Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experience with cancelled flight last Sunday 19 May 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with cancelled flight last Sunday 19 May 2019.

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have been in this situation and availability changes very dynamically. I have been on the phone and after some work the agent finds space and just as they are going to book it, it disappears. And the reverse, the agent is looking, looking and sees nothing and then out of the blue something opens up.

It is literately a second by second situation - there were probably at that same instance other agents looking for the same available -- such as for the plane full of people that were canceled with you and many other flights.
Just to reinforce what @WineCountryUA is saying, I had a situation a few years ago where the counter agent found me a seat as had it booked out from under her as she was trying to get some other details in order (I think it was the follow-on flight). The next flight she found me, she grabbed the seat and booked it in the computer, printing me the boarding pass before going on to the next connection to get me home. I got on my flight, had someone come up and try to claim my seat -- I showed my printed boarding pass to the FA who looked at his hand-scrawled boarding pass and he had to go find another seat.

IRROPS under any condition can be annoying but widespread weather problems make it escalate very quickly and I really feel bad for the agents who have to deal with short-tempered passengers.
jsloan and wrp96 like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by threeoh
It's a little more complicated than that, the airport is owned by the City and County of San Francisco but in neither the City nor the County. For example, SF's minimum wage law doesn't apply there. It's basically in unincorporated San Mateo County. Fuller discussion over at a.net:

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1205305

Interesting info in the post that quotes from Air Cal, et. al. v. CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO

I think it's best described as "a special case".
Yes, a "special case" but the "special case" line draws roughly a distinction between city services (where its San Francisco) and County services (where it is not San Francisco, but San Mateo). For example the County of San Francisco has a 8.5% sales tax, its 8.75% at SFO, because it is in San Mateo County. Ditto the split between the police (SFPD) and prosecution (San Mateo County).

Air Cal addressed the applicability of the SF "living wage" law, and found that it only applied if the leases of the airlines, etc, incorporated it. But that was because it was in San Mateo County, which has never been in doubt.

There was some controversy 10 years ago or so about who gets the Jet Fuel Tax at SFO, San Francisco County or San Mateo County. My memory is that it was resolved via a split, although I may be wrong.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:37 pm

Good to know, but isn't the conventional wisdom here that a (good) agent is always more effective than online rebooking?
Old May 29, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GregoryGardner
Good to know, but isn't the conventional wisdom here that a (good) agent is always more effective than online rebooking?
It depends upon what you need. You asked about the simple solution of rebooking on the next flight with available space. That's something that I'd feel perfectly comfortable doing on the app (and have done so). Now, if you need something more complicated -- delaying your return by a day, changing to a nearby airport that's not available in the app, etc., then you need an agent.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
It depends upon what you need. You asked about the simple solution of rebooking on the next flight with available space. That's something that I'd feel perfectly comfortable doing on the app (and have done so). Now, if you need something more complicated -- delaying your return by a day, changing to a nearby airport that's not available in the app, etc., then you need an agent.
actually, even the app can handle much of this. I don’t know the exact parameters, but during IRROPS, it definitely gives alternate airports (going to SFO will allow SJC, for example) and I think allows rebooking + 2 days. it won’t offer OAL options (maybe *A in case of International, but I’ve only seen the tool for domestic), so you’d need to call for that. So if OP was looking for AA, they would have needed to call. For WN, only WN channels would work, and UA (or any other carrier you might be booked on) wont and can’t help there.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I don’t know the exact parameters, but during IRROPS, it definitely gives alternate airports (going to SFO will allow SJC, for example)
There is a limited set of airports included. It's a very odd one -- for example, for AUS, it's AUS/GRK/ACT/IAH. GRK (Killeen) makes sense, but UA doesn't offer service to ACT (Waco), and they're missing SAT and CLL (College Station), even though both are closer than IAH.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
I live so close to ORD and the fares are generally so reasonable that driving this route is never an appealing option for me in general. Having said that, I certainly would have rented a car if there really had not been a seat for me the following day or the weather had caused more problems.

I would also like to emphasize for a third time that the agent calling my destination airport by the wrong name was only an issue for me in the context of losing confidence in someone who was not aware of the time in my location. Had I been connected with someone who seemed more ready willing and able to help me solve my problem I would not remark on it.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Clay_C.
I would also like to emphasize for a third time that the agent calling my destination airport by the wrong name was only an issue for me in the context of losing confidence in someone who was not aware of the time in my location. Had I been connected with someone who seemed more ready willing and able to help me solve my problem I would not remark on it.
I totally understand your frustration. Under ordinary circumstances, I would just HUACA to save myself the wasted time from working with someone whom I can't trust. However, with the long queue times, HUACA isn't really a good option to suggest.

