Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Forced to drop a segment due to schedule change: refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

Dear sages,

Couldn’t quite figure out the best way to describe this in the title....

I am flying XXX-YYY-ZZZ. The fare is $1000 one way. If I were to just fly XXX-YYY, the fare would be $1500 one way. I have a 3 month stopover built into the fare.

There is a chance that YYY-ZZZ will drop from the schedule. If it does, UA will no longer be able to fly me to the final destination. I will be at the midpoint.

What, in this case, am I due? Does UA have a way of calculating the segment, regardless of the actual paid ticket?

Last edited by zrs70; Mar 16, 2019 at 8:54 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
UA will almost certainly re-route you on another route, or on another airline.

If you complain and ask for the segment to be dropped then they likely will. What happens then will depend on the agent and how they process it, but there's two options - they will either reprice it as a XXX-YYY one-way, which will increase the price, and thus no refund. Or they will apportion the two segments roughly in line with the PQD for each leg, and refund the amount for the second segment.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I had a drop after I started my trip- called UA and said not a problem and I would handle myself. They said to file a claim after finishing the flights- which I did and received a $150 refund. Suggest you wait and see if YYY-ZZZ is dropped from schedule and then see what UA offers or call them at that time.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by zrs70
There is a chance that YYY-ZZZ will drop from the schedule. If it does, UA will no longer be able to fly me to the final destination. I will be at the midpoint.

What, in this case, am I due? Does UA have a way of calculating the segment, regardless of the actual paid ticket?
If it's processed as an involuntary refund, it will be a portion of the fare from X to Z which is the same as the PQD calculation. It's usually pretty close to pro rata by distance, but of course it's never that simple.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you provide the specifics here, someone will almost certainly be able to provide you with the correct calculation and you can submit that when you ask for the refund.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
UA will almost certainly re-route you on another route, or on another airline.

If you complain and ask for the segment to be dropped then they likely will. What happens then will depend on the agent and how they process it, but there's two options - they will either reprice it as a XXX-YYY one-way, which will increase the price, and thus no refund. Or they will apportion the two segments roughly in line with the PQD for each leg, and refund the amount for the second segment.
Only option 2 is a realistic outcome. Option 1 describes what would happen for a voluntary change. UA isn't going to consider it a voluntary change if they drop the route from their schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.