Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$7000 oversold offer on UA 310, Mar 23

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am going to start taking the last flight of the day more now
poohhead80 and EWAarghhh like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there some relevant basketball playoff game for the flight that would cause people to need to fly from ORD to LAX today?
Decidedly no. Couldn't even see a connecting pax scenario where NCAA tourney folks would be traveling ORD-LAX.

C2E2 perhaps but that doesn't wrap up until tomorrow...
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone know if the lucky guy is gonna get a 1099 from UAL next year for the $7K?
phkc070408 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Even so, $5K-$7K can get you anywhere between 1 to 3 (or more) roundtrip long-haul P fares.
Which, for many (most?) us wouldn't matter because we don't all have unlimited time to travel.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Which, for many (most?) us wouldn't matter because we don't all have unlimited time to travel.
3 trips you can spread out over two years are very much doable, even for lesiure travelers.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Anyone know if the lucky guy is gonna get a 1099 from UAL next year for the $7K?
i think he will.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Although post-Dao, UA (and others) are very careful not to board until they have the passenger count right (or at least hold back sufficient boarding to deal with an overbooking becoming an oversale), this is one of those situations where it would not be apparent until after boarding, given the sequence of departure workflow.

The high starting amount is likely due to tight onwards connections which can leave UA on the hook for a good deal more than $5K-$7K. In another situation, I would presume they would star at a more reasonable number because it is easy enough to bump that up and often there is someone quite happy to take $400 + hotel.

This kind of phantom income can sting if one doesn't make plans, but if one does, it's a good deal even if you are in a higher tax bracket and have federal + state, maybe something else to report.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by sonofzeus

Why? Vouchers aren’t taxable.
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Bonehead
No one took the $5000 offer? Wow.
My husband and I would of both gotten off for 5k each. We'd miss 1 day of our vacation if paid in cash.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
My husband and I would of both gotten off for 5k each. We'd miss 1 day of our vacation if paid in cash.
It’d be in the form of a UA voucher, which I would consider to be basically as good as cash.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Is this for real? I have a hard time understanding how anyone would turn down 5k$?!

1-2k$ and I would run to take it.
benewr likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Andaz
Is this for real? I have a hard time understanding how anyone would turn down 5k$?!

There must be more to this - I agree, I'd expect multiple people to jump at even $1,000 or $2,000 - let alone $5,000. There must've been other conditions that brought the pool of eligible down - like, cannot have a checked bag - LAX must be final destination - etc.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Who would turn down the $5k, madness! I have a flight coming up on Monday out of a Holiday destination that is currently totally sold out (possibly oversold), hoping for some sweet, sweet VDB!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Andaz

Go to the Bonvoy forum and read the thread about how StR Aspen treats late arrivals due to weather and airline IROPs. It could cost you as much as $32,000 to arrive the following morning and the hotel would probably require you to book a new reservation at close to rack rate for the actual time you stay.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by rowenb
I’m on UA 310 from ORD-LAX, about to take off. After everyone was boarded, they announced they needed 1 volunteer to take a flight tomorrow, and they were offering $5000 + hotel. After that got no takers, they upped it to $7000. At that point one of other passengers in first class took it, leaving his wife and their lap child on the plane. As the wife said after he left, they can stand to be apart for a night in order to get their Christmas vacation paid for!

But seriously - has anyone ever heard of such a generous offer in an oversold situation? And what would motivate United to offer that?!?
Shocked there wasn't a Black Friday style stampede

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.