Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$7000 oversold offer on UA 310, Mar 23

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rowenb

Well, this is spring break week for Chicago schools, so that flight is chock full of families (mine included).
I'd pay them $5000 to get off a plane full of families
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Not to mention cover the PQD that could bump someone to a higher status level.....
Does UA really treat these vouchers as cash for PQD purposes? That's amazing if that's the case.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:43 am

Really basic questions here... Do these voluntary bump vouchers have to be used all at once, or can you keep the remaining balance and use them to make multiple bookings over time? And if you can do that, how long are they good for?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by COUnited
Really basic questions here... Do these voluntary bump vouchers have to be used all at once, or can you keep the remaining balance and use them to make multiple bookings over time? And if you can do that, how long are they good for?
They can be used over and over, and one year.
COUnited likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by s0ssos
If you were travelling as a family, ditching your spouse and your kids isn't about security. I'm sure the spouse can handle it. I'm not sure they want to.
(I do know one couple where the husband flies solo, often getting upgraded in the process, and wife meets him there with the 2 kids. Miserable for the wife).
That was pretty much us this week, except one kid (11yo), not two.

I was in Florida for work anyway, so decided to stay an extra day and flew them down to catch a spring training game. Found some last minute saver fares, so why not? They don't need me to travel; perfectly competent to do it on their own. We're on the return flight now, I got a battlefield upgrade so my wife's enjoying the big seat. Weekend getaway *and* brownie points in the process.

Even better, they got to EWR early and were able to standby onto an earlier flight right before gate closed at no charge since they were using my miles. I forget that others have to pay -- free SDC's is by far the best MileagePlus benefit.

Now to go back on topic... Last year I scored a $1,000 voucher by taking a bump off UAX CMH-EWR and onto CMH-LGA via American. Landed at LGA, took an Uber to Penn Station, the train to EWR and got home about 90 minutes total later than originally scheduled. I'd call that worth it

Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Would have been very easy math for me. Family trips to Hawaii and/or Europe on UA. No brainer....

--Jon
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
You mean the fact you would leave your family behind, like the man did?
Divorce is usually more than $5k
I think divorce considerations would come into play if one of us did NOT take the $5,000 (let alone $7,000).*

*Weddings, funerals, parent's milestone birthdays/anniversaries excepted (maybe).
findark likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Many people may expect some “catch” as this sounds too good to be true, think either they have to use all $5000 in one trip, or the $5000 will be paid in small increments and have to be used one at a time (e.g. paid in 50 $100 vouchers, and each trip can only use one voucher).
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Which is why the VDB system benefits those who are sophisticated about it. No easy way around that at the gate or onboard.
LAXOGG, MSPeconomist and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Often1
Which is why the VDB system benefits those who are sophisticated about it. No easy way around that at the gate or onboard.
And as I recall, the offers usually only state the amount, like "seven thousand dollar voucher," and the time limit, like "good anywhere United flies for one year."

For many infrequent flyers (and us FTers really need to remember that we're relatively rare compared the vast majority of pax on flights), they may only be able to process "one year - but we only get to grandma's every other year, if that, and it sounds complicated, and I'm with my family or SO, and I dunno..." And that's that.

Never underestimate the power of inertia.

I would even posit that many here who say "I would have shot out of my seat like a cannon," should the opportunity actually ever occur, would have several moments of inertia.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Every time I'm on an overbooked flight and there are offers to fly later for a voucher its a scenario where I have to get where I'm going so its a no-go for me. Every. Time.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
That was pretty much us this week, except one kid (11yo), not two.
For them it was 2 kids, 2 and 6. A little different.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian

I would even posit that many here who say "I would have shot out of my seat like a cannon," should the opportunity actually ever occur, would have several moments of inertia.
I can attest to inertia of experienced fliers.

Was offered a deal like this on a trip where it was right before a holiday, but I hesitated in part because I processed it internally more like $500 and had it set in my head my GF and I would sit together.

Rational thought took over and took the big voucher.

I'd still think hard if holiday time with family were at risk.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
For them it was 2 kids, 2 and 6. A little different.
the 2yo, I agree. By 6, my little guy had flown more than most Americans.... my travel buddy! I’d take him anywhere, with or without my wife ...
JNelson113 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Bonehead
No one took the $5000 offer? Wow.
Could have taken the husband that gap in time to discuss with wife - hey, for $7k let's do it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.