Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Clearing customs without bags test, CDG/GVA/ZRH to IAD to USA destination (finished)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clearing customs without bags test, CDG/GVA/ZRH to IAD to USA destination (finished)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cur
Intl-to-Intl flights have been thru-checked at IAH for at least 6 years now.

then they recall your bags and do a search . it's not rocket science, it's baggage science.
Yes, Intl-to-Intl baggage transfer is available at six US airports... at least according to one DOT document that's out there. This is through checking of Intl-to-Domestic baggage which I don't believe has ever been done other than this test program at IAD.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
I thought of that too, but then thought of all the fine, creamy French cheeses that Americans would love to bring back but can't!
And don't forget the key word: "smelly". Those are our favorites. Not something that would be served in Polaris Business......
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Deleted.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Jul 7, 2019 at 8:40 pm Reason: Duplicate of earlier post
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Spoiler

I got the impression that the airport authority would get the final say.
I would have thought Customs would have the final say. Which group stands to save money from this change in process ? I think that will be the deciding factor (assuming any risk of prohibited goods entering the US is acceptable - although this might not necessarily change regardless of passengers carrying their baggage through entry screening)
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Aspen
I would have thought Customs would have the final say. Which group stands to save money from this change in process ? I think that will be the deciding factor (assuming any risk of prohibited goods entering the US is acceptable - although this might not necessarily change regardless of passengers carrying their baggage through entry screening)
It was a CBP final say, but before and later it will require the airport’s baggage handling systems to be in on the action for it to continue and not be a trial.

This was a very different thing than CBP Preclearance. This was clearance on arrival but done in ways where more is done behind the scenes and out of sight of many of the arriving passengers than many passengers realize.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.