Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United lifetime club membership going away notice?? (is this UC or United.com Club?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United lifetime club membership going away notice?? (is this UC or United.com Club?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: vx diamond

Any other lifetime United club members get an email today that they will no longer honor the membership ?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I sense a class action coming from this. If true, I don't get United would go this route. They don't sell those memberships anymore. Just wait it out.
boss315 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

We appreciate you being lifetime member of the United Club. However, we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 1st, 2021.

Your current membership expires in 30 days and we won’t charge your credit card for renewal.

We hope you enjoyed your membership in the United Club and we look forward to seeing you on board soon
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've nt gotten email yet. Someone else who did said the message they received included this:

We appreciate you being lifetime member of the United Club. However, we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 1st, 2021.
Your current membership expires in 30 days and we won’t charge your credit card for renewal.
We hope you enjoyed your membership in the United Club and we look forward to seeing you on board soon

That doesn't make much sense to me -- that the program is over in about 2 years but lifetime memberships expire in 30 days...

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jun 10, 2019 at 10:14 am
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Are you sure this is real? Aside from the grammatical error, ("you being [a} lifetime member"), why wouldn't they offer you a renewal? Smells like a spam or phishing email.
ContinentalFan and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've nt gotten email yet. Someone else who did said the message they received included this:

That doesn't make much sense to me -- that the program is over in about 2 years but lifetime memberships expire in 30 days...
Why would a lifetime membership include a renewal?

This sounds more like the United.com Club, not the United Club. The United Club definitely isn’t going away, although they are making changes to the program — even members need a same-day *A boarding pass (as detailed extensively in another thread).
jhayes_1780 and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UA GS
Did anyone notice the date.......April 1st.

I have a lifetime membership purchased in the 90's. I haven't received the email cited by OP.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Jun 10, 2019 at 10:10 am Reason: Sp
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I hope it’s the United 25 dollar a year membership not the United club lounge .Its the lifetime part that makes the email confusing .
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
I agree -- the message seems more in line with the united.com club (which we know is going away) and less in line with the United Club. I was nt aware, though, that there ever were lifetime memberships to the united.com club. Did that come with the TravelBankl credit card? That's just another bit of weirdness.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Awkwardly-written, almost seems to me like spam. But the United.com Club explanation makes more sense.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My guess this is more likely
"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019
but exceptionally poorly worded ( & lifetime?) and ending April 2020

and not related to UC membership and
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

if it was phishing there would be links.
Xyzzy and wxguy like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
My guess this is more likely
"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019
but exceptionally poorly worded ( & lifetime?) and ending April 2020

and not related to UC membership and
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

if it was phishing there would be links.
Correct, this is NOT the lounge. It's the $25/year program that allows you to accrue $5 per booking into your TravelBank.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I bet the phone agents have been fielding irate phone calls all morning from lifetime United Club members.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxguy
Correct, this is NOT the lounge. It's the $25/year program that allows you to accrue $5 per booking into your TravelBank.
But we've known that was dead for a month r two... and to my knowledge there were no lifetime memberships associated with that. Still, that's really the only way this makes some semblance of sense.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
But we've known that was dead for a month r two. ...
UA may be notifying those whose United.com Club membership is expiring this month

Hopefully they clean up the message before next month

.. and to my knowledge there were no lifetime memberships associated with that. ....
yeah, that makes no sense

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.