Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Difficulty of Star Alliance Gold in booking close-in aisle/window 772 Bus. seats.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difficulty of Star Alliance Gold in booking close-in aisle/window 772 Bus. seats.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by revigik
If you were assigned seats in row 1 or 2, then she did you a favor that most UA elites (except GS) don't usually get. Those were the old First Class seats that are now sold as Business but held for GS. ...
For more see, 3-class First seats now deemed Domestic F/Polaris Bus. Only GS may choose them.

And be more explicit, if not UA GS ( the very, very top UA elites), other *G level UA elites (IKs, Plats, Gold, million milers not GS)) do not have advance access to Row 1 or 2 seats.

If going to GRU, only ORD-GRU use these aircraft, Other GRU routes use other aircraft types.

This aircraft is being phased out, more than half have been converted to the new Polaris seat.
AceReport likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My wife, a 1K,, was unable to choose any seat on a nearly empty flight from EWR-LHR last night. The GA couldn't understand why not, said that she had never seen that issue before, and took a good five minutes trying to sort out the problem. FWIW, she'd SDC'd onto the flight and the SDC process was broken on her ticket as well (it was not BE). So glitches do happen.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I tend to book my long haul international trips 4 to 9 months in advance and then I always manage to get my preferred seats in the 2-4-2 772. Today, I had to book a long haul international trip only two months away and the choices were more limited. So, I'm not surprised that the OP could not get any windows or aisle seats on a short notice. It's not like United is going to remove a passenger from their seat to accommodate a passenger who booked late.

If it happens that you have to book late, then you have to frequently check the seat map as in the last 2 or 3 days it changes a lot with some passengers cancelling their trips or switching to other flights.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I tend to book my long haul international trips 4 to 9 months in advance and then I always manage to get my preferred seats in the 2-4-2 772. Today, I had to book a long haul international trip only two months away and the choices were more limited. So, I'm not surprised that the OP could not get any windows or aisle seats on a short notice. It's not like United is going to remove a passenger from their seat to accommodate a passenger who booked late.

If it happens that you have to book late, then you have to frequently check the seat map as in the last 2 or 3 days it changes a lot with some passengers cancelling their trips or switching to other flights.
I think it's called Expert Flyer. Very effective to improve your seat for these types of scenarios
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bobblevins
I think it's called Expert Flyer. Very effective to improve your seat for these types of scenarios
+1
Seat alerts to the rescue my last two flights.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
Of course that's a possibility, but still I struggle to understand why the UA agent at YYZ wasn't supposed to do what she did. A window seat was available but I didn't have access to it until she broke the rules on my behalf, and I concluded that it may be because I'm a one-million-miler on the wrong FF program. I would hope that, as a *A Gold customer paying top dollar, I would receive the same benefits as an equivalent MileagePlus traveler.
Honestly, I'd take a GA's comment like this with an entire salt shaker's worth of salt. This can easily be translated into "I really don't want to take the effort to move you, but since I am, I want you to think I'm doing you a big favor, Mr. *A Gold from another airline"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.