Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Difficulty of Star Alliance Gold in booking close-in aisle/window 772 Bus. seats.

Difficulty of Star Alliance Gold in booking close-in aisle/window 772 Bus. seats.

Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue

I am based in Toronto and fly frequently to South America and Europe. My airline of choice for most international travel is AC and I am a perennial top-tier status traveler. AC treats me well, overall.

Recently I have traveled twice on short notice to Brazil. AC does the YYZ-GRU run but on both trips, facing long waiting lists for business class in addition to sky-high airfares (in excess of C$12K return) I looked for alternatives and chose UA. I have flown through ORD, EWR and IAD between YYZ & GRU. By and large it's been a decent experience and this morning, on my way home, I had a four-hour layover at EWR and really enjoyed the Polaris lounge in terminal C, which is on par with the best international business class lounges, IMO, including AC's new Signature Lounge at YYZ.

Two of the four legs between the US and GRU were on 777s with a 2-4-2 configuration in the business class cabin, with some seats facing to the rear, sort of BA Club World fashion. It's an outdated product with too many sardines crammed into the tin can. I'm sure UA knows this and I assume they are working to modernize their fleet; but anyway that's not the subject of my complaint. The issue is that, based on my limited sample size of two, there is no way for me, a Star Alliance Gold member and paying business class traveler (C$9K return, on both trips) to book an aisle or window seat. All I can get is a middle seat in one of the banks of four.

On my second trip, on the outbound leg, I begged the UA agent at check-in at YYZ, and she very kindly moved me to a window seat, noting that "I'm not supposed to do this, sir". I thanked her profusely, as you can well imagine, and enjoyed the flight much more than on the first trip.

This is ridiculous, IMO. Granted, the sample size is small, but the agent's comment confirmed my belief that even SA Gold members of programs other than MileagePlus get the last dibs on seat selection. Come on, UA, can't you treat us lowly Aeroplan members better than that, especially when we're paying top dollar?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:46 am

Other than some seats blocked for operational purposes, I dont think United blocks seat assignments that have not been taken for Uniteds own members, especially in C class. Maybe its because you booked last minute and all the good seats were taken?
Miggles, AceReport and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by myperks
Other than some seats blocked for operational purposes, I dont think United blocks seat assignments that have not been taken for Uniteds own members, especially in C class. Maybe its because you booked last minute and all the good seats were taken?
Of course that's a possibility, but still I struggle to understand why the UA agent at YYZ wasn't supposed to do what she did. A window seat was available but I didn't have access to it until she broke the rules on my behalf, and I concluded that it may be because I'm a one-million-miler on the wrong FF program. I would hope that, as a *A Gold customer paying top dollar, I would receive the same benefits as an equivalent MileagePlus traveler.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
I am based in Toronto and fly frequently to South America and Europe. My airline of choice for most international travel is AC and I am a perennial top-tier status traveler. AC treats me well, overall.

Recently I have traveled twice on short notice to Brazil. AC does the YYZ-GRU run but on both trips, facing long waiting lists for business class in addition to sky-high airfares (in excess of C$12K return) I looked for alternatives and chose UA. I have flown through ORD, EWR and IAD between YYZ & GRU. By and large it's been a decent experience and this morning, on my way home, I had a four-hour layover at EWR and really enjoyed the Polaris lounge in terminal C, which is on par with the best international business class lounges, IMO, including AC's new Signature Lounge at YYZ.

Two of the four legs between the US and GRU were on 777s with a 2-4-2 configuration in the business class cabin, with some seats facing to the rear, sort of BA Club World fashion. It's an outdated product with too many sardines crammed into the tin can. I'm sure UA knows this and I assume they are working to modernize their fleet; but anyway that's not the subject of my complaint. The issue is that, based on my limited sample size of two, there is no way for me, a Star Alliance Gold member and paying business class traveler (C$9K return, on both trips) to book an aisle or window seat. All I can get is a middle seat in one of the banks of four.

On my second trip, on the outbound leg, I begged the UA agent at check-in at YYZ, and she very kindly moved me to a window seat, noting that "I'm not supposed to do this, sir". I thanked her profusely, as you can well imagine, and enjoyed the flight much more than on the first trip.

This is ridiculous, IMO. Granted, the sample size is small, but the agent's comment confirmed my belief that even SA Gold members of programs other than MileagePlus get the last dibs on seat selection. Come on, UA, can't you treat us lowly Aeroplan members better than that, especially when we're paying top dollar?
I don't understand why you think this is true - just because the seats you wanted were already taken?
Silver Fox and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Of course that's a possibility, but still I struggle to understand why the UA agent at YYZ wasn't supposed to do what she did.
What seat were you assigned?

The only thing I can think of is that it was blocked due to being reserved for a pilot rest seat. As has been already said, UA allows any passenger to reserve any available seat in business class, regardless of status.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Indeed, this post is based on a misconception. If you book early enough, any seat is available to you, irrespective of the fare paid for C and your tier status.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:07 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I am guessing the window seat the gate agent unblocked is next to the pilot rest seat. It's supposed to be the last seat assigned to a passenger, since they are supposed to assign all other seats possible before putting someone next to the rest seat.

UA, in general, does not block premium cabin seats outside of ones reserved for pilot rest. Sounds like you booked fairly last minute, and there were no other seats available other than the middles. This is not due to the fact that you're *G - same rule would have applied to others as well, including UA elites.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Ithe agent's comment confirmed my belief that even SA Gold members of programs other than MileagePlus get the last dibs on seat selection.
That may be your belief, but it is utterly lacking in factual basis. UA seat selection is first come, first served. UA elites get zero preference. What could be fairer than that?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by Kacee
That may be your belief, but it is utterly lacking in factual basis. UA seat selection is first come, first served. UA elites get zero preference. What could be fairer than that?
Except for those old Global First seats
AceReport likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by samjnz
Except for those old Global First seats
And all UA elites except GS get screwed on that one.
AceReport likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

Two of the four legs between the US and GRU were on 777s with a 2-4-2 configuration in the business class cabin, with some seats facing to the rear, sort of BA Club World fashion. It's an outdated product with too many sardines crammed into the tin can. I'm sure UA knows this and I assume they are working to modernize their fleet;
UA is in the process of converting the 777's with the 2-4-2 layout to all-aisle-access (i.e. Polaris seats). In the future, if you find yourself on one of these aircraft with the Polaris cabin, the complaint will be "my window seat didn't actually have a window."
Yoshi212 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
With the way I have been treated on UA (sometimes) I figured they hate all 1K's. Maybe a leftover from Smisek days.
Then sometimes I know I have been treated so nice but because of the staff I happened to deal with. Those would be nice and helpful to any customer.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:31 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

To clarify the topic of OP's concern, I edited the thread title. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
OP can choose to connect in IAD/IAH where they fly 763 to GRU, eliminating the possibility of a middle seat. And based on recent schedule, it looks like EWR-GRU is on pmCO 772 now. So all OP has to do now is avoid connecting in ORD.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
If you were assigned seats in row 1 or 2, then she did you a favor that most UA elites (except GS) don't usually get. Those were the old First Class seats that are now sold as Business but held for GS. Otherwise I concur that the standard Business seats are first come first serve.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.