Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding Question on UA with minor's Passport expiring within the next 2 months.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Question on UA with minor's Passport expiring within the next 2 months.

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC

Heading to Naples on this Wednesday. Flying into NYC early this Tuesday. I just noticed my young daughters passport (minor) expires in late July. We are returning June 12th. Will UAL let her board since it expires inside of 6 months? Second should I be worried if UAL lets us on, that she will be denied entrance into Italy because she is inside of the 6 month expiration date? I can run by the NYC passport offices and get the 24 hour new passport on Tuesday and pick it up Wednesday, but that could be a huge pain for timing, not sure how big an issue this will be? My passport expires in 2024. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Your daughter will need a new passport. The State Department says "Must have at least six months validity remaining beyond your planned date of departure from the Schengen area."
Old May 26, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA won't let her board if she doesn't meet Italy's entry requirements. You can run her data through TIMATIC, the same database UA will use, at the link below. If she requires additional validity, pick up the new passport. If not, just get it done in the normal course on return.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC
Aussienarelle and nancypants like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Six Month Passport Validity Rule – 6 Month Validity Rule for Visitors Explained
Europe
In Europe, the rule was signed by a group of countries, and it is known as the Schengen Treaty. These countries include Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.The Schengen Treaty refers to a 3+3 rule where the passport must have a three-month validity and maximum stay time is three months. So, together the passport must have a minimum of six months validity to enter and stay in the country
nancypants likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I see the State Department site is incorrect.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just to be clear, two months validity will not suffice. A new passport is needed. UA will not permit her to check-in for the flight.
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I see the State Department site is incorrect.
It often is. Timatic is the correct resource for these questions, as that's what the airlines use at check-in.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Your daughter will need a new passport. The State Department says "Must have at least six months validity remaining beyond your planned date of departure from the Schengen area."
The US State Department's website is beyond useless and in many cases, including here, totally inaccurate.

However it doesn't matter for the OP. Your daughter WILL need a new passport.

The rule for the Schengen Area, of which Italy is part, is that third country nationals (including the US) must have passports valid for at least three months beyond the intended date of departure from Schengen (which is very different to six months beyond date of entry as the Dept of State says). With an intended date of departure from Schengen of 12th June, your passports must be valid until at least 12th September.

With tomorrow being a national holiday and so no chance of getting a same day renewal at a passport office, I'm afraid you are going to have to postpone your trip. Call United, explain your case very contritely and politely. The normal case is that you'll have to pay change fee plus difference in fare to reschedule, and that's what you should expect. It's possible that UA staff will take pity and do what they can to help, possibly a waiver of the change fee. There's no guarantee of that at all, and UA owes you nothing, but be polite, explain it's your fault and there's a tiny smidgen of hope. Good luck
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
With tomorrow being a national holiday and so no chance of getting a same day renewal at a passport office, I'm afraid you are going to have to postpone your trip.
The OP is flying Wednesday. The process can be started on Tuesday, and completed same day or early Wednesday.
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Thanks for the info, looks like I am going to be getting the Tuesday appointment. Glad I caught this now,but sure wish I'd caught it earlier in the week when I could do something about it. Terrible trying to get appointments booked on a holiday weekend. Further question, is will UAL let her board DEN - EWR? Won't they check the passport on the opening leg of the trip? Or do I need to re-book her one way to EWR and then re-book her EWR-NAP flights and onward?
Old May 26, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
Thanks for the info, looks like I am going to be getting the Tuesday appointment.
You never said she wasn't going to be with you in New York. Even if they do let her board, I'm not sure if you can get this done at the passport office without her. At the very least, you won't have passport pictures.
Old May 26, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA
Theoretically you may be able to get a new passport at the New York City office. I have heard anecdotally that walk in appointments are permitted -- but I do not know anyone personally that has done it.

For a walk in appointment it is best to go as soon as possible when arriving in New York -- and have all the paperwork and photo ready.

UA will not allow boarding and Italy will not allow entry.

Edit -- just saw the response -- where is the daughter now?
Old May 26, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Further question, is will UAL let her board DEN - EWR?
How long is your stop in New York? If it's over 24 hours, you're probably okay. If it's <24 hours, they will treat it as an international check-in. You will know at T-24, when you try to check-in on line.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Thanks for the info, looks like I am going to be getting the Tuesday appointment. Glad I caught this now,but sure wish I'd caught it earlier in the week when I could do something about it. Terrible trying to get appointments booked on a holiday weekend. Further question, is will UAL let her board DEN - EWR? Won't they check the passport on the opening leg of the trip? Or do I need to re-book her one way to EWR and then re-book her EWR-NAP flights and onward?
They will not let her board any part of a trip where she will need a valid passport.

There are stories where someone wants to board a flight without a passport saying that when they get to the connecting airport that someone will bring it to them. That's also a no-go.

I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable flier but I was caught with this on a USA-SIN flight a few years back. The GS agents were sympathetic but stated that UA would be fined considerably for letting me on the plane. In addition, once getting to SIN, they would have to transport me back to the US, probably in Y.

Good luck.
wxguy likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
They will not let her board any part of a trip where she will need a valid passport.
I don't think that's the case if EWR is a stopover. But OP will find out for sure at T-24.
Old May 26, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The OP is flying Wednesday. The process can be started on Tuesday, and completed same day or early Wednesday.
Oops, yes my bad. With Wednesday travel there's a chance with a same day appointment Tuesday. A few years ago one of my staff needed a same day appointment to get a passport (he'd lost his) for the next day travel, and he got it. Good luck.

Here's the info about the Colorado passport office in Aurora/Denver. Start calling now (even though it's Sunday)

https://www.us-passport-service-guid...rt-agency.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.