Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United add ANY flights for NJ teacher's convention week?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does United add ANY flights for NJ teacher's convention week?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

I guess the best answer is the "they have to fly the plane back" argument. I think some of the other answers aren't quite right....there are 1.3mm public school students in NJ, probably 2/3 of whom live within an hour of newark. I realize leisure isn't the target audience but $800-1000 r/t on a full plane would probably be fairly profitable if only they didn't have to fly it back much less full.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tubulus
... I realize leisure isn't the target audience but $800-1000 r/t on a full plane would probably be fairly profitable if only they didn't have to fly it back much less full.
Very few people are going to make a long weekend trip at that sort of price for a family of 4, 5, .... most certainity not a plane full. And it involves a set of return flights which will go lightly load in one direction. So even at those ulikely fares, the effective fare would be half those amounts and that sort of fare would probably be lower than the route the aircraft is already being used for.

The economics do not appear to be there and if it was UA would be doing it -- because they do such things for other special events which gather top dollar fares. If the revenue was there, UA would chase it. But UA is not a public service, it is a business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.