Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tips on getting best Business Class ticket price

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips on getting best Business Class ticket price

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by deniah
RT. I'm flying EU to NA/SEA/SSA and most of my leisure trips are 1600-2400 EUR , thats sticking with *A and flying point to point (wife wouldnt put up with the positioning nonsense). Discount J is still J seat .
I'll only occasionally pay more if needed for promotions - like for companion seats, or matching award seats.
ex-EU is drastically cheaper than ex-US at this point.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This seems an appropriate thread to point out that UA is currently offering P fares SFO to most Europe destinations in the $2500-2700 range for August.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Only looking at United flights?
Looking at other airlines will open more opportunities.
This. I’m flying TATL tomorrow on DL/KLM, partially because they are the contracted carrier, partially because when loads are light, they offer very reasonable cash upgrades to business at check-in. Which I reserved at check in. No playing the W lottery, no double digit waiting list. In two weeks, we are going TATL again, this time on LH, because after you buy a Premium Economy ticket, at about 2 months out, we got a VERY attractive upgrade offer to business.

I haven't abandoned UA, but I have abandoned blind loyalty to UA. All things equal, I usually choose UA, but increasingly, I’m finding better deals elsewhere.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:12 pm

In addition to the suggestions here, I would suggest shooting off an email to a legitimate consolidator such as Cook Travel who I've used a number of times because a lot of their
flights seem to end up on UA. They can tell you in advance who they can book.
Reservations display on the carrier website and you get the usual amenities, miles, advance seat selection, etc.
I'm leaving Tuesday on one of their tickets using UA, and LH to Budapest.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many excellent suggestions here. Let me add one more, the best tip I ever got about buying premium airfare.
Once you buy the ticket, stop watching prices.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rickg523
Many excellent suggestions here. Let me add one more, the best tip I ever got about buying premium airfare.
Once you buy the ticket, stop watching prices.
If purchased in united.com and fare drops >$100 within 30 days of purchase, UA will refund the difference (to an ETC) after a $50 service charge
Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:43 am
RNE

In July, I booked two economy class tickets CLE-ORD-FCO/MXP-EWR-CLE for travel in mid-May 2020 for $1150 each. I wanted to be in business class for the ORD-FCO (763 aircraft) overnight segment, but didn't want to pay ~$5k per ticket price. Anyway, every so often I'd check to see what UA wanted to upgrade the ORD-FCO segment. For months, it was never lower than $2310. Today, it dropped to $1260. ^ Which, if I purchased the upgrade, would bring the total per-ticket price to $2410. Is that a good deal? (Remember, only one segment is in business.)
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RNE
In July, I booked two economy class tickets CLE-ORD-FCO/MXP-EWR-CLE for travel in mid-May 2020 for $1150 each. I wanted to be in business class for the ORD-FCO (763 aircraft) overnight segment, but didn't want to pay ~$5k per ticket price. Anyway, every so often I'd check to see what UA wanted to upgrade the ORD-FCO segment. For months, it was never lower than $2310. Today, it dropped to $1260. ^ Which, if I purchased the upgrade, would bring the total per-ticket price to $2410. Is that a good deal? (Remember, only one segment is in business.)
Good deals are always relative.

Could you possibly get a lower price for that buyup? Yes, substantially ($829 is common, $599 has been heard-of but is very rare). This is probably what you're really asking and I would say that $1,260 doesn't represent an uncommonly low price for the buyup so I would not be in a huge rush to purchase it.

Could you do better than $2,410 for a TATL trip with only one direction in J? Yes, not too hard to have the whole thing in J for that price.

Would I rather pay $1,260 than overnight in Y? Absolutely.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:01 am
RNE

Originally Posted by findark
Would I rather pay $1,260 than overnight in Y? Absolutely.
That, too, is my thinking. And ORD-FCO travel time is long enough to allow 5 or so hours of sleep between dinner and breakfast services. I'm leaning toward pulling the trigger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.