Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA SFO-AMS Half flight empty but no Business Saver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA SFO-AMS Half flight empty but no Business Saver

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by cfischer
last week SFO-ICN. Both flights equally empty 24 hours before departure. 1/2 the seats taken and one was PN0PZ0IN0I0 the other one was PN9PZ9IN9I9 ... it seems to be quite random. The one with zeros left with many seats open in business after 10+ NRSA cleared.
Maybe they have to leave some percentage of seats for non-revs and allocate them ahead of time?
Old May 4, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Maybe they have to leave some percentage of seats for non-revs and allocate them ahead of time?
Going to jump in and note that our forecast does not take non-rev space available into account in any way.

0%
Old May 4, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Steve M
That was definitely the case when IAH-SYD started last year. The J cabin was wide open most days, and J Saver was easy to come by, like 4-5 days a week. Even so, there still plenty of empty seats, that would mostly get filled with non-revs - sometimes a couple dozen on a single flight. I watched this route frequently over several months last year. What's happening now with Saver award space, on new routes and old, is very different than what was in place even a few months ago. Things have changed.
Agree, and I think it's on both ends of the TATL JV. Close-in LH/LX space isn't opening up anywhere near as reliably as it was even as recently as 6-8 months ago.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky
Does a person at united look at each flight manually or something? One would thing this is all just an aglo that's contantly adjusted for revenue.
There's an algorithm in place but there is a team of analysts in Revenue Management who are tasked with tweaking the results that come back. Whoever is assigned to SFO-AMS should be giving it a little extra attention given that it's new.

But, yes, they can (and do) change inventory on a flight-by-flight basis at times.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
how does giving seats to non rev or non miles passangers do that. thy flight leaves in 3 hours- it's all going to non rev upgrades or empty. how are you saying that maximizes revenue exactly?
by your logic they should be selling seats for $35.

It protects the value of the product. Delta is infamous for this . Look at their financials against most every other domestic.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
ludicrous
Old May 4, 2019, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbashow
by your logic they should be selling seats for $35.

It protects the value of the product. Delta is infamous for this . Look at their financials against most every other domestic.
the logic is all of united profits comes from the mileage plus program- it goes bankrupt without it and our GPUs are instantly worthless. What was your logic?
Old May 4, 2019, 6:31 pm

the logic is all of united profits comes from the mileage plus program- it goes bankrupt without it and our GPUs are instantly worthless. What was your logic?
Neither United nor mileage plus are at the risk of going bankrupt. We are at a point in the economy where people should probably expect to pay for the service they desire. Load factors and profit margins indicate as such. Anything else is just a bonus. There will come A-day when the economy swings the other way. For now, if you want business you should probably pay for it.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Neither United nor mileage plus are at the risk of going bankrupt. We are at a point in the economy where people should probably expect to pay for the service they desire. Load factors and profit margins indicate as such. Anything else is just a bonus. There will come A-day when the economy swings the other way. For now, if you want business you should probably pay for it.
United doesn't make money operating or by giving us all free GPUs. Mileage is what makes them money esp in a good economy. And I got my award ticket when they opened up the space on multiple days this am. So bad advice.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:47 pm

United doesn't make money operating or by giving us all free GPUs. Mileage is what makes them money esp in a good economy. And I got my award ticket when they opened up the space on multiple days this am. So bad advice.
you got a bonus. Expect it to get worse. I'm diamond on Delta and only gold on UA. Wait a year with dynamic pricing. We can compare notes then.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by N104UA
Agreed it looks like I space opened on Monday and Wednesday of the upcoming week on SFO-AMS which are all J9
AMS-SFO also opened up on some weekdays, returns on the weekends haven't though it seems (but I think also is a heavier J load).
Revenue Management is somewhat of a Dark Art ...
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:33 am

No saver awards on this flight in 2020! You'd think they'd gathered enough data last year to know loads are weak!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by abcx
No saver awards on this flight in 2020! You'd think they'd gathered enough data last year to know loads are weak!
that flight is going to be a 788, so only 28 business class seats.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
that flight is going to be a 788, so only 28 business class seats.
36, correct?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Saver business on UA metal TATL from SFO has been basically nonexistent for several years now.
Originally Posted by GBadger
36, correct?
28 when Polarised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.