My original point, though, is that airline loyalty programs are extremely generous on a rebate basis compared to the loyalty programs in other industries (rental cars, hotels, grocery stores, take your pick). Part of that is because I will regularly buy F out of pocket so I value upgrades at full price, whereas I would never pay x thousand for some top-floor suite (although I hear you don't usually get those anyway). But part of it also is that the FFPs historically have been very generous due to financial conditions that are much less true now than they were 25 years ago.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.