Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

“No crossed feet for takeoff or landing”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“No crossed feet for takeoff or landing”

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 5:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Snuggs
Pretty interesting set of responses.
Agreed. Not exactly FT at its finest.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I have been in some rough military landings. I now ask my wife to look straight forward while landing, rather than having her head sideways looking out the window. If your head gets jerked forward, having your head straight is much better for your neck.

Having both feet on the ground also helps your muscles keep your torso upright in a fast stop.
Old May 25, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
How ridiculous. I really wonder how some of these people get their jobs - or worse - who is the person interviewing them ?
I'm trying to figure out how an interviewer is supposed to figure out if a potential employee is going to misinterpret a safety regulation at some point in the future. You can't quiz someone on procedures until after they learn them.

If you want someone to blame, it would be the person training the flight attendant about the exact procedures used to secure the cabin for takeoff/landing. Don't blame the interviewer.
Old May 25, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Basically they dont want you to sprain or break your ankle incase there is some sort of minor jolt..... For your own safety..
nancypants and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. You'd never hear something like this on Singapore. Fly the Friendly Skies? Yeah right.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Biggest dilemma this flight attendant will EVER face in her career: a passenger with foot amputation who crossed their leg during take-off or landing.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by BearX220
It's because in a crash landing with high g forces and seatsets coming unglued, sitting with crossed legs makes you more likely to break your legs and be unable to self-evacuate. It is actually smart practice to wear lace-up shoes (less likely to fly off), non-synthetic fiber clothes (less likely to catch fire), and sit with your feet flat on the floor for takeoff and landing with wallet / phone / passport in pockets on your person. FA was dispensing excellent advice.
Unfortunately for me, I am always in slippers by take-off on international flights, and probably slouching backwards, partially asleep,

I was told by an FA once that you weren't allowed to have drinks on the center console during flight (please note: not during taxiing, takeoff or landing, but during level, stable flight at altitude) in spite of the slide-out shelf at the front to allow for multiple drinks. The{y} that informed us (myself and a stranger in the starboard pair) of this threatened me if I didn't open my tray table and place my drink on it. So I finished the drink promptly and handed her the empty glass, keeping my tray table stowed. I refused to communicate further with this nutcase during my entire 12+ hour flight and refused all dinner, etc. service so as to not cross her. My seat mate, a felow VFF, was shocked by this new "rule", created capriciously out of thin air, but we were both afraid to say or do anything lest she invoke the "impeding the duties of the flight crew" clause.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 2021 at 10:07 pm Reason: FT 12.2
Old May 25, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I was once told not to read the paper during takeoff. I was in an emergency exit seat and thought it was fair enough.

Last edited by Concerto; May 25, 2019 at 8:38 am
Old May 25, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I doubt that there are any formal rules about this for pax, but if you observe the jump seat FAs during the take off / landing phases, they almost always put their feet flat on the floor and hands on their quads/knees. It almost has to be part of their training. I do the same, particularly after a rejected take off at very high speed where I witnessed the unprepared hitting their heads on bulkheads and the seat in front of them, and lose items literally flying through the cabin. It really bugs me when people can’t be troubled to put their laptops away for a few minutes during this part of flight (have witnessed that several times, usually in premium cabins).
Old May 25, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
So the concept is that if the plane crashes and your legs are crossed, you might break them? What is the likelyhood that, if the plane crashes, you would still have your legs crossed? About zero, unless you are the coolest customer on the planet.
Old May 25, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by zombietooth
The{y}... threatened me if I didn't open my tray table and place my drink on it.
What did she threaten you with?

The well-established reality that a nontrivial percentage of cabin staff are vindictive, confrontational, apparently not rational, prone to inventing "rules" to subjugate / humiliate passengers, etc. does not change the simple fact that uncrossing your legs for takeoff and landing is good practice.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 2021 at 10:08 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 25, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by catocony
So the concept is that if the plane crashes and your legs are crossed, you might break them? What is the likelyhood that, if the plane crashes, you would still have your legs crossed? About zero, unless you are the coolest customer on the planet.
My thought too. Once trouble signals, 4.6 billion years of evolution kick in.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by catocony
It depends on the crash, the majority of minor crashes close to the ground (take off and landing) are survivable, so you would need your feet. It depends on the crash, but the likelihood that others will pull you out of the ac if you can't walk on your own is not very high. I always leave my shoes on for take off and landing on purpose, even though it is an inconvenience, just in case.
Here is an interesting article from someone who had to evacuate in a UA incident.:
https://medium.com/@SusannahFox/what...e-b05717355ed5
Old May 25, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by nk15
It depends on the crash, the majority of minor crashes close to the ground (take off and landing) are survivable, so you would need your feet.
This is correct. Think Asiana 214 @ SFO, United 232 @ Sioux City, Continental 1404 @ DEN, Air France 358 @ YYZ, maybe the recent Aeroflot crash at SVO. All cases where being able to walk / climb out of there in good shoes made a life-or-death difference. Most crashes are not instant obliteration -- there is a survival window that narrows if you are not ambulatory post-impact.
lincolnjkc, wrp96, ajGoes and 2 others like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So if I can uncross my legs immediately upon an FA demand, can't I do the same in the case of an emergency?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.