Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA procedures to determine if a sick passenger is fit to travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA procedures to determine if a sick passenger is fit to travel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
A passenger vomiting because of a flu could present major problems for other passengers.
Adults rarely vomit from the flu.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by threeoh
Norovirus, which is often inaccurately described as 'stomach flu' on the other hand...

I've also had a 15 minute departure delay already this year for biohazard clean up (GA said 'a passenger got sick') so there are other factors to think of. Had me hoping that I didn't discover the cover on my seat had been recently replaced.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhunt
Fly a 6 am flight out of vegas... Lot's of people stay up all night and are hungover. It's just not the passengers either sometimes...
The 1am flights aren't much different LOL
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I've had the Norovirus many years ago on a work trip. Not fun at all.... I chose to hide the symptoms to the best of my ability and fly home the next day, and in hindsight I was beyond a jerk and was wrong to do so exposing other people to what I had. If and when this ever happens again, I'll add a few nights to my trip and stay in the hotel.

That said, I had a flight last year, COS-DEN early in the morning. The person in question was simply one that doesn't deal well with small airplanes, but the FA was convinced that she was hungover. Her colleagues kept saying she doesn't drink, but the FA asked the Captain to visit with her as well before we departed. I was close enough to both smell her breath and observe her before we boarded and now next to each other. She exhibited the same behavior as my MIL. The FA overreacted IMO, and thankfully the Captain agreed that she was fine. Yes, she did get sick during the short flight, but it wasn't some drunken state or illness, she has a fear of flying that gets the best of her at times.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by threeoh
I actually looked this up because I found your post interesting, every single link I looked at showed nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea as a symptom of Viral Gastroenteritis aka “stomach flu” whereas influenza doesn’t usually include vomiting. So what was the point of your post? we’re you playing semantics here?

What went from a legitimate question turned into a debate like everything usually does on this board.

For or those of you that answered my question, thank you
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: AC P25
2m
And if this person had the flu? Aviary flu? You would be fine with it I’m sure.
So a lady vomits. Clearly she is dangerous and infectious and must be quarantined immediately... I mean, she VOMITED! That, like, never happens!

Look, it’s scary to think you’re in an enclosed space with potentially infectious people. I get it. But freaking out and banning everyone with VERY COMMON MEDICAL SYMPTOMS is unrealistic, extremely over reactive, and just plain illogical.

Diarrhea can be cholera. Usually it’s not. We don’t ban all people with diarrhea from getting on planes.

Coughing can be tuberculosis. Usually it’s not. We don’t ban all people with a cough from getting on planes.

A skin rash can be any number of infectious diseases. Usually it’s not. We don’t ban all people with pimples or red spots from airplanes.

Glad the crew reacted properly in this case and followed procedure.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 2019 at 2:13 pm Reason: Let's keep the discussion civil
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yytleisure
So a lady vomits. Clearly she is dangerous and infectious and must be quarantined immediately... I mean, she VOMITED! That, like, never happens!

Look, it’s scary to think you’re in an enclosed space with potentially infectious people. I get it. But freaking out and banning everyone with VERY COMMON MEDICAL SYMPTOMS is unrealistic, extremely over reactive, and just plain illogical.

Diarrhea can be cholera. Usually it’s not. We don’t ban all people with diarrhea from getting on planes.

Coughing can be tuberculosis. Usually it’s not. We don’t ban all people with a cough from getting on planes.

A skin rash can be any number of infectious diseases. Usually it’s not. We don’t ban all people with pimples or red spots from airplanes.

Glad the crew reacted properly in this case and followed procedure.
nowhere did I ask to have a person banned, I asked if there was a procedure in place for allowing ill passengers to fly. Now I know what it is and will know how to handle that situation in the future. That’s all

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 2019 at 2:14 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:51 am

nowhere did I ask to have a person banned, I asked if there was a procedure in place for allowing ill passengers to fly. Now I know what it is and will know how to handle that situation in the future. That’s all
The whole point of what you’re saying is that if there is a next time, you want to advise the crew to alert the captain if you, as a lay person, feel someone else possibly shouldn’t travel, ie be banned, from the aircraft. I’m quoting you as OP but I think the posts by Often1 and HNLbasedflyer suggesting you butt in are equally illogical and unnecessary.

