FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Diaper changing in the seat - Ick (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1974298-diaper-changing-seat-ick.html)

lupine Jun 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Diaper changing in the seat - Ick

Today on UA 599 (DEN to BOS) we were treated to a mom changing her baby's diaper on the seat. I feel sorry for whoever got seat 2A on the subsequent flight. She had a second child with her, but I still think she should have used the changing table in the lavatory.

Halo117 Jun 16, 2019 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by lupine (Post 31209610)
Today on UA 599 (DEN to BOS) we were treated to a mom changing her baby's diaper on the seat. I feel sorry for whoever got seat 2A on the subsequent flight. She had a second child with her, but I still think she should have used the changing table in the lavatory.

Before I was a parent I would have agreed but logistically speaking...it is impossible to do that with the new slimline lavs and turbulence...the seat is far easier...hope the mom used a disposable changing pad that would be good enough for. Complain to UA about the small lavs then more folks with use the changing tables.

The tables are no more than 18 by 24...really hard for any child over 6 months.

AirbusFan2B Jun 16, 2019 7:36 pm

I guess evidence of UA and pax jointly conspiring to deval First experience. Speaking of which - where were flight attendants?

StuckinITH Jun 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Did the mother then put the diaper in the seatback pocket?

My wife once saw somebody doing so on a seat near her on another airline and took advantage of that to move herself to an Economy+ seat from her Economy seat. But I guess moving from First Class to Economy would be less pleasant.

sfoeuroflyer Jun 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Baloney the claim that the lavs are too small. A completely bogus claim. If you are inclined to take an infant in diapers on a plane, we all should assume you have mastered the changing routine and are considerate enough of others not to do in on a seat (unless you do it on your couch at home...which we all doubt).

BearX220 Jun 16, 2019 9:33 pm

Once on the late lamented Northwest I was awaiting departure sitting in a right-side window seat in coach when the woman in the D seat began changing her baby... very messy / odorific diaper. A male FA walked past, spotted the scene, gave the woman hell, and upgraded me on the spot.

david_oz Jun 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Hence why I now wipe down the tray table on every flight. Other people look at me like I’m some kind of weirdo, but I’ve stopped caring about that.

chavala Jun 17, 2019 7:09 am

If this happens to me, and the FA ignores it, I’m going to take out my phone and start filming. So if you’re someone who thinks this is OK, be ready to have your rudeness reciprocated.

lupine Jun 17, 2019 7:15 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B (Post 31209632)

I guess evidence of UA and pax jointly conspiring to deval First experience. Speaking of which - where were flight attendants?

FA was busy building breakfasts in the galley and didn't seem to see this. She was a really good FA -- when a friend/nanny/relative came up from coach and inserted herself into the older child's seat with an apparent attempt to lodge there, the FA nicely told her that she needed to return to her cabin.

catocony Jun 17, 2019 7:27 am

I too find the "there's no room in the bathroom" to be BS. It might be tight but it's bigger than a seat. I guess if you have to change the baby outside the bathroom, throw down a blanket on the floor beside the galley - like at the door area where the FA's sit - and do the changing there. It's not the rest of the world's responsibility to maneuver our lives around the needs of your precious spawn.

Also, bring some headsets since I don't want to hear your kids videos and music.

vj_rama Jun 17, 2019 7:58 am

Originally Posted by catocony (Post 31210883)
I too find the "there's no room in the bathroom" to be BS. It might be tight but it's bigger than a seat. I guess if you have to change the baby outside the bathroom, throw down a blanket on the floor beside the galley - like at the door area where the FA's sit - and do the changing there. It's not the rest of the world's responsibility to maneuver our lives around the needs of your precious spawn.

Also, bring some headsets since I don't want to hear your kids videos and music.

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but how exactly is this situation forcing someone to maneuver their lives? Sounds like mom simply changed their kid on an airplane seat. I think it would be far more inconvenient to pax if she did it on the floor next to the galley/wash rooms.

I'm not seeing the major impropriety being committed by the mother. Maybe it's discourteous at worst (due to potential smells, etc) but I'd rather her change the baby on the seat than to have the FA watch her other kid while she goes to the lav.

Btw, I hope you realize how much other "crap" gets into the seat cushions on a continuous basis.

azepine00 Jun 17, 2019 8:27 am

I draw a line between #1 and #2 . One is quite manageable odorless and quick - the alternative often is waiting in lav line with a cranky kid... another one requires a trip to lav no matter how small those tables are...

JetAway Jun 17, 2019 8:35 am

Originally Posted by vj_rama (Post 31210999)
Btw, I hope you realize how much other "crap" gets into the seat cushions on a continuous basis.

I certainly hope no one is changing adult diapers in the seat.

bambinomartino Jun 17, 2019 9:08 am

A few months ago I was on a flight that had to return to Toronto due to a medical emergency. I believe it was caused by an infant falling from the changing table and hitting his head quite badly.

The changing facilities in most of today's aircraft are extremely cramped. For me and my wife, changing a baby on an airplane is a two-person job: one of us is doing the actual changing, the other right outside the lavatory holding/passing things as necessary.

I must say BearX220's on-the-spot upgrade is giving me ideas...

entropy Jun 17, 2019 9:33 am

What's the big deal? As long as there's a changing pad?