Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2019 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold), for 2020 it will be 40 Plus Points (good for 2 North American or 1 previous GPU-equivalent W-fare upgrade)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on the same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability (unclear how the change to dynamic awards post Nov 2019 will impact this)
  • Five drink chits
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

Plat is the highest level still eligible for Chase MP-branded credit card spend waiver of PQD requirements and also the highest elite elite achievable using FlexPQMs .

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2019 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
This thread, and its predecessors from 2017-2018 are awesome. I was just about to pull the trigger on a soul-crushing SIN run in Y to hit plat, but now I’m comfortable sticking with gold. Many thanks to all contributors!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by as219
This thread, and its predecessors from 2017-2018 are awesome. I was just about to pull the trigger on a soul-crushing SIN run in Y to hit plat, but now I’m comfortable sticking with gold. Many thanks to all contributors!
Which aspect of Platinum was of interest to you and what "lack of benefit" versus let's say a 1K was the deciding factor?
Just trying to parse out a LGA/EWR based flyer's needs.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Which aspect of Platinum was of interest to you and what "lack of benefit" versus let's say a 1K was the deciding factor?
There were two key benefits I was looking to get from Plat, RPUs and BG1. I now realize my information was out of date and that Gold get BG1 now. The RPU issue is this: We would definitely use them for p.s. transcons, but given how difficult these things are to use, and given that we are able to book far in advance, locking in $1,100 P fares, I’d rather have the flexibility to book when I want than chase after upgrade space. Much of my travel is ex-LGA — I live very close to it — so I suppose higher CPU priority would be useful — but frankly I’ve found that I can often buy F outright for reasonable amounts over Y, again, without having to worry about upgrades clearing. In any case, the extent to which higher Plat priority would benefit me is kind of amorphous relative to the costs of a MR to SIN in Y.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what "lack of benefit" versus let's say a 1K was the deciding factor?
If you can make use of GPUs, they're the primary 1K benefit over Platinum, without question. (There's a "worth it" thread for 1K vs. Platinum too.

However, given that there's no credit-card based spending waiver for 1K, many US residents are looking at a huge increase in spend to get to 1K vs. what Platinum costs.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:59 am

Forgot to add: there’s of course a huge gap between the 2 RPUs you get as a Plat and the 4 RPUs/6GPUs you get as a 1K. I get that Plat was effectively a way to throw people a bone who flew beyond Gold but not enough to hit 1K, but it’s not IMO really a halfway point between Gold and 1K and therefore not worth making the effort to hit.

Gold is pretty darn good from where I sit. Lounge access, BG1, no SDC fees, a “chance” at an upgrade, E+ at booking.... Plat doesn’t give that much more than that.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I was in a situation that led me to consider an interesting benefit of Plat which might be high up there on value: it matches to DL PM instead of DL GM which is a huge step up over at DL
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, I can see where it makes sense to sit at Gold if at 50-55K. But if I were 5K from plat, I'd seriously consider MRs to 1K.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Yep, I can see where it makes sense to sit at Gold if at 50-55K. But if I were 5K from plat, I'd seriously consider MRs to 1K.
I did this last year but can't say I've seen much benefit this year. RPUs don't clear on hub flights and haven't seen any saver award inventory (e.g. under the last chart) for flights after November. And thus reduced award fees (i.e. changes) are not relevant.

Would be a different calculus if CPUs/RPUs clearance rate was higher from SFO.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
United should really eliminate Platinum status, and simply go from Gold to 1K.
Naturally this would mean that lifetime 1K is achieved at 2 million miles (said by someone at ~1.6 million right now...).
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, SFO is a beast. EWR is a bit better there, except on EWR-SFO.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by as219

There were two key benefits I was looking to get from Plat, RPUs and BG1. I now realize my information was out of date and that Gold get BG1 now. The RPU issue is this: We would definitely use them for p.s. transcons, but given how difficult these things are to use, and given that we are able to book far in advance, locking in $1,100 P fares, I’d rather have the flexibility to book when I want than chase after upgrade space.
You are being far too rational for this forum.
You forgot that you get an actual Card with platinum along with drink chits and 8 friends on your PNR can come up to E+ with you.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
If I were based in YYC, I would consider it too. But the additional $3,000 required this year for us in the US will make it a hurdle that I will not be able to overcome.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I guess I’m the only one in the camp that prefers platinum over gold. I’m an LAX based flyer and my son whom goes to university and Boston is my companion. We both get several upgrades a year ( cpu’s) use all my RPU’s then some from friends on the trans cons between LAX and EWR and I flown in the new Polaris cabin on the 787-10 four times this year so far. My son has received several CPUs out of Boston to LAX and even though the recent poster is from LGA I was able to take the first flight of the morning to ORD and get a CPU at the gate. I guess it’s just personal but I think there’s intrinsic benefits that most are overlooking is that platinum is a level golds and platinums beat gold in CPU. I know there’s naysayers here but for me it is well well worth it
8MiHi likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I guess I’m the only one in the camp that prefers platinum over gold.
That's not what anyone is saying at all. All things being equal, of course, you'd prefer Platinum to Gold.

I’m an LAX based flyer and my son whom goes to university and Boston is my companion. We both get several upgrades a year ( cpu’s) use all my RPU’s then some from friends on the trans cons between LAX and EWR and I flown in the new Polaris cabin on the 787-10 four times this year so far.
Yours is not the common experience. It is extremely difficult to clear RPUs on LAX/EWR, even for a 1K.

My son has received several CPUs out of Boston to LAX and even though the recent poster is from LGA I was able to take the first flight of the morning to ORD and get a CPU at the gate. I guess it’s just personal but I think there’s intrinsic benefits that most are overlooking is that platinum is a level golds and platinums beat gold in CPU. I know there’s naysayers here but for me it is well well worth it
My upgrade percentage as a 1K this year is hovering around 80%. As a Platinum, it was around 50-60%, and as Gold, it was 30-40%.

Significant, sure, but not worth a huge outlay, in my opinion.

The question for this thread is whether or not it makes sense to stretch for Platinum. In your specific case, it seems that it might be justified. For most passengers, I don't think it is, because most are going to have upgrade experiences closer to what I posted -- or lower yet, if they're SFO-based and traveling on a commuter schedule.
Boraxo and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I think everyone can agree that Platinum is mediocre now that everyone under the sun gets BG1. (half the plane was BG1 on an ORD to SFO route the other day, no joke!)

A better question is How can we make Platinum better but still keep 1K feeling special?
1. Allow free drinks in flight for Plat. 1K can have drinks and food
2. Bring back BG1 for Plat. Gold for BG2. Put creditcard holders in BG3. 1K can still have their own special BG
3. 4 RPUs instead of 2. I feel that most that make Plat but fail to make 1K are doing mostly domestic flying
4. Now this idea is a longshot but I feel that within Star Alliance there should be something beyond Gold. At least offer a priority boarding level across the alliance for Plat/1K
Del Mar 1K and Flying Machine like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.