Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diaper changing in the seat - Ick

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Baloney the claim that the lavs are too small. A completely bogus claim. If you are inclined to take an infant in diapers on a plane, we all should assume you have mastered the changing routine and are considerate enough of others not to do in on a seat (unless you do it on your couch at home...which we all doubt).
{E}ver tried changing a toddler's diaper in a 738/739 first or economy lav changing table? Toddler's are longer than the table. I have and it is not easy. One can barely manoeuver in there, forget changing a diaper.

'mastering' the routine of changing a diaper. It's difficult to do it on steady ground with a squirming toddler, forget a plane lav!

I am not saying the mom was right or wrong, but if she used a changing pad, cleaned the seat with wipes and properly secured the diaper, it shouldn't be an issue. People strip down to their undies and change at their seats, haven't they mastered the act??? Can't they change in the lav??
COSPILOT and Dublin_rfk like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 17, 2019 at 12:12 pm Reason: discuss the issues; not the poster(s)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
People strip down to their undies and change at their seats, haven't they mastered the act??? Can't they change in the lav??
What? Who does that?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by chavala

What? Who does that?
Long haul wide body biz seats, changing between regular clothes and PJs and vice versa, during sleep time. Seen it on UA, LH, TK, NH and TG
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

What? Who does that?
I only saw this once on a flight to/from Asia, as the guy was getting ready to sleep in the flat bed under the blanket just wearing underwear and socks. [No PJs were provided.]
chavala likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I've changed my daughter in several airplane lavatories, it can be done but you do have to be very on the ball as, iirc, there are no straps to secure the kid to the table.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Oh sure, I have changed a lap infant's wet diaper on my lap in UA seats, both Y and J.

This is a low-odor maneuver; the hygiene and risks are similar to changing the infant in a restaurant's dining/seating area.

This maneuver requires steely-eyed-missile-man skills -- even if you do everything right, there are still about two seconds of a loose-fire-hose situation. We happen to know that our infant has had a 0% failure rate in that situation with one exception when he was 3 days old, but your mileage may vary! Proceed with caution! If you wouldn't change the infant on your couch in a pinch, you shouldn't be trying it on a plane.

I always, always, always prefer the changing table -- no matter how cramped. It's possible to clean that area with enough wipes, and no one is going to try to eat off of any surface in there. AFAIK every UA aircraft in service now has at least one lav with a changing table. This was not always the case -- not too long ago some 757s lacked a changing table, but I think they have been retrofitted or retired (see Changing an Infant on a UA 757).

But the lap change is a fallback plan when the pilot has deployed the seatbelt sign for a long time (2+ hours) and when there are baby comfort/health risks; or in the more rare case when every changing-table lav is inop.

I will not lap-change a poop. It takes too much open-butt time to clean up and apply diaper cream. I will let our lap infant sit in his own poop for hours on a plane. Sorry, kid; but now you know what I feel like when we're parked in the LAX penalty box for an hour...
wrp96 and chavala like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:15 pm

What? Who does that?
I do, I switch my pants to yoga pants that I use for sleeping. What's the big deal? All done in a flash and under the blanket.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Changing a diaper that hasn't been pooped in at the seat, as long as there's an absorbent leakproof pad underneath the baby in case of an accident, isn't really that much of an issue. Lavatory changing tables are really quite small - I couldn't put my 20 month old toddler on one now, and she's fairly small for her age. (I don't really worry about her having an accident during a diaper change - she's learned to pee only when a diaper is on, apparently, even while sleeping. Next step, potty training.) We got lucky on our last international trip (just a couple of weeks ago) - she waited til the layover at Frankfurt to poop. I wasn't looking forward to trying a diaper change in the lav otherwise.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
(unless you do it on your couch at home...which we all doubt).
Fortunately the kids are out of diapers now, but I would venture to say I've changed over 1,000 diapers on a coach at home.

Three boys, 3+ years, at least a few diapers a day...easily over 1,000 diapers on a coach. I'm not hauling a kid upstairs into a room with a changing table just to change a diaper.

If you've never changed a diaper on a coach, I'm suspecting you've not changed a lot of diapers.
entropy, Halo117 and rishib like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Baloney the claim that the lavs are too small. A completely bogus claim. If you are inclined to take an infant in diapers on a plane, we all should assume you have mastered the changing routine and are considerate enough of others not to do in on a seat (unless you do it on your couch at home...which we all doubt).
It's not really an infant that is the issue. Kids wear diapers until they're between 2 and 3 years old during the day. My youngest is 16 months old and 27 inches long. When we flew at the end of May I had to change her, and she could only fit with bent legs on the changing table. If she were a little longer, I would probably just change her on the seat, too.

And that's the thing about parenting... you just do what you have to do at a certain point. You're not going to leave a kid sitting in their own urine / feces screaming and getting a diaper rash any longer than you really have to. If that means changing a kid on a sidewalk, on the floor, in the back of a car or on the seat of a plane, at a certain point you're just going to get on with it. Because the alternative is usually worse.
entropy, Halo117 and rishib like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
If this happens to me, and the FA ignores it, I’m going to take out my phone and start filming. So if you’re someone who thinks this is OK, be ready to have your rudeness reciprocated.
I'm going to suggest not filming some other person's child during a diaper change unless you want a visit from a not-so-friendly law enforcement agent who will be deeply interested in the contents of your phone and computer.
iluv2fly, Superguy and rishib like this.

Last edited by HoustonConsultant; Jun 17, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I'm going to suggest not filming some other person's child during a diaper change unless you want a visit from a not-so-friendly law enforcement agent who will be deeply interested in the contents of your phone and computer.
Thanks for the advice, I'll take my chances. My guess is the parent will stop and take their poopy kid into the lav where it belongs. And then I'll delete it before the coppers come : )

Edit to add. Come to think about it, it's a public place, so I wonder what law I'd be breaking. I think a good chance the cop would ask the parent why they didn't take the kid somewhere private if they didn't want anyone to see.

Last edited by chavala; Jun 17, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the advice, I'll take my chances. My guess is the parent will stop and take their poopy kid into the lav where it belongs. And then I'll delete it before the coppers come : )

Edit to add. Come to think about it, it's a public place, so I wonder what law I'd be breaking. I think a good chance the cop would ask the parent why they didn't take the kid somewhere private if they didn't want anyone to see.
Diaper change = exposure of certain child body parts, the filming of which without parental consent is most certainly against federal law.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by rishib
Diaper change = exposure of certain child body parts, the filming of which without parental consent is most certainly against federal law.
Don't show your child's body parts in public then. If you don't open a poopy diaper next to me you have nothing to worry about. Otherwise, I will do what I can to make your flight miserable as you are doing to me. The thought of it makes my stomach churn.
I don't even like fully clothed, nice smelling kids near me LOL
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
And any one with the least bit of digital forensics expertise could pull that out. Deleted often does not mean what one thinks.

You won't be dealing with Barney Fife in that instance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.