Wiki Posts
Search

UA flights, ticket issed by Swiss Air

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
UA flights, ticket issed by Swiss Air

Flight from EWR to Asia, EWR-ZRH in UA from ZRH on Swiss Airlines sold by Swiss Air. Question on UA flight still get all 1K benefits and can try to upgrade (Swiss Air lists fare as W class). Also full PQMiles on UA portion?
Old May 22, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taipei
Flight from EWR to Asia, EWR-ZRH in UA from ZRH on Swiss Airlines sold by Swiss Air. Question on UA flight still get all 1K benefits and can try to upgrade (Swiss Air lists fare as W class). Also full PQMiles on UA portion?
Yes.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:17 pm

It should be noted that the SDC benefit is not applicable for non UA issued tickets.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: 1K
misread original post (still don't believe SDC is available with UA to non UA flights)

Last edited by BZRORG; May 22, 2019 at 2:44 pm Reason: grammar
Old May 22, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
It should be noted that the SDC benefit is not applicable for non UA issued tickets.
Thanks ! I do not plan to SDC, but I will try make a stopover in ZRH (1+ day) on a SFO-ZRH-China flight. I wanted to do UA (Swiss also has non stop SFO-ZRH) on SFO-ZRH as for the longer stopover and power in seats (Swiss seems no power in Y class) and at least Y+ and upgrade chance on UA portion.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
some things will be difficult on Swiss ticket stock. What is it exactly that you are trying to do here?
Old May 22, 2019, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Fly on a good one way fare USA-ZRH-HKG with stop in ZRH, seems can not get the lower fare on UA web site.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Fly on a good one way fare USA-ZRH-HKG with stop in ZRH, seems can not get the lower fare on UA web site.
Unlike UA.com, LX.com permits mixed class bookings which is especially helpful if booking one way F or J tickets.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:32 am

No complimentary upgrades on Swiss. You’ll be essentially a *A Gold on Swiss and they won’t recognize anything beyond that. I don’t know how United upgrade certificates or upgrade with miles work on Swiss though.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Unlike UA.com, LX.com permits mixed class bookings which is especially helpful if booking one way F or J tickets.
Huh?

United.com permits mixed-class bookings. I'm not sure how helpful it is on a one-way ticket, really, because you'd need one-way F/J fares that allowed for end-on-end combinability, but it's certainly possible. Just use multi-city search.

Originally Posted by max_kolesne
I don’t know how United upgrade certificates or upgrade with miles work on Swiss though.
This seems to be the core question, and the answer is that it is possible to apply a GPU to a ticket issued by another airline. All OP needs to do is to pull up the reservation in their UA account and apply the certificate.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
This is how I like to do things. If it's a cheaper fare, then you'll earn more miles on another *A ticket. And if it's UA metal, and you put in your frequent flyer number, the flights should be in your profile, and then you can ask/apply the upgrade. Are you using miles or a GPU?

Old May 23, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Will use GPU. There are fares LAX/SFO-ZRH-HKG $460 one way, W class is bit higher so wanted make sure I can upgrade SFO-ZRH if I pay a higher fare.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As long as it's not Basic Economy (probably not with a W fare) you should be good on the GPU front.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
As long as it's not Basic Economy (probably not with a W fare) you should be good on the GPU front.
Actually, there are quite a few BE W fares now. That said, LX doesn't seem to have BE on LAX-HKG. In fact, I'm shocked to see that they even offer an LAX-HKG fare, but they do.

Note that the $460 fare is K; W is $860 one-way.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Actually, there are quite a few BE W fares now. That said, LX doesn't seem to have BE on LAX-HKG. In fact, I'm shocked to see that they even offer an LAX-HKG fare, but they do.

Note that the $460 fare is K; W is $860 one-way.
Yes I do note the $400 fare difference, but some days there is a higher fare than $460 fare, so difference is less but still hope to upgrade on UA. Also what is interesting on this fare, even the lowest fare to Asia (from LAX/SFO) Swiss allows two check bags(+1 far star GOLD) but without the added connections it seems you need pay for bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.