Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AM PDX-IAD cancelled for most of July

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

They were very nice about giving me a refund PDX-IAD when they changed PDX-DEN-IAD.
I was able to get a non-stop on AS PDX-DCA.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Just to follow up... UA today posted a lot of close-in frequency reductions for July that are a direct result of the MAX grounding. I am pretty confident in assuming this is one such cancellation.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
What TATL destinations can someone get to from PDX through IAD that they can't also get to by connecting at ORD or EWR?
None. But that’s not the best way to look at it.

ORD has two drawbacks compared to IAD.

1) Fewer connections to Europe. They don’t fly to MAD, BCN, LIS, for example.

2) The European arrival times from ORD are not conducive for those needing to work the next day. AMS, BRU, MUC all arrive after 9am. The IAD flights arrive around 7am.

So the next option is EWR. However, UA only has one daytime flight PDX-EWR. It arrives at 2p. With many EWR-Europe flights leaving around 8pm, that’s not a great option either.

My point is a 3pm arrival into IAD is a significant loss for PDX-based UA fliers seeking to go to Europe. Yes, they can still get there but not nearly as easily or conveniently.
BearX220, artvandalay and am1108 like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
What TATL destinations can someone get to from PDX through IAD that they can't also get to by connecting at ORD or EWR?
Many travelers with experience of EWR choose not to connect to an afternoon / evening TATL at EWR. Chances of trouble too high.
am1108 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are many reasons why a connection at IAD is better than EWR or ORD. But, in a world where frequencies and capacity must be cut, the question is whether UA will lose traffic if the routing is through one of the "lesser" hubs. For the most part I don't think that most passengers consider all of this. They or their TA look at the screen to determine availability and pricing and they make a selection.
am1108 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cmhua777

None. But that’s not the best way to look at it.

ORD has two drawbacks compared to IAD.

1) Fewer connections to Europe. They don’t fly to MAD, BCN, LIS, for example.

2) The European arrival times from ORD are not conducive for those needing to work the next day. AMS, BRU, MUC all arrive after 9am. The IAD flights arrive around 7am.

So the next option is EWR. However, UA only has one daytime flight PDX-EWR. It arrives at 2p. With many EWR-Europe flights leaving around 8pm, that’s not a great option either.

My point is a 3pm arrival into IAD is a significant loss for PDX-based UA fliers seeking to go to Europe. Yes, they can still get there but not nearly as easily or conveniently.
In the case of aircraft shortage, your first word in the post ('None") is probably all that really matters in this case. Sure, you can look at it in different ways, such as ORD TATL flights arriving later other than the first LHR flight but that's splitting hairs. If you don't cut the PDX-IAD flight, what would you choose that makes more sense?
Old May 28, 2019, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Often1
For the most part I don't think that most passengers consider all of this. They or their TA look at the screen to determine availability and pricing and they make a selection.
Inexperienced travelers, or those entirely price-driven? Yes.

Travelers used to dom --> intl transfers who have been through a bunch of eastern US hubs? No. Those who know would rank an EWR transfer last and go to some lengths to avoid?

Any occasional traveler who has been burned once in the past, cooling their heels in RIC or BUF or CLE waiting out an ATC or weather hold while their EWR-XXX TATL takes off without them? Also no. It only takes one busted trip to teach people to avoid EWR.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
Many travelers with experience of EWR choose not to connect to an afternoon / evening TATL at EWR. Chances of trouble too high.
That's true but it impacts flights from the West Coast far less than others. By the time the FAA starts clamping things down at EWR, a flight from PDX would be well on its way.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Just one data point; I would have booked PDX-IAD-BCN for a trip in July and with the schedule change and elimination of that flight, I'm now going to fly Delta PDX-AMS-BCN instead. There goes a $6K loss that won't be attributed to the MAX grounding but is indirectly related.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by noah
Just one data point; I would have booked PDX-IAD-BCN for a trip in July and with the schedule change and elimination of that flight, I'm now going to fly Delta PDX-AMS-BCN instead. There goes a $6K loss that won't be attributed to the MAX grounding but is indirectly related.
It's only a "loss" to United if the seat you would have purchased goes out empty - which, based on summer load factors, almost definitely will not happen.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:38 pm
Formerly known as mmihalik

Well this comes as a surprise

All,

Just happened to learn about this change by accident. No notification from United, just a different itinerary that I wasn't even warned about or asked to accept.

This is my outbound flight connecting to onward flight to Lisbon in Polaris. Plenty of connection time at IAD. Just more concerned about connection in Denver in case of weather or some other delay.

Still retained my preferred exit row seats for my wife and I, and have an Mileage based upgrade request pending.

Will have to think about possible options.

Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.