Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$7000 oversold offer on UA 310, Mar 23

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Go to the Bonvoy forum and read the thread about how StR Aspen treats late arrivals due to weather and airline IROPs. It could cost you as much as $32,000 to arrive the following morning and the hotel would probably require you to book a new reservation at close to rack rate for the actual time you stay.
What does that have to do with LAX and a St. Regis award stay in Aspen? It is reasonable to think many of the fliers actually live in the LAX vicinity.
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:12 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that it would have been a $5000/$7000 UA voucher, presumably expiring in a year, not actual money.

Is there some relevant basketball playoff game for the flight that would cause people to need to fly from ORD to LAX today?
If it were cash, it would have made sense to grab it at $5K and book the next flight out on another airline and still come out ahead without missing too much time.

LAX
getagb likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
There must be more to this - I agree, I'd expect multiple people to jump at even $1,000 or $2,000 - let alone $5,000. There must've been other conditions that brought the pool of eligible down - like, cannot have a checked bag - LAX must be final destination - etc.
You mean the fact you would leave your family behind, like the man did?
Divorce is usually more than $5k
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Add me to the list of, "Why can't this happen to me?" $5K and I would be out the door faster than anyone can ring their flight attendant call button to signify they're interested. First one off the plane wins, right?

I'm also on an ex-ORD flight on Monday but I wouldn't say to a high spring break destination. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. The flight quickly went from J3Y9 to zeroed out in less than 24 hours. And I can't find a downgauge so I think it's truly oversold.

-RM
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What does that have to do with LAX and a St. Regis award stay in Aspen? It is reasonable to think many of the fliers actually live in the LAX vicinity.
I'm just pointing out that certain hotels can charge you more than $5,000 if you take the next day's flight. Yeah, in this case, it's unlikely that someone on the flight was connecting back to Colorado at LAX, but for all we know there are other hotels elsewhere with similar policies.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Even so, $5K-$7K can get you anywhere between 1 to 3 (or more) roundtrip long-haul P fares.
Not to mention cover the PQD that could bump someone to a higher status level.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
It’d be in the form of a UA voucher, which I would consider to be basically as good as cash.
Does cash expire? So what if someone only uses 3k in value of the voucher? Are they still liable for taxes on the full 10k?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
I mean, just spending the voucher would at least get you Gold for free, and get you really close to Platinum...for non-US members, probably 1K easily.

Insane. I would've taken $500. I'm sure if I explain to my professors, "my flight was oversold, and I was offered 7 grand to take another flight," they'd be understanding of my absence.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by JMBResona
I mean, just spending the voucher would at least get you Gold for free, and get you really close to Platinum...for non-US members, probably 1K easily.

Insane. I would've taken $500. I'm sure if I explain to my professors, "my flight was oversold, and I was offered 7 grand to take another flight," they'd be understanding of my absence.
Maybe if you are in law school, not sure about medical school.
TommyD2 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:14 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Unless you are going miss an exam or something, I can't imagine missing a day of lectures would be that big of a deal, regardless of what professional school one attends.

LAX
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
You mean the fact you would leave your family behind, like the man did?
Divorce is usually more than $5k
I would hope most husbands and wives are secure enough to be apart for an evening.

Walk up one ways on just about every airline is under $400 if one did not want to spend the night.

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Mar 23, 2019 at 4:36 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Law professor here. I’d probably give a student bonus points if they missed an exam to take a $7,000 voucher.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore

Interestingly short UG list...

Assuming this doesn't reflect the actual list on this route -- In this scenario would FLO, T have been the last pax to get on (displacing the F pax who volunteered) or a battlefield upgrade with the GA taking the time to re-seat FLO, T and then seat the last to board in FLO, T's old Y seat?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:44 pm

I would hope most husbands and wives are secure enough to be apart for an evening.

Walk up one ways on just about every airline is under $400 if one did not want to spend the night.
If you were travelling as a family, ditching your spouse and your kids isn't about security. I'm sure the spouse can handle it. I'm not sure they want to.
(I do know one couple where the husband flies solo, often getting upgraded in the process, and wife meets him there with the 2 kids. Miserable for the wife).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:11 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by onthesam

Interestingly short UG list...

Assuming this doesn't reflect the actual list on this route -- In this scenario would FLO, T have been the last pax to get on (displacing the F pax who volunteered) or a battlefield upgrade with the GA taking the time to re-seat FLO, T and then seat the last to board in FLO, T's old Y seat?
once the flight closes it only shows who got upgraded, not the entire waitlist of people not getting upgraded
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Could there have been LAX-bound deadheading pilots involved in this calculus? The numbers are astronomical, it's difficult to imagine no takers on the initial $5k offer; I've never even inherited that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.