Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade advice EWR-SFO-PPT

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Upgrade advice EWR-SFO-PPT

So we are 8 days out till our flights to Tahiti and looking for advice for possible upgrade. I'm premier gold and wife is silver. Booked the flight K class but have the economy plus subscription. Award upgrade is $600 + 30k per person but wait list. Pay is $2200 per segment per person (not worth it to me) My question is, should I put in for the waist list? or wait and see if Award travel goes off wait list and see if I can just scope it up? Is wait list a disadvantage? I only had luck a few times with wait list. Thank you Knowledgeable one!
Old May 1, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vonlucas86
So we are 8 days out till our flights to Tahiti and looking for advice for possible upgrade. I'm premier gold and wife is silver. Booked the flight K class but have the economy plus subscription. Award upgrade is $600 + 30k per person but wait list. Pay is $2200 per segment per person (not worth it to me) My question is, should I put in for the waist list? or wait and see if Award travel goes off wait list and see if I can just scope it up? Is wait list a disadvantage? I only had luck a few times with wait list. Thank you Knowledgeable one!
You may actually have a pretty decent chance to clear the SFO-PPT upgrade. (I doubt you'll clear EWR-SFO). It's only booked 22/36, and since it's not a huge business travel destination, I don't think they're particularly likely to sell 14 additional business class seats in the next 8 days.

Being on the waitlist isn't a disadvantage when it comes to being able to do a $600+30K upgrade, if you're so inclined. The only possible downside is that some people have reported that they don't get buy-up offers at check-in if they have a waitlisted upgrade instrument applied, and those might be a better deal. (UA may drop the price from $2200 during the check-in process).
Old May 1, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

thanks for the reply jsloan, so you think go on wait list?
Old May 1, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for the reply jsloan, so you think go on wait list?
If you're comfortable with the total price, I would.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Sounds good. just put it thru. Thanks for the advice
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Sounds good. just put it thru. Thanks for the advice
So, did you get the upgrade?

Wife and I are thinking about this location for our 20th anniversary in 2021...are the seats layflat?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Currently UA is showing 787's and an occasional 777-ER. Both have layflat seating.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Currently UA is showing 787's and an occasional 777-ER. Both have layflat seating.
Unless they're going to stop at several islands enroute, every plane in UA's fleet that has the range for SFO-PPT has lie-flat seating.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:03 pm

FYI - Our upgrade waitlist didn't clear in late February (considered off season). The miles came back automatically, but I had to chase down the $600 refunds.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by bamboola
FYI - Our upgrade waitlist didn't clear in late February (considered off season). The miles came back automatically, but I had to chase down the $600 refunds.
Man, that sucks!

I'm going to book using miles into business class...don't want to chance not getting those seats!
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
77W to PPT? When?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by findark
77W to PPT? When?
Its a 1stop thru AKL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.