Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MAX 9 still showing in reservation details{but all UA's MAX 9 are presently grounded}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAX 9 still showing in reservation details{but all UA's MAX 9 are presently grounded}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Raymoland
I doubt United is just planning on throwing those airplanes away. The plan is to get them flying again in the shortest possible amount of time.
Not sure what you're trying to say here.
Since two people posted just above me saying their equipment was already changed (one for March 30, the other for April), I think watching our flights (and new seat assignments) is the wise thing to do, don't you?

Last edited by chavala; Mar 27, 2019 at 2:43 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
IAH-LAX 1117 and LAX-OGG 454 Saturday 23rd still showing MAX9, but look to be 739 and 773ER. Kind agent let me switch from IAH-SFO-LAX 752s. Shorten trip by 30 minutes and get the real Polaris hard product to OGG.

The 773ER looks like a steady substitute for that LAX-OGG MAX.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
IAH-LAX 1117 and LAX-OGG 454 Saturday 23rd still showing MAX9, but look to be 739 and 773ER. Kind agent let me switch from IAH-SFO-LAX 752s. Shorten trip by 30 minutes and get the real Polaris hard product to OGG.

That's nice. ^ I'm on UA 1981 tomorrow, which got downgraded to a 738. I guess that not all MAX routes can be replaced with higher capacity planes.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by seat38a
My reservation now shows all MAX9 flights as 900's.
Cool. Since this more than a temporary grounding of one or two flights they took the time to go in and re-code all the existing 737-Max flights to whatever aircraft is replacing them for that leg (usually a regular 739). But in the cases of the IROPS here or there, they don't update that data and the only way to see what aircraft you'll be on is via the seat map. Even EF doesn't update when an equipment swap is done.

-RM
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Nice! ^
Wondering where they fly the 77W in from, since LAX typically has no 77W scheduled.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:42 am

OK I'm confused.
I've been watching my friends' flight (for PZ space) and their 737 MAX9 just changed to a 737 on both reservation, seat map and a dummy booking. Is there even such a thing as JUST a 737 (without a 700, 800 etc included?)
However both Seatguru and EF still show the MAX for that flight and it looks like a MAX to me (although I'm not sure how to tell from the "where to sit" wiki).

Is it possible UA just changed the name of the equipment without actually changing it, maybe to alleviate peoples' fears? Surely this can't be true.
June 13, #540 SFO-IAH
Anyone? What am seeing?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the FAA has grounded the MAX, UA cannot fly it with passengers, so that isn't an option unless it's un-grounded before the day of departure.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the FAA has grounded the MAX, UA cannot fly it with passengers, so that isn't an option unless it's un-grounded before the day of departure.
Yes, I know that. It's not my question.
I want to know what equipment is SCHEDULED for that flight since I can't find a seat map for a 737 (without the 700,800,900 tag) and since EF still shows it as a 7M9.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
Yes, I know that. It's not my question.
I want to know what equipment is SCHEDULED for that flight since I can't find a seat map for a 737 (without the 700,800,900 tag) and since EF still shows it as a 7M9.
Maybe this is just a placeholder for a 737 with the actual model yet to be determined - more so, as it is open as of now if the MAX versions will be back in the air.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Maybe this is just a placeholder for a 737 with the actual model yet to be determined - more so, as it is open as of now if the MAX versions will be back in the air.
That sounds right.
My friends are not afraid of flying in one, that's not an issue. I'm mainly trying to watch for UG space I sponsored for them. I understand there is no way of knowing if the MAX's will be flying by June.
I just find it curious. They changed the name of the equipment, but not really/officially, since it's still scheduled for the MAX according to seat map and EF. OK <shrug>

But just so I can keep sleuthing away, will somebody please explain how I can tell the difference between the 739 and the 79M seat maps? I looked at the different diagrams on UA and I'm not seeing it.
It doesn't seem to be listed on the main WIKI: Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think UA made a dev go and replace the display string for the 7M9 and set it to "Boeing 737". Both schedule and seatmap for your flight still show 7M9.
chavala likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.