Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sometimes "the game" is maddening...

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Sometimes "the game" is maddening...

Flying DEN-ORD-FRA and onward today -- GPUs applied many weeks ago...
- DEN-ORD I start at #3 on the list, a couple of no-shows and top two are upgraded and I'm left at #1 . Oh well...
- ORD-FRA is under a 1.5 hour delay. People start bailing and for a while I'm sitting at #3 with 4 seats available. At approximately 2 hours before scheduled departure, top two are upgraded, and I'm sitting at #1 with two seats still available (in addition to the one blocked for crew rest). At T-90 minutes, inventory opens up in all of the upgrade classes, including PN/PZ. I call in to have UA push the upgrade through and am told it is under gate control ("but it looks good"). Sure enough, 5 minutes later, both of the remaining seats are gone and I'm still sitting at #1 with the cabin booked full.

For those who made it this far, thanks for reading. I realize that this is common and that this shouldn't surprise me, but it is frustrating! My one remaining hope is that so far only 42/50 are checked in at T-45 minutes before originally-scheduled departure, but I'm guessing that doesn't matter since we have a 1.5 hour delay until 4:00 pm CDT.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I feel your pain!
Old May 20, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
1 J pax left to check-in. I'm pulling for you!
Old May 20, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I feel your pain!
Originally Posted by iapetus
Appreciate it!
Old May 20, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Similar situation for me - I've been #1 on the list since check-in IAD-CDG, with 4 then 2 then 1 seat left. When checking my bag United offered to sell me the last seat for $829. Landed after my connecting flight in and it's now booked full.

Hope United likes their $829. (I also realize the flights to CDG are super-full today and it's possible someone else got re-accommodated into that seat.)

Premium Economy does make this slightly less painful than the old W-fare lottery; at least I've failed into a Premium Economy seat.

I did clear the GPU on the way back but feel like I get better real-life value out of business class on the overnights.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Back to 1 seat available, there is still hope for me!
Old May 20, 2019, 1:28 pm

I just want to tell you good luck, we're all counting on you.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Good luck! I was #2 EWR-FRA recently and two people who didn't check in saved me, and I was the last upgraded to J. Refresh that app!! And don't be afraid to board your original seat (I was upgraded on the plane).
Old May 20, 2019, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I just want to tell you good luck, we're all counting on you.
Arggg... The pressure .
In2ishn and MatthewLAX like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:44 pm

Aaaaand booked full again. (shakes fist) 4 people still need to check in though.... (or 3 if the blocked seat isn't included in the check-in total.)
Old May 20, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

I think that one pax is the crew rest. The app is showing checked in "full".

Originally Posted by raehl311
Aaaaand booked full again. (shakes fist) 4 people still need to check in though.... (or 3 if the blocked seat isn't included in the check-in total.)
Based on what I'm seeing it depends on whether you're looking at the app or the website. On my end website is showing 49/50 checked in, and app is showing "FULL".

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 2019 at 3:44 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 20, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger
I think that one pax is the crew rest. The app is showing checked in "full".
I currently see booked full, but checked in at 49.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

I currently see booked full, but checked in at 49.
On the website, or on the app? App is showing me booked “Full”, checked in “Full”.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Get in 9K ?

Website is showing 49/50 checked in, and app 50/50
Old May 20, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Website is showing 49/50 checked in, and app 50/50
Confirmed. That's an odd disparity ... not that I'm particularly surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.