Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Booking Engine Insists on Dangerously Tight Connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Booking Engine Insists on Dangerously Tight Connection

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
120% of the minimum UA-UA domestic to international connection time at LAX is 42 minutes. I don't think that's much safer.

The short MCTs are intentional; airlines know that people will often judge a trip based upon the total duration, no matter how unrealistic it is. Neither UA nor any other airline are likely to want to build a feature to call that out.
AA calls out short connections with a red exclamation mark and statment that says, "note connection time". The problem is the same symbol also appears for all overnite flights, so when shopping for a transatlantic flight it's not so usefull, you have to actually click the message to get the details, and one could easily see that every flight has the note an ignore it.

The OP's connection time is not unrealistic at all. Most tickets sold at, or close to the MCTs turn out just fine. I agree that the short connection time should stand out, so people dont unknowingly book trips like this, but many, including me, appreciate the availability of itenrearies that minimize my time spent traveling. Of course there are circumstances (rare) in which the ramifications of a failed connection are to great to accept the risk of a connection like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aliquot
AA calls out short connections with a red exclamation mark and statment that says, "note connection time". The problem is the same symbol also appears for all overnite flights, so when shopping for a transatlantic flight it's not so usefull, you have to actually click the message to get the details, and one could easily see that every flight has the note an ignore it.
I take it back; kudos to AA for this feature, then.

I don't expect UA to follow suit, necessarily; you're talking about an airline that doesn't warn you about changes of airport when you're making a reservation on the mobile app. (To their credit, it's now a really obvious message during a web booking).
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:20 pm

I do find it interesting that UA pulls out all the stops to warn you about selecting an Economy Basic fare but for some reason don't think it's appropriate to have similar warnings for tight connections or change airport type itineraries. IMHO the latter is more dangerous than the former, especially since for the elite flyer there is little difference between Economy Basic and regular Economy aside from reduced PQMs.

-James
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I do find it interesting that UA pulls out all the stops to warn you about selecting an Economy Basic fare but for some reason don't think it's appropriate to have similar warnings for tight connections or change airport type itineraries. IMHO the latter is more dangerous than the former, especially since for the elite flyer there is little difference between Economy Basic and regular Economy aside from reduced PQMs.

-James
I've always seen notations on UA's website informing the flight searcher if an airport change is required for a connection.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso

-James
As per my previous post, UA does display airport change on an applicable itinerary; however, this is becoming less and less of the scenario given scheduling and fare construction.

Of course, this assumes bookings are completed on UA vs. OTAs and other platforms.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I've always seen notations on UA's website informing the flight searcher if an airport change is required for a connection.
On the website, yes; on the app, no.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
As per my previous post, UA does display airport change on an applicable itinerary; however, this is becoming less and less of the scenario given scheduling and fare construction.

Of course, this assumes bookings are completed on UA vs. OTAs and other platforms.
Airport changes are quite common on award searches.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Not that it's particularly relevant to the discussion (I'm the original poster) - award space opened up on one of the non-stops from SFO, within the 24-hour free cancellation on the Norwegian non-stop. So cancelled the Norwegian flight, and grabbed the seat on UA.
jsloan and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:25 pm

On the website, yes; on the app, no.

Airport changes are quite common on award searches.
I just found a connection on the iOS app that involves an airport change and under Details it states (in red letters) "Change airports".
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just found a connection on the iOS app that involves an airport change and under Details it states (in red letters) "Change airports".
Wednesday, June 12, award search from CLE to MCO; scroll down far enough and you'll find the 1:35 PM departure from CLE to DCA paired with the 10:15 PM departure from IAD to MCO. On the main search result page, it says "CLE - IAD - MCO." On the details page, it says "Stop in Washington, DC (IAD)." In the second flight, IAD is in red letters, but there's no indication of why. The word "Airport" isn't displayed on either page.

There was a board thread from someone who wanted UA to pay for inter-airport transportation because it wasn't clear that an airport change was necessary. IIRC, they sent an ETC.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If it is not offered as an option then book the tighter connection and then call to (in first 24 hours) to change to the earlier connection -- if all UA, the agents can do that, first need to find one willing.
Incidentally, with the dynamic pricing announcement from Friday, I do not expect this to be possible any longer for travel after 11/15, with the possible exception of UA domestic connectors to partner awards (and then only if they maintain the Saver vs Standard distinction). It would be similar to trying to call UA and asking them "hey, the flight I really want is $50 more expensive; can I just change to it for free?"
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:57 pm

Wednesday, June 12, award search from CLE to MCO; scroll down far enough and you'll find the 1:35 PM departure from CLE to DCA paired with the 10:15 PM departure from IAD to MCO. On the main search result page, it says "CLE - IAD - MCO." On the details page, it says "Stop in Washington, DC (IAD)." In the second flight, IAD is in red letters, but there's no indication of why. The word "Airport" isn't displayed on either page.

There was a board thread from someone who wanted UA to pay for inter-airport transportation because it wasn't clear that an airport change was necessary. IIRC, they sent an ETC.
You're right, no specific mention of airport change but at least IAD is noted in red letters.

What I saw earlier was CLE to TLV via LGA/JFK and LIS.

April 20
CLE - LGA (UA 4065)
Change airports (in red)
JFK (in red) - LIS (TP 208)
LIS - TLV (TP 1603)

Clearly there's an inconsistent implementation.
jsloan, wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
My biggest issue is that tight connections of 35 minutes are popping up all over recently, more so after fading always the last couple years.. ORD, IAH are about impossible unless the stars align and you happen to be close. Also consider that with 35 min, your next leg is boarding by the time you are wheels down...so if bin space matters, book a longer connection. I always try for 1.5...anything sooner creates too much anxiety. Lol.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I had an award ticket with a dangerously short INTL connection so I called up UA. The agent said (paraphrasing) "Yeah, that seems too short. Let me see if I can get you on the next earlier flight out". She took care of it in a couple minutes and all was well.
Same.
Had a 50 minute connection in SFO for BDL-SFO-PEK last year, and agent changed flights without charge and mentioned (paraphrasing): "That is not enough time to change planes."
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
Same.
Had a 50 minute connection in SFO for BDL-SFO-PEK last year, and agent changed flights without charge and mentioned (paraphrasing): "That is not enough time to change planes."
What was the revised itinerary? SFO to PEK is 1x daily departing mid-morning. From east coast, usually only the very first flight of the day (~6am) would allow for proper connection onto UA888. I have done the BOS-SFO-PEK connection numerous times, and most of the time the process has been, off one plane and onto another. Later flights would require overnight at SFO, which isn't a bad thing at all
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
What was the revised itinerary?
BDL-ORD-PEK

I gladly took that for peace-of-mind, although would have preferred flying BDL-SFO the night before, but alas, that was unfortunately beyond the agent's capability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.