Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How did bussiness class get filled? Cleared, not wanted seat. Some got free upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How did bussiness class get filled? Cleared, not wanted seat. Some got free upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If the seats you wanted were all allocated, not exactly sure what you were expecting. If there are open seats, I’ve never encountered a problem asking at the gate or lounge to get assigned the open seat I want.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I travel to Asia frequently and found yelling 不要!when I see someone doing something stupid, like what the OP described, or taking food with their hands in a lounge, or yelling in the middle of redeye, usually does the trick and stops the problematic behavior. It's a very handy, essential phrase to learn.
Seriously? Do all Asians understand Chinese? Won't yelling 'No!' work as well?
Kannai likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jaa6921
And I do not think it’s polite to shout across rows of seats to a colleague. I wouldn’t do it.

This is was my 84th flight to Asia on UA.

No, it's not polite, but also par for the course on flights to Asia - surely you would have observed it on your 84th such flight. And it's not just on UA, I have seen it happen first hand on other US airlines to Asia, European airlines to Asia, Asian airlines to Asia, same thing. Does it happen on every single flight? No.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Anyways, too much discussion about overbooking. This flight was not overbooked in Economy (unless many passengers missed their flight). It left with 25 empty seats in Economy + and 36 empty seats in Economy. However, it was the perfect flight for upgrades for revenue and non-revs passengers alike. Upgrades to Polaris Business: 17. This makes sense since it was sold 42/60.

I wish that all the flights that I try to upgrade to have so many empty seats in Polaris Business so my upgrade would clear. And if I'm upgraded at the last minute, I don't really care what seat I get (even on the 2-4-2 configuration).
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
How do do I get the free upgrades?
i did get the upgrade
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Anyways, too much discussion about overbooking. This flight was not overbooked in Economy (unless many passengers missed their flight). It left with 25 empty seats in Economy + and 36 empty seats in Economy. However, it was the perfect flight for upgrades for revenue and non-revs passengers alike. Upgrades to Polaris Business: 17. This makes sense since it was sold 42/60.

I wish that all the flights that I try to upgrade to have so many empty seats in Polaris Business so my upgrade would clear. And if I'm upgraded at the last minute, I don't really care what seat I get (even on the 2-4-2 configuration).
Thank you for clearing it up.

I am still unsure what the beef is?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 20, 2019 at 12:31 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I often buy Z fares and seek upgrades to travel in a calm and peaceful cabin.
Z-fares are actually booking into business class cabins - not necessary / possible to upgrade a ticket in this booking class.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by catalyst2211
In the context of where the OP experienced this and where I've had to do it, yes they understand exactly what I am yelling at them.

In the OP's case, if they were unwilling to escalate the noise issue to the purser, they can't really complain about it - and it would be interesting to know if these were revenue op-ups making the commotion or nonrevs - if the latter, they should have been told to be quiet or face disciplinary action. Furthermore, if these passengers were nonrev, the gate agent, or once onboard, the purser, should have moved a nonrev to accommodate the OP's seating preference.

The fact that the GA was disinterested in usually easy to read from a distance, and in these circumstances I just choose another GA or ask the lounge agent to call the gate and have it taken care of that way.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do all Asians understand Chinese?
I mean... well over a billion of them do... I like those odds!
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Furthermore, if these passengers were nonrev, the gate agent, or once onboard, the purser, should have moved a nonrev to accommodate the OP's seating preference.
Unfortunately for the OP, nobody was upgraded at the gate to an odd seat in the front cabin. So, what was the agent supposed to do? Remove the seat from a passenger that had booked Polaris Business or remove the seat from a passenger who was upgraded months or weeks or days in advance?

The OP was upgraded late in the process. Seems it happened when there was no odd seats left in the front cabin. If the OP really likes the front cabin, there were 5 seats in even rows that were available as some passengers were upgraded at the gate to those seats. We are not talking here of an upgrade to a middle seat in the 2-4-2 configuration. So, not worth of a complaint.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:09 pm

no asian speaks Chinese. Chinese isn’t a language. Many speak mandarin or Cantonese
EmailKid likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: *

I’ve been on flights before where economy pax were bumped to Polaris at no cost when I have paid miles and cash for the same.

Can someone please direct me to those flights? In a decade as 1K I have had only one op-up to business....
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Unfortunately for the OP, nobody was upgraded at the gate to an odd seat in the front cabin. So, what was the agent supposed to do? Remove the seat from a passenger that had booked Polaris Business or remove the seat from a passenger who was upgraded months or weeks or days in advance?

The OP was upgraded late in the process. Seems it happened when there was no odd seats left in the front cabin. If the OP really likes the front cabin, there were 5 seats in even rows that were available as some passengers were upgraded at the gate to those seats. We are not talking here of an upgrade to a middle seat in the 2-4-2 configuration. So, not worth of a complaint.
That's the part I was missing - I thought there were odd seats open that were given to upgraders, but I guess that's not the case. If they were already taken by other revenue customers, there is really nothing to complain about aside from the disinterested gate agent and the onboard noise and theft of snacks.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:08 pm

If you were already upgraded, why didn't you just select an even numbered seat? Otherwise, what is there to complain about? If you wait list for an upgrade, then not winning an upgrade is a calculated risk. If the downside of that risk is too much, then next time confirm the upgrade at booking or pay whatever it takes to get a confirmed business class seat.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by jp12687

no asian speaks Chinese. Chinese isn’t a language. Many speak mandarin or Cantonese
Yes, obviously you can't speak Chinese. I said ''understand Chinese'. 不要 is written in Chinese (simplified). He could be yelling:
Bu yao (Mandarin)
Mm Oi (Hakka)
Mai (Fuchow)
Bo Ai (Fujian)
Etc

Anyways, the point is, even on a flight to TPE it is strange to assume that all asians on the flight would understand Chinese. Just like I wouldn't assume all white people on a plane to FRA to understand German. A ''No!' would be more universally understood.
Kannai likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by ani90
Can someone please direct me to those flights? In a decade as 1K I have had only one op-up to business....
I had one last year (LHR-IAD)! Only one in 1.2 million BIS flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.