Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is there no Premium Transcon Service for IAD to SFO (or LAX)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is there no Premium Transcon Service for IAD to SFO (or LAX)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Alas, only two tracks, not four tracks, on the Silver Line, so no express trains on the DC-Dulles route! Blame WMATA (not MWAA) for that.
Could they have fit four tracks? Some of the route is ground level in the median of a highway.

Originally Posted by drewguy
I think the view is more cynical - they don't have enough competition to force a "premium" transcon service. I'm pretty sure the lengthy upgrade lists that don't move aren't a result of government workers buying up to F.
Definitely. United didn't make SFO-BOS a premium transcon route until they saw how well JetBlue was doing with their Mint product.

Originally Posted by bdw1120
This. Look at all transcontinental premium routes - they are highly competitive with all three major airlines (plus in most cases JetBlue and Alaska) flying at very high frequency. Similarly, even though BOS-LAX is not officially premium, United felt the pressure and added more 757-200s. There is much less competition in IAD+DCA to SFO/LAX.
I have a feeling that United had plans to make BOS-LAX a premium transcon route due to JetBlue's success with it, but Delta did the premium transcon product on this route first and eventually eliminated it due to poor performance (they weren't filling the front cabin, and definitely not with fares of significance (they were selling many seats for $399 one way), so they opened it to complimentary upgrades, and ended up ruining their domestic premium transcon product with extensive soft product cuts before they got rid of the service on this route)
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:36 pm

I thought the answer to this question is obvious: cause government officials can only fly economy, but they will insist on upgrades and so the business class would basically have to be given away for free (and there would be angry paid customers who didn't get their seats)
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I thought the answer to this question is obvious: cause government officials can only fly economy, but they will insist on upgrades and so the business class would basically have to be given away for free (and there would be angry paid customers who didn't get their seats)
I'm not sure the 'insist on upgrades' part is working, let alone the 'for free' part.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:51 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by diburning
Could they have fit four tracks? Some of the route is ground level in the median of a highway.

Definitely. United didn't make SFO-BOS a premium transcon route until they saw how well JetBlue was doing with their Mint product.

I have a feeling that United had plans to make BOS-LAX a premium transcon route due to JetBlue's success with it, but Delta did the premium transcon product on this route first and eventually eliminated it due to poor performance (they weren't filling the front cabin, and definitely not with fares of significance (they were selling many seats for $399 one way), so they opened it to complimentary upgrades, and ended up ruining their domestic premium transcon product with extensive soft product cuts before they got rid of the service on this route)
Technically, they could have done express service with just 2 tracks if they put in more sidings at the stations. That's how a lot of Japan manages rapid, limited, and express lines with just 2 tracks. The local service pulls into one siding while the express rockets by...
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: United Platinum
Having just flown IAD - SFO in F on a Polaris/Premium Economy updated 777-200, I would MUCH rather fly on that plane in F rather than a PS-equipped 757. Sure, there's no lounge access included and maybe the food isn't quite as good, but the seat is so much better.

I'm flying the same route again next week and have my fingers crossed that the 777 stays a Polaris updated frame.

So while SFO-IAD isn't a Premium Transcon route officially, there are some flights on that route that offer a better hard product than the official premium routes.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Recent posts debating elected officials / government works travel patterns got very off-topic and has been removed.

Let's return the discussion of if UA should convert SFO<>IAD or LAX<>IAD to a premium transcon service route.WineCountryUAUA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.