Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA78 NRT-EWR (16 April 2019) -- Skipped 2nd Meal Service due to turbulence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member

On UA78 from NRT-EWR today (4/16) and the crew just announced that they were not going to serve the 2nd meal (breakfast) due to turbulence in any cabin. While the last few hours of the flight has continuous light chop I have had meals served (on UA and other airlines) with much worse and the cabin crew has been up working during the entire time the meal would have been served. Has anyone else experienced this, the crew announced it fairly nonchalantly as if they were skipping drink service ORD-MSP? While it would be great for UA to had out meal vouchers upon arrival at EWR I doubt that will happen. It seems that leaving 300 some passengers to fend for themselves for food upon landing after a 12 hr flight is a pretty big service failure.
boss315 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd ask for a meal voucher upon arrival or ask for compensation/miles/customer service gesture from UA later.....or as a 1K you could send UA the receipt for a meal upon arrival, just as you would do with a hotel receipt. IMO you're entitled to something. That's a long flight to have no food beyond a couple hours after takeoff.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Meal vouchers on arrival is wishful thinking. UA's position would likely be that safety comes first and that an empty belly is better than a fork in your eyeball from severe turbulence.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Was there any announcement from the pilots about severe or significant turbulence to make the passengers aware? Was the fasten seat belt on during this time? Were passengers up and around?

You don't say if you were in coach or business - was business served their breakfast?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Was there any announcement from the pilots about severe or significant turbulence to make the passengers aware? Was the fasten seat belt on during this time? Were passengers up and around?

You don't say if you were in coach or business - was business served their breakfast?
Announcements from both flight deck and cabin crew that basically said there is turbulence and we're not doing meal service. We have not experienced any moderate or severe turbulence, only none and light.

The seat belt sign came off 5-10 minutes after announcement and has been off for nearly an hour and passengers and crew have been up and around. We should be starting approach in about 20 minutes.

I'm in business and there is no food service in either cabin.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kenn0223
On UA78 from NRT-EWR today (4/16) and the crew just announced that they were not going to serve the 2nd meal (breakfast) due to turbulence in any cabin. While the last few hours of the flight has continuous light chop I have had meals served (on UA and other airlines) with much worse and the cabin crew has been up working during the entire time the meal would have been served. Has anyone else experienced this, the crew announced it fairly nonchalantly as if they were skipping drink service ORD-MSP?
Cabin crew safety is a big thing these days, moreso than it was in the past. They're going to inconvenience pax whenever necessary to reduce risk to cabin crew, even if the forecast doesn't materialize.

Originally Posted by kenn0223
While it would be great for UA to had out meal vouchers upon arrival at EWR I doubt that will happen. It seems that leaving 300 some passengers to fend for themselves for food upon landing after a 12 hr flight is a pretty big service failure.
Maybe at a better hub, but I literally cannot imagine this happen at EWR.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:25 pm

Safety first. Probably PIREPS. If you have a connection, head to the Polaris lounge for some food...otherwise reach out to CS and get some miles or a voucher.

ETA: https://www.aviationweather.gov/airep
Reports of Moderate to Severe turbulence all around EWR. Not surprised.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Why is everyone surprised? OP chose UA instead of NH or JL. Next time, make a better choice.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Was on UA838 (NRT-SFO) today; both the FA's and pilots came on to advise of moderate to severe turbulence and were pretty strict about having everyone stay seated. Meals were served, although interrupted several times as a precaution.

Nothing materialized other then some light chop, but I suspect there must have been some pretty nasty reports from flights ahead of us. Safety first, imo.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
ETA: https://www.aviationweather.gov/airep
Reports of Moderate to Severe turbulence all around EWR. Not surprised.
So what? Two hours out, they were over Manitoba, not anywhere near EWR.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:33 pm

Good point!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Why is everyone surprised? OP chose UA instead of NH or JL. Next time, make a better choice.
It's really up to the discretion of the pilot. We don't have the luxury of seeing what the radar was showing them prior to landing and for all we know it could've been severe turbulence on the radar. For all we know the pilot got lucky and dodged all the turbulence on their radar! It's always better to be safe rather than sorry and perhaps UA should have provided some service gesture (i.e. $20 ETC) to soften the blow.

As we all should know whether you get turbulence and the severity of it is very much the role of the dice. For instance, a couple of weeks ago I had a long-haul domestic flight (LHR > LAX) and never encountered any turbulence in spite of it crossing a puddle and being in a heavily travelled air track. In fact I don't recall the seatbelt sign coming on. Fast forward a week later and I'm flying YUL > YSJ and had one of the roughest landings due to turbulence.

Having flown NH, I would agree with you that the service is nicer/friendlier but there when booking flights there are many other factors to consider. For instance OP may have preferred to land in EWR rather than JFK. Access to Polaris Lounges (which I don't believe are at JFK yet) whilst travelling to TYO may be another factor. Then of course there is cost for which UA does a pretty good job undercutting the Asian competition on.

-James
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

We came in across the MI UP, northern MI, then Western NY. Now we are just over Scranton with 23 minutes left. No PIREPs according to NWS in any of these areas.

BTW -- I am traveling from GUM and usually fly DL & KE through ICN but needed to hit a specific schedule today and UA's noon departure (latest that still gets to the mainland the same day) from GUM was the only option that worked.
geckoflyer likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: united
If the FA's feel it is not safe to have food carts in the cabin, I will defer to them.

They are primarily there for our safety, after all.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Assuming there wasn’t actually a catering error, where meals weren’t boarded (and no reason to believe that, unless there is evidence that wasn’t shared), I’d tend to side with crew and forecasts/reports. There is no advantage to UA not serving meals that were already boarded. There are lots of times when there are reports or likelihood of turbulence, and it doesn’t materialize. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a threat. Imagine the severe turbulence does happen, and crew and/or pax are injured. Imagine the thread on here.

definitely disappointing, I get it. Yes, I’d definitely request meal voucher, or write in for comp once landing. But again, Persoanlly, Id rather have a safe environment and lack of second meal vs. injuries/potential diversion, etc.

To the poster talking about this is because it isn’t NH, I’d hope NH, etc. also take safety seriously. If the threat was real, and understanding that different carriers have somewhat different thresholds/risk tolerance, I’d hope they’d react in a similar manner in the same situation.
wrp96 and ajGoes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.