Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No cabin lights on during daylight - why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No cabin lights on during daylight - why?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Sitting in a window seat doesn't necessarily give you control of the window shade (i.e. 787-style).

Apropos: "Windows Shade" discussion number 1'542'552: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...shades-up.html
dav662 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Honestly I definitely prefer the dark cabin. I have no issues reading or doing work in a dark cabin, but trying to sleep in a bright cabin is basically impossible. I've ended up on many daytime domestic flights after connecting from Asia and all I want to do once I'm in my seat is sleep - not like I'm going to get much service anyway.
dav662 and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Agremeister
Honestly I definitely prefer the dark cabin. I have no issues reading or doing work in a dark cabin, but trying to sleep in a bright cabin is basically impossible. I've ended up on many daytime domestic flights after connecting from Asia and all I want to do once I'm in my seat is sleep - not like I'm going to get much service anyway.
That's what eye shades are for. Given that not everyone is going to be connecting from Asia, isn't it prudent to take steps to ensure you can sleep if that is important to you? Good eye shades are comfortable and give complete blackout. For what it's worth, the best eye shades I've found (although I would not consider myself an expert) are the ones Virgin Atlantic had in their Upper Class amenity kits from years ago. The current Polaris ones aren't bad, but have slight light leaks on my face. Again, if sleeping on a plane is important to you, it's worth the time to find a set of eye shades that work well for you.

If it's day out, I'm definitely of the opinion the cabin should be light, dark if it's night. And I always carry eye shades and ear plugs in my travel kit.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by jpezaris
That's what eye shades are for. Given that not everyone is going to be connecting from Asia, isn't it prudent to take steps to ensure you can sleep if that is important to you? Good eye shades are comfortable and give complete blackout. For what it's worth, the best eye shades I've found (although I would not consider myself an expert) are the ones Virgin Atlantic had in their Upper Class amenity kits from years ago. The current Polaris ones aren't bad, but have slight light leaks on my face. Again, if sleeping on a plane is important to you, it's worth the time to find a set of eye shades that work well for you.

If it's day out, I'm definitely of the opinion the cabin should be light, dark if it's night. And I always carry eye shades and ear plugs in my travel kit.
I'm under the impression that dim cabins create a more relaxing atmosphere.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I'm under the impression that dim cabins create a more relaxing atmosphere.
I'm not. When it's daytime it's daytime and I don't want my body to think otherwise.

Just yesterday I got a strange look when I lifted up the shade in the F cabin of a mad dog. It was the only shade that was up and I could see the guy next to me was "dude, really?".

Are people turning into vampires??
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Actually I have no problems with the Shades on during night as it is dark outside and the sun does not get into my eye. I do not think the window seat gives the control of the window to any passenger. The crew have the control over it legally.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:40 pm

I always try to get a window seat on the "north" side of the plane for transcons and transatlantic flights, as that way I can keep the shade up but without worrying about the glare of the sunshine.

Haven't figured out how this would work on a "diagonal" flight (USA to/from Australia) -- depends on the timing as to which side gets most of the sun, but not sure how that works as it has been a long time since I flew to Australia & NZ.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Haven't figured out how this would work on a "diagonal" flight (USA to/from Australia) -- depends on the timing as to which side gets most of the sun, but not sure how that works as it has been a long time since I flew to Australia & NZ.
You're looking for sunflight.net
lupine likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by dav662
The crew have the control over it legally.
What is this supposed to mean?
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by findark
Wow! Thanks so much for the link, never knew.Thats great
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by demkr
Typically, I point out that I like to look out the window when it happens.
Was this asked by a fellow pax or by an FA? If FA, did the FA allow you to keep it open? I never had a pax asking me that, but did have an FA, and of course, I do comply because of the legal requirement to do so and not wanting to meet police on arrival (yes I believe small things like that can escalate very quickly if you deal with a bad-tempered FA).

With its Polaris branding, UA does indeed profile itself as the flag carrier for the narcoleptic. I still don't get how/why you are supposed to sleep on a westbound TATL.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
This is a good Website. It shows me that my upcoming UA29 16 hr 20 minute SFO-SIN flight will be almost entirely during daylight. I'm sure window shades down is enforced on that flight.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm not. When it's daytime it's daytime and I don't want my body to think otherwise.

Just yesterday I got a strange look when I lifted up the shade in the F cabin of a mad dog. It was the only shade that was up and I could see the guy next to me was "dude, really?".

Are people turning into vampires??
Your body can still think it's day time without having to need sunglasses during the entire flight.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
What is this supposed to mean?
It means that passengers have no say in keeping the window shades open or shut. The crew as the representatives of the Captain have the say. If they say keep it closed and if a passenger refuses then it could be escalated by them as not obeying the instructions of the flight crew. This is an offence. I do not know how it is in USA and FAA but in most countries not obeying the crew is an offence. The crew members are responsible for the safety and comfort of all the passengers. Hence if they request a passenger to either sit down or close the shades it is a lawful request and if any passenger interferes or not obeys the request then it can be construed as obstructing the crew doing their duty. Of course if the passenger refuses to close the crew will close it and then if the passenger opens it it becomes worse.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
In my experience, crew usually demands shades be shut on long haul international flights, but on shorter flights they give passengers control of the shades. Not just United, but all airlines I have flown including foreign airlines. I like the electronic shades on 787s - even when fully dimmed I can still see outside.

Cabin lights are usually on during boarding, meal times, and deplaning; off other times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.