But personally I would not have bothered calling in the first place. As others have already explained above, during IRROPS, things happen quickly such that seats get snapped up within minutes of a cancellation. Those same seats may well reappear by the boatload the next day, when people no-show because they've either changed plans or already found alternate means of travel. When I worked in reservations, I always told passengers who were stuck because of IRROPS and could not find a confirmed seat to just show up the next day and ask to be placed on standby. I believe the phone agents when they say that all the flights are booked, because I had seen the same scenario on my computer screen countless times before. But the phone agents don't know what happens at the airport, nor should they. The only way to find out is to actually be there as a standby passenger. Besides, some seats may also be canceled and become available to confirm by the next day. Flux the unfortunate reality of mass weather IRROPS.
Clay_C. and wrp96 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I live so close to ORD and the fares are generally so reasonable that driving this route is never an appealing option for me in general. Having said that, I certainly would have rented a car if there really had not been a seat for me the following day or the weather had caused more problems.

It sounds like you feel a non status flyer should be treated the same as a status flyer. Adding expertise in not just the United States, but every country UA offers flights to. I'm likely to drop from current Gold to zero status next year (previous 1K), but I understand that my expectations should be lowered. I don't agree with outsourcing call centers, but it's the norm. If you think UA, DL, AA. or WN cares about you play the lottery for better odds.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
It sounds like you feel a non status flyer should be treated the same as a status flyer. Adding expertise in not just the United States, but every country UA offers flights to. I'm likely to drop from current Gold to zero status next year (previous 1K), but I understand that my expectations should be lowered. I don't agree with outsourcing call centers, but it's the norm. If you think UA, DL, AA. or WN cares about you play the lottery for better odds.
I'm pretty sure WN doesn't have overseas call centers and in general have always found their agents to be of much more even quality. HUCA is way less of a thing.

My biggest concern is when overseas agents start saying "Chicago, Illinois" -- does not inspire confidence that they have any familiarity with U.S. geography or even UA's major hubs.
Clay_C. likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by threeoh
I'm pretty sure WN doesn't have overseas call centers and in general have always found their agents to be of much more even quality. HUCA is way less of a thing.

My biggest concern is when overseas agents start saying "Chicago, Illinois" -- does not inspire confidence that they have any familiarity with U.S. geography or even UA's major hubs.
OK, fine. Demand every airline employ only college grads with with both geography degrees, weather expertise, and strict knowledge of company policies. I keep my expectations pretty low.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:30 am

OK, fine. Demand every airline employ only college grads with with both geography degrees, weather expertise, and strict knowledge of company policies. I keep my expectations pretty low.
Can't say I've met a lot of Americans or foreigners, college educated or no, who say "Chicago, Illinois". Chicago is much more well known than Illinois and most foreigners probably couldn't tell you what state Chicago is in.

In my experience if someone says "Chicago, Illinois" it is because they are rotely reading off a list and not actually conceptualizing where you're flying from/to, which leads to potential errors.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

As I mention, I am not any kind of status holder with anyone and haven't been for almost a full decade now...so I don't really have strong feelings about what my treatment should be compared with those who are. It is certainly my opinion that any passenger deserves better service than I received from the first overseas phone agent I spoke with. I feel there is a lot of middle ground between "expertise" and what I experienced that is not too much to ask even in an IRROPS situation.

I will also add that I am 99% sure the calls we made that day to AA and WN were not connected to overseas call centers.

And no, I don't imagine for a moment that any of them care about me.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
As I mention, I am not any kind of status holder with anyone and haven't been for almost a full decade now...so I don't really have strong feelings about what my treatment should be compared with those who are. It is certainly my opinion that any passenger deserves better service than I received from the first overseas phone agent I spoke with. I feel there is a lot of middle ground between "expertise" and what I experienced that is not too much to ask even in an IRROPS situation.
Interesting you expected good customer service with no status. I'm the opposite - If I flew AA or DAL (which infrequent, but happens) - I'd know from experience it is going to be a train wreck to recover a cancelled flight.

The non-status call center agents aren't exactly, for the most part, the sharpest tools in the shed......
Old May 31, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Interesting you expected good customer service with no status
Well I will concede my expectations have been significantly lowered. Having said that, I do expect that when my flight is cancelled I can get someone on the phone who will at least pretend to be interested in getting me to my destination within 36 hours. I am crazy like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.