Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refunding Basic Economy Ticket on Sched Change, booked via OTA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Hello,

A couple months ago I booked a flight in Basic Economy with UA : SFO > SAN in June via Expedia due to issues I had at the time booking direct with UA. A couple weeks ago I receive notification that UA changed the flight so it departed at 8 AM instead of the 6 AM I originally booked meaning I'll get into SAN nearly at 10 AM. At the time I didn't think much of it since I didn't the full details of the conference weren't yet available. However, now that I'll be attending a workshop on the first day of the conference I'll need to get into SAN early to ensure I get to the workshop on time. I notice Seattle Airways is now running a 6:15 AM service to SAN out of SFO. Would it be possible to get a refund from UA given such a large change? Could UA rebook me on Seattle metal?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
First, IIRC: Its all on Expedia to handle the change for you.

Second, who is Seattle Airways?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Sorry I meant Alaskan, my mind must've gone to lunch there

-James
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Lol...I think Alaska Airlines.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Sorry I meant Alaskan, my mind must've gone to lunch there

-James
​​​​​​​No such thing as Alaskan either.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Expedia is responsible, although UA could choose to take it over. If it's a two-hour schedule change, and there's no suitable UA alternative, UA will refund. If it's one hour and 59 minutes, they may not.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, Expedia is responsible, although UA could choose to take it over. If it's a two-hour schedule change, and there's no suitable UA alternative, UA will refund. If it's one hour and 59 minutes, they may not.
that is no longer correct. As I pointed out in another thread a day or two ago, latest iteration of the CoC , rule 24 specifies 30 minutes, not 2 hours (though it was 2 hours in the not so distant past).

As noted by other posters, since Expedia is your agent, they are supposed to handle any changes, so contact them. They’ll likely change you to another UA flight. You can ask about another carrier, like Alaska, but if they may say no, and suggest instead to refund your current ticket, and start a new booking on AS.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
that is no longer correct. As I pointed out in another thread a day or two ago, latest iteration of the CoC , rule 24 specifies 30 minutes, not 2 hours (though it was 2 hours in the not so distant past).
Sorry, but that's not what it says. Rule 24 says that UA will, at its election, change you to a flight within 7 days of your original reservation, re-route you on another carrier (if UA ends all service between a pair of cities), or waive the change fee, and that if none of those options are taken, the passenger gets a refund.

The key phrase is "at its election." Per the CoC, UA can actually move your flights by a week and not offer you a refund, although one assumes that the intent of the seven-day period is to offer options to the customer. However, their schedule change policy provides relief:
When a schedule change happens, we try our best to provide you with options that minimize the disruption to your travel plans. In cases where the new flight options don't work for you and one of the following scenarios applies, we may be able to offer you a refund:
  • The scheduled departure or arrival time changes by two hours or more.
  • The change causes issues with the overall length of the trip, such as making the connection time too short or significantly longer than it originally was.
UA can certainly offer a full refund on a 31 minute change, but they are by no means obligated to do so.
TerryK likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA -- Schedule changes
Most schedule changes are minor, but if the changes don’t work for you, other flight options may be available.If you want to explore other options, it’s important to know who to contact for assistance with a schedule change, and that depends on how you booked your flights:
  • Booked through a travel agency or travel website
If you booked your flights through a travel agency or a travel website such as Expedia or Kayak, you should receive notification of the change from them, and you should contact them for assistance with your reservation.
TerryK likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Quick update on this. Called Expedia and after talking with them for over an hour they managed to contact the powers that be at UA to give me a refund on the flight. Fast forward a week later and I receive an email from UA saying my flight cannot be refunded as it's a Basic Economy ticket. This time I call UA up and explain the situation to them: UA dropped the 6 AM morning flight I had into SAN which would make my trip be in vain since I would be missing the workshop that starts at 9 AM. UA has no suitable flights out of SFO, SJC, OAK at the time now to get me to my workshop. Hence, I'm requesting a refund on the Basic Economy ticket. and after confirming the billing details, agreed to refund the money directly to my card.

I take no pleasure in flying AS to SAN the lack of Gold benefits is a huge bummer for me along with the lack of PQM accrual. However, it's the only option that'll work given the circumstances. C'est la vie!

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.