Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The apparently infamous United cheeseburger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The apparently infamous United cheeseburger

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I thought they heated it in an oven.
Yes. Real heat.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I had this as a snack in F on OGG-SFO (red-eye, no meal served). I should have had the noodle salad instead.

I don't blame UA; microwaving a burger destroys it. The texture is just wrong. I think that the ingredients were good. I appreciated that the cheese was real and the veggies seemed fresh.
There are no microwaves onboard UA planes.
Miggles and getagb like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
As soon as I read "I was returning from SXSW in Austin, where I'd sat on a panel," I knew this would be some self-absorbed nonsense. The rest of the piece did nothing to dispel my initial reaction!
Steve M, cawhite, Miggles and 11 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Screenshot or it didn't happen.

(and not a generic stock pic of an airplane please...)
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I oftentimes hope the authors of pieces like this are UA forum FT'ers.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Even as a 1K I've never had one. However, I did have one on AA in F recently, and I can tell you it was not very good. Not horrible, but not very good. I wasn't expecting much, though.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Who ever said these were "infamous"? I thought everyone secretly agreed this was the best thing offered on the plane that doesn't come in a mini vodka bottle?
cawhite, onthesam and BeeeJay like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had one in F once on a pretzel bun, pretty tasty.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Who ever said these were "infamous"? I thought everyone secretly agreed this was the best thing offered on the plane that doesn't come in a mini vodka bottle?
From the title my first though was that they were "infamous" like the sundae and garlic bread -- namely, one of the few things UA gets right about food
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I've had these a few times. In my case, I've found the oven heating of the entire burger inside the paper wrapper inevitably makes for a hard (very) crusty bun with a burger that sometimes (1/3 in my case) is still cool to the taste despite a warm crusty dried out bun. I've also only received the lettuce and tomato once; the other 2 times it was not boarded. I expect this burger was healthier (or maybe less unhealthy) than the chicken parmagiana sandwich and it was certainly tastier than any of the boxed offerings but in the end, I'd rather just pick up a fresh salad from a terminal vendor if there's a decent one available and if I have the time.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Do they use the same burger in Y on BOB that they use in F or J for Snacks and Pre Arrival Meals?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I thought they heated it in an oven. I"ve had microwave White Castle Cheeseburgers - except for no pickle, tastes the same as in the store.
Do they? I have no idea what they have in the galleys of these planes (752)

To me it tasted mushy. I'm not sure why it would have that texture if it was not microwaved. I mean, it was edible, but I'd probably go for the other option next time. To me, a burger has to be freshly grilled or there's no point.

In the other hand my full meal on the inbound flight was very good.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
The burger is my go to meal when I’m on a BoB flight.

I rather like it ... but then again, I don’t eat the bun or cheese - I just extricate the patty itself and cut it up.

I miss the grilled chicken spinach salad ....
getagb likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
It's often a bit too greasy, and yeah sometimes it's not hot enough, but I'd take it over a McDonald's burger. I do actually really like the Sir Kensington ketchup. The biggest misstep is that they don't seem to load as much of the lettuce/tomato baggies as the number of burgers which is ridiculous.

I'm not sure what the point of Inc's articles are, I understand the tone is supposed to be humorous but the actual content is typically terrible as well.

Last edited by thesun; Mar 19, 2019 at 5:12 am Reason: Hit "enter" too fast on mobile
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by thesun
I'm not sure what the point of Inc's articles are,
I do.

It's called United bashing in this case, hence the picture of the United plane (and not the burger).
It relies on the prerequisite that the readers have heard bad things about United in the past, and thus have an urge/desire/curiosity to read further into "yet another" terrible thing United has bestowed upon its passengers.
It's basically the laziest form of "journalism".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.