Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Security Breach/Drunk Passenger allowed to board all in one DIA

Old Apr 4, 19, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, WN A+

I had an interesting experience at DEN yesterday while boarding a flight to MCI. Before I got to the gate,a security breach occurred and all trains and security were shut down for about 45 minutes causing significant delays at both checkpoints and heavy backups on the train. 70 minutes later I ran to the gate during boarding and was upgraded to 1E. Little did I know the drama was not over, as the gate agent allowed a very drunk passenger to board. 1C told the FA that there was an inebriated passenger in Y and I had a front row seat to the machinations of the new normal. He explained to the FA and others that the guy was stumbling around the gate area and swearing like a sailor. I thought at first it may have been exaggerated, but found out later he was right.

FA found out who the culprit was, and then asked the Purser how to proceed. After going back to Y and accidentally confronting the wrong passenger, a third FA came forward and confirmed the poor condition of the passenger. The FAs thought it might be harmless, but decided to ask the Captain, as they did not want to delay the flight. The Captain clearly stated, "now that he knew about the problem, the passenger had to be removed". He then deplaned and went to the gate area.
Two supervisors boarded the plane and one stayed in front, and another went back to remove the passenger. Thank goodness the passenger came off without a fuss. We departed on time and arrived early.

I heard the supervisors saying that the GA should never have allowed the guy to board, and would likely see some sort of reprimand. Her lack of diligence might have caused some real headaches for her supervisors, and some additional unwanted media attention.
I haven't had this sort of experience before, but was curious what the consequences might be for allowing the passenger to board in such a bad condition.
Old Apr 4, 19, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Interesting story.

Do you know the GA was aware of the drunk passenger? i'm not saying the GA did or didn't know but it sounds like you don't know either since you ran to the gate and boarded immediately because you were delayed by the security breach.

So if the GA wasn't aware, how can they be reprimanded? And "in front of the gate" could be far away from where the GA is positioned to even notice. Unless a passenger brought it to his/her attention, I'd err on the side of caution for blaming the GA in allowing the passenger to board. DEN boarding gates have lots of obstructions between where the GA usually stands (over by the jet bridge) and the rest of the gate area.

It's entirely possible a drunk passenger "seemed normal" when they walked up to the gate, had their BP scanned and entered the jet bridge.

-RM
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 4, 19, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, WN A+
RM
You are right, I never saw any strange behavior due to my late arrival. You are also right that unless someone told her about the passenger, it may have been difficult for her to ascertain in a two second transaction.
That is why I thought it was odd to hear the supervisor say what I thought I heard.

BTW, the offending GA came on board at the very last minute to deliver paperwork and seemed a little sheepish about the whole thing, confessing her inability to detect the problem.
Also, I think I heard 1C warn the FA that a drunk and belligerent guy was at the gate, BEFORE he boarded, but I was finding space for my bags and was a little out of breath and focus....
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I feel sorry for the GA if he/she gets in trouble. They see the pax only for a moment as the jam a ticket / phone towards them to be scanned along with a hundred other passengers. I don't believe they are there to screen all passengers boarding?? I can't even count the times I have been on flights with drunks. One guy got arrested upon landing at SFO for swearing at the FAs and crew for being cut off. He was sitting next to me on the flightr and everyone thought he "my buddy", I had never seen the guy in my life. At baggage claim I was even approached and asked if I wanted to take his bags as he had been arrested... LOL
Miggles likes this.

Last edited by nomad420; Apr 4, 19 at 5:13 pm Reason: typo corrected
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by MHDFLYER View Post
I had an interesting experience at DEN yesterday while boarding a flight to MCI. Before I got to the gate,a security breach occurred and all trains and security were shut down for about 45 minutes causing significant delays at both checkpoints and heavy backups on the train. 70 minutes later I ran to the gate during boarding and was upgraded to 1E. Little did I know the drama was not over, as the gate agent allowed a very drunk passenger to board. 1C told the FA that there was an inebriated passenger in Y and I had a front row seat to the machinations of the new normal. He explained to the FA and others that the guy was stumbling around the gate area and swearing like a sailor. I thought at first it may have been exaggerated, but found out later he was right.

FA found out who the culprit was, and then asked the Purser how to proceed. After going back to Y and accidentally confronting the wrong passenger, a third FA came forward and confirmed the poor condition of the passenger. The FAs thought it might be harmless, but decided to ask the Captain, as they did not want to delay the flight. The Captain clearly stated, "now that he knew about the problem, the passenger had to be removed". He then deplaned and went to the gate area.
Two supervisors boarded the plane and one stayed in front, and another went back to remove the passenger. Thank goodness the passenger came off without a fuss. We departed on time and arrived early.

I heard the supervisors saying that the GA should never have allowed the guy to board, and would likely see some sort of reprimand. Her lack of diligence might have caused some real headaches for her supervisors, and some additional unwanted media attention.
I haven't had this sort of experience before, but was curious what the consequences might be for allowing the passenger to board in such a bad condition.
While unfortunate, stuff happens. I have seen similar situations. Short of a breathalyzer and playing 20 questions with each pax before boarding I don't think we can expect a perfect world. Seems like it was handled expediently enough and the flight carried on.
Old Apr 4, 19, 5:13 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Crew and GA are overly concerned about closing the door as quickly as possible that they were probably hoping that they could have just ignored the issue...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: