Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to book international first on partners still? Award or Paid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to book international first on partners still? Award or Paid

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed; if there's a UA code on a flight, they will suppress all partner codes for that same flight.

It may be easier if there is at least one UA code on the itinerary (e.g., a domestic connector). You might also get Google Flights to pass you through to UA. I tried SFO-BLR; when I selected SFO-FRA-BLR / BLR-FRA-MUC-SFO, it didn't show United as a booking option, but when I selected SFO-FRA-BLR / BLR-FRA-LAX-SFO, with the last leg on UA, it gave me a booking link for United.com and I was able to click through successfully.

Also, once you have a booking on a 016 ticket, even if it's not exactly what you want, you may get less pushback from an agent than if you try to book it that way to start with.

OP: FYI, there's a good chance that your corporate rates for UA wouldn't apply. Since UA no longer offers first class, they no longer publish first class fares, so there may not be anything in the system to discount.
Appreciate the responses. The primary reason I suppose I'm confused is occasionally I can find SFO -> LAX -> ZRH or SFO -> ORD -> ZRH in F on LX but it's not consistent, I've also found a ZRH -> FRA -> SFO routing on LH so it does pop up from time to time. An earlier post in this thread mentioned that UA suppresses partner first when there's a codeshare which helps explain the behavior experienced.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zzzliner
Appreciate the responses. The primary reason I suppose I'm confused is occasionally I can find SFO -> LAX -> ZRH or SFO -> ORD -> ZRH in F on LX but it's not consistent, I've also found a ZRH -> FRA -> SFO routing on LH so it does pop up from time to time. An earlier post in this thread mentioned that UA suppresses partner first when there's a codeshare which helps explain the behavior experienced.
I suspect that if UA's entirely out of inventory on the codeshare, the native flight number might appear. If you're often doing last-minute searches, that might explain why you occasionally see something pop up. In general, though, UA wants to sell the UA codes,
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
is it possible to book international First Class Saver awards on partners with UA miles?
I used to fly OZ ICN-usa and TG BKK-xxx but I'm no longer finding such awards.
Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
is it possible to book international First Class Saver awards on partners with UA miles?
Thank you in advance!
OZ no longer has F
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
OZ no longer has F
bummer. I was seeing the OZ A380 first class on Seatguru...they must not have updated the site.

Any first class awards on partners ex BKK or SIN?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2020 at 1:36 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:45 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Thank you in advance!
Yes. My wife and I just took saver F on an NH A380 NRT-HNL using UA miles. Sweet Suite!

I recently cancelled another NH saver F flight I had reserved using UA miles, HNL-TYO.

Last edited by 747FC; Feb 22, 2020 at 1:59 am
Old Feb 22, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
bummer. I was seeing the OZ A380 first class on Seatguru...they must not have updated the site.

Any first class awards on partners ex BKK or SIN?
Yes. If you look at last minute awards (starting around T-5) there has been some TG F BKK-LHR/FRA/NRT/HND and even some LH F BKK-FRA. More elusive (but still can be found) is the onward LH F FRA-USA.

Edited to add: I just took my own advice and changed my Bangkok departing flights (at T-2) to TG F BKK-FRA and LH F FRA-EWR. Done thru the website, confirmation emails from UA and TG, and was able to select both the TG and LH seats using the TG website.

A somewhat risky move if trying to switch to *A airlines with phantom UA award availability (putting my original booking at risk) but knowing TG and LH rewards are historically reliable I went for it. So now it’s champagne and caviar all the way!

SL
artvandalay likes this.

Last edited by SunLover; Feb 22, 2020 at 4:08 am Reason: Additional info
Old Sep 7, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Does anyone have recent experience with booking LH F on TATL on UA stock?
I'm considering booking a return on UA C (FRA-EWR) and then call to have one of the flights changed to LH F.
What I ideally would like to ultimately have on the ticket is the outbound on UA in PZ (Y upgraded with miles to C) and the return on LH in A.
​​​​​​
Old Sep 7, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
I'm considering booking a return on UA C (FRA-EWR) and then call to have one of the flights changed to LH F.
What I ideally would like to ultimately have on the ticket is the outbound on UA in PZ (Y upgraded with miles to C) and the return on LH in A.
​​​​​​
you need to make sure the fares are combinable - C and F no problem. Y and F could get tricky. Best guess is to check this through ITA matrix specifying fare classes and see how that prices out. You can then either use one of the ITA hack booking options or call UA and they should be able to book that for you.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 5:50 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
​​​​​​
First you need an agent who knows what he or she is doing, otherwise you will end up in premium economy. Then fare will have to be manually calculated by the fare desk (unless you happen to get on the phone with one a small handful really good of ex-PassPlus/GS phone agents who are probably all retired by now). But it can be done. A travel agent cannot issue LH flights in revenue First on UA stock, you must call UA to do that and go trough the rigmarole. In the alternative, a travel agent can do it on LH stock and combine UA flights in any cabin. Unless you need the UA elite status, I would use a travel agent and issue on LH stock.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The computer should be able to price without issue - you just need to get an agent who is willing to type in LH flight numbers in A/F and submit for auto-pricing. My interactions with the rate desk have been 100% poor and inaccurate, but ymmv.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:55 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
The computer should be able to price without issue - you just need to get an agent who is willing to type in LH flight numbers in A/F and submit for auto-pricing. My interactions with the rate desk have been 100% poor and inaccurate, but ymmv.
Good to know; has never auto-priced over the phone for me. Maybe you need at least 1 UA segment?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I usually try for a UA segment because a lot of agents will refuse to do it without one, butI'm pretty sure that's a restriction at the human level, not computer level. The bulk of my experience is booking LH native PE, but it should be the same issue. The agent needs to be typing it into a raw console and should be typing in the order: date, orig, dest, flight number, booking code (for each segment). If it doesn't feel like that's what they're doing, they're probably doing it wrong and mentally prepare to HUCA.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:31 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I usually try for a UA segment because a lot of agents will refuse to do it without one, butI'm pretty sure that's a restriction at the human level, not computer level.
I have gotten agents who have agreed to do it all on LH, but it wouldn't auto-price. The fare desk agreed to price it-- all LH A (and intra-Europe LH C). There are some great LH A fares, so good to know it will auto-price over the phone with a UA segment.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ari
I have gotten agents who have agreed to do it all on LH, but it wouldn't auto-price. The fare desk agreed to price it-- all LH A (and intra-Europe LH C). There are some great LH A fares, so good to know it will auto-price over the phone with a UA segment.
it has always autopriced for me. Never an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.