Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tips for using points for vacation flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for using points for vacation flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
If you book in advance and with some flexibility you can most certainly redeem your miles on these routes easily.
I think that this point needs to be emphasized. If one is looking to redeem miles for saver awards, booking as far in advance as possible is key. I just missed out by a couple of days (literally) on securing saver award travel LAX-LHR last month for June travel ... and I was booking that travel pretty late in the game. With this dynamic award pricing, I suspect that this is going to be an even more important part of the strategy in the future.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JohnCecil
That is awful; thank you for sharing/forwarding. With the variable points by schedule, it seems to me that maybe they've incorporated much of this variable pricing already; just cutting the strings - there is a huge variation already between the points for the same destination based on whether you'll accept a painful schedule. Feel like my naivete over airlines has just been broken ... and here I thought going Platinum would actually result in some loyalty from them toward customers.
United has had 2 tiers of awards for a long time, saver and everyday (formerly standard).

Saver is available in limited quantities, so this may be what you're finding with long layovers or non-preferred timings. As a platinum you have better saver availability than general members.

Everday awards have last seat availability, anything available for purchase is available for 2-3x the saver price.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EdofFX
Is there a "San Juan" in Costa Rica? Or did you mean either San Juan or Costa Rica?
I think the confusion came because the San Jose airport (SJO) in Costa Rica is called Juan something (the something being Santamaria).

I recall that when BA opened the routes to SJO and SJC at about the same time some passengers booked their flights to the wrong destination.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I think the confusion came because the San Jose airport (SJO) in Costa Rica is called Juan something (the something being Santamaria).

I recall that when BA opened the routes to SJO and SJC at about the same time some passengers booked their flights to the wrong destination.
The first time I went to Costa Rica in 2009 I went to SJO. Long way to the Pacific beaches. This last time (November 2018) went to LIR. Much better location for getting to where I wanted to go to and easy airport for car rentals. Next time it will be LIR again.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Well at least you’re not trying to redeem SkyPesos on DL. You’d have a heart attack.
JohnCecil likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.