Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Plane sits idle at gate for 9+ hours. Then delayed due to lack of catering/cleaning.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plane sits idle at gate for 9+ hours. Then delayed due to lack of catering/cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)

Just experiencing something that happens all too often at EWR and drives me nuts.

I'm waiting to board UA48 to BOM. The aircraft has been at gate C121 my boarding gate for 9 hours. I've been personally staring at it for 2 hours.

Gate agent comes on the loudspeaker and announces a 30 min boarding delay because "the plane just arrived and has not been catered or cleaned. "

Aaaaaaaagh!

Last edited by J.Edward; Mar 8, 2019 at 4:57 am Reason: Non descriptive thread title changed
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I sort of hope they don't cater an ULH flight 8-1/2 hours before departure That second meal would be a bit on the "sell by" date.
wrp96 and Mexberry like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Par for the course in the sEWeR.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Often1
I sort of hope they don't cater an ULH flight 8-1/2 hours before departure That second meal would be a bit on the "sell by" date.
Surely there is a happy medium between catering it 9 hours early and catering it so late it delays the plane. 😜
wrp96 and AceReport like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The uncleaned mess might be past its sell by date too.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:53 am

Honesty has never been in any airline CSA handbook, especially United. I doubt that was the reason. Knowing EWR there’s probably a dozen reasons for the incompetence, but cleaning and catering seems to be the gate agents go to lie. Don’t know how many times I’ve boarded while they are still catering, but it usually doesn’t hold up boarding.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by BB2220
Honesty has never been in any airline CSA handbook, especially United. I doubt that was the reason. Knowing EWR there’s probably a dozen reasons for the incompetence, but cleaning and catering seems to be the gate agents go to lie. Don’t know how many times I’ve boarded while they are still catering, but it usually doesn’t hold up boarding.
I saw a good one lately (paraphrasing): "Your flight is delayed due to taking longer than normal to load all of the baggage. In flight, expected to arrive 2 1/2 hours late."
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Same thing happens all the time at SFO, too. Planes arrive in early morning from Australia, TPE, etc. Are towed away to a holding area where they sit untouched for 6-8 hours. Then towed back to the departure gate 15 minutes before scheduled departure where they wait for cleaning and catering crews to arrive and due their thing. Finally begin boarding at T+45.

As noted above, I understand why catering doesn't occur early, but cleaning? Why doesn't UA have a cleaning crew that just goes from plane to plane that is sitting out in the holding area. Would seem to be ultra-efficient for the cleaning crew. And then when the plane is towed to the gate -- which is the really scarce real estate at SFO, 15 minutes of dwell time is saved as no cleaning needs to take place there. Sounds smart to me, but I'm sure someone will explain why there is a flaw in this plan.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I saw a good one lately (paraphrasing): "Your flight is delayed due to taking longer than normal to load all of the baggage. In flight, expected to arrive 2 1/2 hours late."
The status messages in the app only show the most recent update. If the flight is delayed 2.25 hours because the incoming plane is late, and then once the plane gets there baggage takes longer to load than expected, the system will update with something like you describe above.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by seenitall
Same thing happens all the time at SFO, too. Planes arrive in early morning from Australia, TPE, etc. Are towed away to a holding area where they sit untouched for 6-8 hours. Then towed back to the departure gate 15 minutes before scheduled departure where they wait for cleaning and catering crews to arrive and due their thing. Finally begin boarding at T+45.

As noted above, I understand why catering doesn't occur early, but cleaning? Why doesn't UA have a cleaning crew that just goes from plane to plane that is sitting out in the holding area. Would seem to be ultra-efficient for the cleaning crew. And then when the plane is towed to the gate -- which is the really scarce real estate at SFO, 15 minutes of dwell time is saved as no cleaning needs to take place there. Sounds smart to me, but I'm sure someone will explain why there is a flaw in this plan.
This is far too sensible for the UA bureaucracy to get their heads around. And, while they are at it, they could cater it shortly before it leaves the remote stand.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This drives me nuts.

It's like the people in line at the supermarket who are like, "oh, do I have to pay for this?" and only start fumbling through their wallets after the cashier has finished ringing up their items.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:25 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Had it happen in IAH a few years ago, too. Flight came in from S.America before dawn for a IAH-NRT departure around 1030. Plane was already at gate by 0800. After 1000 it was announced that cleaners had just boarded the plane (and we could see them boarding.) Even the pilots and F/As had been hanging around at the gate for a while by then. We were delayed enough that I missed my connection NRT-BKK.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:45 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Must be the same cleaning crew that does the toilets at EWR. Missing in action
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody take a look at the flight status for flight?

UA 48

Your flight departed late because we had to address a technical issue on your plane. Your safety is our priority and we're sorry for the inconvenience. (Arrived Gate 43 Minutes Late)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:32 pm

That's exactly what happens at SCL! (Santiago de Chile). The widebodies that arrive in the morning are towed away from the gate, parked on a side stand, and (at least in the summer when I was there) all the doors are opened to air out the planes, while the cleaners go through and clean the planes. The newly cleaned planes are then towed back to the gate in the late afternoon shortly before boarding. Although I made several trips through SCL, I did not notice whether catering was done while parked at the stand, or after returning to the gate. But, I did particularly notice how all the doors were opened for hours on end to air out the planes -- a good idea [presumably no mosquitoes etc. in that desert climate...]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.