Wiki Posts
Search

$7000 oversold offer on UA 310, Mar 23

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
$7000 oversold offer on UA 310, Mar 23

I’m on UA 310 from ORD-LAX, about to take off. After everyone was boarded, they announced they needed 1 volunteer to take a flight tomorrow, and they were offering $5000 + hotel. After that got no takers, they upped it to $7000. At that point one of other passengers in first class took it, leaving his wife and their lap child on the plane. As the wife said after he left, they can stand to be apart for a night in order to get their Christmas vacation paid for!

But seriously - has anyone ever heard of such a generous offer in an oversold situation? And what would motivate United to offer that?!?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rowenb
I’m on UA 310 from ORD-LAX, about to take off. After everyone was boarded, they announced they needed 1 volunteer to take a flight tomorrow, and they were offering $5000 + hotel. After that got no takers, they upped it to $7000. At that point one of other passengers in first class took it, leaving his wife and their lap child on the plane. As the wife said after he left, they can stand to be apart for a night in order to get their Christmas vacation paid for!

But seriously - has anyone ever heard of such a generous offer in an oversold situation? And what would motivate United to offer that?!?
No one took the $5000 offer? Wow.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonehead
No one took the $5000 offer? Wow.
Well, this is spring break week for Chicago schools, so that flight is chock full of families (mine included).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:35 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
As far as what would motivate them to offer 7k, I suggest a YOUTUBE search for "David Dao United Airlines".
Spiff, ctownflyer, wrp96 and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
And a new mythical creature is born. The 7000 dollar offer.
wrp96 and InsomniaBA like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:17 am

Ugh, I would have jumped up so fast and ran to the front at $5k
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
And you get a different experience on UAX. They ask for volunteers without stating a number and without stating that they have a hotel for you. Then when they have no volunteers they start screaming that the flight will be cancelled.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
And you get a different experience on UAX. They ask for volunteers without stating a number
Last time I flew an oversold UX flight, they announced right off it was $800.
cawhite and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that it would have been a $5000/$7000 UA voucher, presumably expiring in a year, not actual money.

Is there some relevant basketball playoff game for the flight that would cause people to need to fly from ORD to LAX today?
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not long after the Dao incident I saw them do that at $700-800 a seat to get a dozen seats because of a downgauge. It was ORD-DTW - I would have considered it if I hadn't been up all night already. It was at the holidays and it might have been a while for an empty seat to show up, but it's not a long drive and a one-way rental car wouldn't have been too expensive.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Dear Deity of Frequent Fliers, please, please, let this happen to me.

Thank you.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that it would have been a $5000/$7000 UA voucher, presumably expiring in a year, not actual money.

Is there some relevant basketball playoff game for the flight that would cause people to need to fly from ORD to LAX today?
Even so, $5K-$7K can get you anywhere between 1 to 3 (or more) roundtrip long-haul P fares.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Dang I would've jumped on that in a heart beat - I feel like lately I've - at most - had app-based requests with GA deciding nothing is needed

Edit: ORD-LAX a route I take often too.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They did not on our flight from ORD. It was not oversold. It was a problem that they had put too much fuel and needed passengers out of the plane. As I said, no amount and no hotel and it was 10:00 PM. They would have said $800 and a hotel, my wife and I would have taken it. We were returning from HKG and were tired so did not feel like volunteering if everything was not spelled out. The threats of the flight cancelling started before they thought of stating an amount which was in the $300 range. It took them 20 more minutes before they mentioned a hotel was provided but not which hotel and how close. And it was many months after Oscar had said that passengers would be treated nicely under those circumstances.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:10 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

hub with connections to beach destinations. IAH would likely be even worse as it has access to all the beach destination this side of 1/2 way across the Pacific

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.