Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any way out of this change fee?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Amtrak, BonVoy, Global Entry
Thanks for the replies. The return from CDG is scheduled on Wednesday so there is a small window of opportunity to get a flight to France to make the return. We immediately reported the incident to the carbieneri so I do have a police report.

Since the embassy was closed, all we had to go by was the information from Air France and then what we could find from Google.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: UA
I would not have risked flying with a temporary passport because of the possibility of a passport check even from a Schengen flight. If the check in agent used timatic it would say no even with the departure country as Italy; but the biggest concern is the passport checks.

Beware: passport control booths in operation at CDG 2F (Schengen)

Have you looked if the travel insurance would cover the change fee?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:40 am

At the very least I would have gotten a Police Report stating the robbery plus a Driver's License. I believe there is a rule stating that you are allowed to leave the Schengen back to the US if you have proper documentation of the robbery. What happens if your fligh happens on a date when the Embassy is closed due to a holiday? Just imagine the change fees.

The local EU police database must have access to the passport database and can inform passport control of your lost passport.

It helps to have a copy of the front page of your passport.

There must be a way for the Schengen Passport system to look you up and process you out manually which may take extra tme.

It's a misnomer that you need a passport to leave Europe back to the US because I'm sure people have lost their passport in an airport restroom etc. What happens if an airline staff member damaged your passport or it got lost between checkin and Passport Control? The APIS Database approved you for travel hence a missing document. You can't be held hostage in the EU and besides I would be reapplying for a new passport upon return home.
​​​​​.

The US cannot refuse a citizen entry simply for not having a paddport. You may get questioned about your identity. Having a Global Entry card may help as well as its linked to the passport.

I think it would be a great idea to allow your GE card to act like a machine readable passport. Im almost wondering can the US issue two passport books and one you take and one you leave at home and can be mailed in situations like the OP's) If Paddport A is lost Passport B is activated and you can get Passport A replaced. Or keep Passport B on file at the US Embassy and replace it on the spot.

​​​​​​

Last edited by danielonn; Jun 3, 2019 at 4:49 am
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: 1K
You can definitely have two passport books- one with the original 10 year expiry, and one with a 1 year expiry, if my memory serves me. However, to apply for the 2nd passport you have to prove that you have sent your passport out for a visa and in the meantime have another trip planned during the time the passport is out for the visa.

Originally Posted by danielonn
At the very least I would have gotten a Police Report stating the robbery plus a Driver's License. I believe there is a rule stating that you are allowed to leave the Schengen back to the US if you have proper documentation of the robbery. What happens if your fligh happens on a date when the Embassy is closed due to a holiday? Just imagine the change fees.

The local EU police database must have access to the passport database and can inform passport control of your lost passport.

It helps to have a copy of the front page of your passport.

There must be a way for the Schengen Passport system to look you up and process you out manually which may take extra tme.

It's a misnomer that you need a passport to leave Europe back to the US because I'm sure people have lost their passport in an airport restroom etc. What happens if an airline staff member damaged your passport or it got lost between checkin and Passport Control? The APIS Database approved you for travel hence a missing document. You can't be held hostage in the EU and besides I would be reapplying for a new passport upon return home.
​​​​​.

The US cannot refuse a citizen entry simply for not having a paddport. You may get questioned about your identity. Having a Global Entry card may help as well as its linked to the passport.

I think it would be a great idea to allow your GE card to act like a machine readable passport. Im almost wondering can the US issue two passport books and one you take and one you leave at home and can be mailed in situations like the OP's) If Paddport A is lost Passport B is activated and you can get Passport A replaced. Or keep Passport B on file at the US Embassy and replace it on the spot.

​​​​​​
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
To return to the question that OP actually asked, there is no formal policy for a UA change fee waiver in these circumstances. A helpful phone agent might waive the fee (would require supervisor override) or you might get the charge reversed by writing to customer care afterwards. But I would assume I will have to pay the fee, and hope that it's covered by travel insurance.
jb64 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.