Wiki Posts
Search

Early arrival - gate is occupied

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
OMG! Next time you should definitely use Northeast Regional. It would be faster.
Was this one of the mainline services or you're waiting for a UX gate at Terminal A?
On a 73G and waiting for our gate at C3 to open up. Very annoying because C125 and C123 (whichever gate is next to it) are both empty.

Train wasn’t a serious option as we were flying back from Hawaii - only connected through IAD to save $500/person on the flight back.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Sitting on the tarmac at EWR after IAD-EWR flight landed more than 35 minutes ahead of scheduled arrival...because the gate is occupied. Blocking out 90 minutes for a 40-minute flight is asinine...!
If it makes you feel any better I looked at my stats on the 5 times I've done that route in that direction since November of 2018 (all mainline; doesn't look like I flew IAD-EWR before 2019-11) and the average actual block time across those flights was 86 minutes [outlying flights was earliest arrival was -30 from schedule [on 2019-02-27], latest was +47 [on 2019-03-11], with the average being +6.8 from schedule -- so you got "lucky" with the early arrival based on my non-scientific experience.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Recent arrival at EWR, got the trifecta - 1) gate was occupied, 2) after previous flight left, found out we were at a "tow-in" gate and had to wait for the tug (wouldn't it have been the same one that just pushed out the previous plane??), and 3) jetway operator wasn't in position when we pulled in to the gate (again, wouldn't it have been the same GA who just saw the previous flight off?).
Old May 29, 2019, 11:56 pm

Constant wait for gates at LAX. I'd say at least 50% of the time. Usually on the tarmac early, then captain makes dreaded announcement "ladies and gentlemen we are a bit early so there is no gate for us." Nonetheless usually end up at the gate at scheduled ARR time, the time gained in the sky is simply just lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.