What I’m saying is there are procedures to follow, it sounds like they were followed, and it’s not up to you to “still suggest he (captain) get up and make an evaluation” or make any other suggestions other than notifying an FA if you see an ill passenger requiring help. In this situation that wasn’t required as the crew was aware and the passenger wasn't being denied any requested help - therefore your part is over. Just stay out of it! And let the crew follow the procedures that have been outlined to you, but you still aren’t satisfied with because of your medical interpretations.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 2019 at 2:10 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I hate to make assumptions but when I saw the look on her face my first thought was this girl is hungover.
Originally Posted by boerne
Or Morning Sickness? Since you said "girl". hmm

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregna...is-gravidarum/
So what, now we should keep hungover or pregnant passengers from traveling because someone fears they might be too ill to travel? Who gets to make that call? What rights do the passengers affected have? What if they need that flight to get back to their medical treatment.

I have flown with a persistent cough. I try to keep it to myself and ingested cough drops by bagfull. Come to find out months later that it was a combination of medical conditions, neither of which were communicable.

Alternatively, when I had the shingles, my doctor quarantined me and told me she might have to cancel my travel plans for Christmas if I didn't meet CDC guidelines before travel.

IMO, it's on the passenger and his/her doctor to determine if s/he can travel. The FAs have a lot to do already.
chavala, yytleisure and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TBD
Seems presumptuous to make this statement without knowing whether the FA had already done so.
When it comes to my health and safety, I want to be certain. If the FA sys she's notified the Captain and the Captain has given the all-clear (presumably after checking with MedLink) that is fine. But, I don't want to be the person who later finds out that everyone ignored the issue and that the FA's just chalked it up to something benign (not contagious).
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:50 am

I actually looked this up because I found your post interesting, every single link I looked at showed nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea as a symptom of Viral Gastroenteritis aka “stomach flu” whereas influenza doesn’t usually include vomiting. So what was the point of your post? we’re you playing semantics here?

My point was that your medical speculation was vague and sloppy. If you don't know the symptoms of the flu, it isn't productive to speculate whether someone has it.

What went from a legitimate question turned into a debate like everything usually does on this board.
I am often just as attracted to FT for the debate as for the simple answers to questions. Your question was answered pretty quickly, including by an actual UA pilot; I think it's ok for there to be some adjacent debate on this thread also.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Often1
When it comes to my health and safety, I want to be certain. If the FA sys she's notified the Captain and the Captain has given the all-clear (presumably after checking with MedLink) that is fine. But, I don't want to be the person who later finds out that everyone ignored the issue and that the FA's just chalked it up to something benign (not contagious).
It’s not up to any passenger, unless you have some relevant expertise requested by the crew. If you aren’t certain that the procedures meet your personal standards, offload from the flight. Don’t possibly subject another passenger to offloading or delaying the rest of the passengers because you aren’t quite satisfied a vague medical issue has been dealt with.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 2019 at 2:16 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:29 pm

If the passenger is too sick to travel then why did the gate agent even allow the passenger to board in the first place? To me it s irresponsible to allow a very sick passenger who is too sick to fly. I think airlines could have waivers whereby if the Passenger is proactive and seeks medical care up to 24 hours after departure they will get their change fees waived and be price protected for a future flight. Considerate passengers would save everyone from catching their communicable disease and would cut down on crew and passenger illness. Heck if I knew the airline would put me on a new flight for little to no additional cost for being proactive I would definitely do so. Why should I be a burden to a medical emergency or cost the airline a lot for a diversion.

It costs less to deny a passenger and have them seek medical care and rebook them than to divert a flight possibly delaying the hundreds of passengers if the destination has a landing curfew.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by danielonn
If the passenger is too sick to travel then why did the gate agent even allow the passenger to board in the first place? ...
The interaction of passenger and GA is about 5 seconds -- The passenger may be able to buff it for those 5 seconds. The passenger is there because they want to board and know that they need to get past the GA.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:04 pm

Doesn't seem like the passenger in this story was "too sick to travel". In fact, she traveled successfully, no indication that she was contagious, no indication she was worse off in the plane than she would have been sitting in the airport, no indication her condition was in danger of worsening.

The vomiting was unpleasant for those around her....but you know the airline puts vomit bags in every seatback pocket because they expect people will be vomiting, right?
yytleisure and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.