Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Revised UA livery revealed 24 April 2019 (sneak peek on FT on 23rd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The “leaked” first shot:

United’s announcement video:
https://twitter.com/united/status/11...525993984?s=20

PDF of the new livery:
https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/876...jpg?p=original

Out with the Gold, in with the Blue - United Airlines Unveils its Next Fleet Paint Design
Updated aircraft livery is the next step in United's ongoing efforts to modernize its visual brand

CHICAGO, April 24, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, United Airlines is introducing customers and employees to a modernized aircraft livery, which will bring a refreshed look to its fleet. The design is a visual representation of United's ongoing brand evolution while staying true to the history it has developed over the past 93 years of proudly serving customers around the world.

"As we improve and elevate our customer experience, we are changing the way people think and feel about United, and this branding captures that new spirit," said Oscar Munoz, CEO of United Airlines. "Each improvement we've added to our service advances our evolution as an airline, furthering our effort to elevate and redefine customer service in the sky. This modernized design, especially our iconic globe, enhances the very best of United's image and values while pointing in the direction of where we intend to go next in serving our customers."

The next iteration of United's livery prominently features the color most connected to the airline's core – blue. Three shades – Rhapsody Blue, United Blue and Sky Blue – are used throughout the design in a way that pays respect to United's heritage while bringing a more modern energy. The airline is keeping its iconic globe logo on the aircraft tail, which represents the carrier's expansive route network of reaching 355 destinations in nearly 60 countries. The tail will be updated with a gradient in the three shades of blue, while the logo will now appear predominantly in Sky Blue. The engines and wingtips are also being painted United Blue, and the swoop that customers and employees have expressed fondness for on United's Dreamliner fleet will be added to all aircraft in Rhapsody Blue. United's name will appear larger on the aircraft body and the lower half of the body will be painted Runway Gray. United's mission of "Connecting people. Uniting the world." will also be painted near the door of each aircraft.

The new design features core colors from United's updated brand palette, which was introduced last year as a step toward updating the brand's visual identity. Blue continues to be the airline's primary color, with various tones creating more depth and reflecting the colors customers and employees see when they look out the plane window at the sky. The airline's new color palette also includes shades of purple, which is most recognizable as the color of the new United Premium Plus seats are being added to the fleet. When combined, the purple and blue tones create a soothing environment and a more relaxed travel experience. In updating its colors, United is reducing the use of gold, which was added to the brand palette almost 30 years ago. United's new color palette can also be seen in the accent colors of the new uniforms that are being created for more than 70,000 front-line employees.

On average, United aircraft receive new paint jobs every seven years. The first aircraft painted with the new design is a Boeing 737-800, which will be joined by a mix of narrowbody, widebody and regional aircraft with the updated livery throughout the year. For more information visit united.com/brandevolution.
Print Wikipost

Revised UA livery revealed 24 April 2019 (sneak peek on FT on 23rd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I wouldn’t worry about the company spending money on this. United hasn’t had any real brand or marketing efforts since 2010.

It was reported elsewhere that Boeing had worked on some designs but were initially rejected. “Buy billions in planes and we’ll throw in a new custom paint job for ya.” I’m not holding my breath for anything stylish being announced.
BearX220, char777 and am1108 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I assume the planes will pretty much look the same.
Isn't there a significant cost savings in keeping the plane mostly white? Plus I thought it was easier to spot defects.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Bringing back the winged “T” would be cool too.

Revolution would have been better to wipe away more of the Smisek era.
BearX220, nnn and am1108 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A big waste of money and another excuse to raise fares and reduce benefits.
Yes, that’s why it was illegal ticket prices. We want cheap tickets and we want to get a real reasonable fares.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Looks like the Tulip is officially nevermore...but can't we kill off the PowerPoint clipart globe too?
am1108 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I guess that’s why UA is cutting costs on front cabin catering - “Let them eat paint”.
I did that as a kid and I'm perfectly fine-ish.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by eng3
I assume the planes will pretty much look the same.
Isn't there a significant cost savings in keeping the plane mostly white? Plus I thought it was easier to spot defects.
I thought the savings from white paint was in reduced costs of cooling the plane. White reflects more light.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Airplanes are usually painted every 6-7 years or so... this wouldn’t be something the company is “wasting” money on.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A big waste of money and another excuse to raise fares and reduce benefits.
I always find it interesting that people think changing the livery is such a big waste of money and somehow translates to higher fares. The planes have to be painted on a regular basis, so its not like they are taking a bunch of planes out of service and spooling up painting; they would cycle through maintenance and paint schedules typically on a standard schedule so while it may seem like planes carry the same scheme for years, they are actually painting the planes. As for marketing costs, it depends on what type of contract they have in place whether the design was part of the normal course of marketing or was an additional service. That being said, Smisek claimed he designed the last scheme, so maybe he's returned to offer his services.

I had hoped they would just go to the 737MAX and 787 schemes because it updates the look but retains a consistent look. I just hope whatever they come up with isn't just another boring eurowhite design.
SteveHK and rmadisonwi like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by seenitall
I thought the savings from white paint was in reduced costs of cooling the plane. White reflects more light.
White paint weighs less also. I took the Everet factory tour in Washington last year and dont quote me on this but, I think it was something like 800lbs on a 787 in white vs another color. So that's 800 more lbs of cargo, pax, fuel, or less fuel because there not hauling around another 800 lbs in pigment.
higher_flyer and seenitall like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:14 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I always find it interesting that people think changing the livery is such a big waste of money and somehow translates to higher fares. The planes have to be painted on a regular basis, so its not like they are taking a bunch of planes out of service and spooling up painting; they would cycle through maintenance and paint schedules typically on a standard schedule so while it may seem like planes carry the same scheme for years, they are actually painting the planes. As for marketing costs, it depends on what type of contract they have in place whether the design was part of the normal course of marketing or was an additional service. That being said, Smisek claimed he designed the last scheme, so maybe he's returned to offer his services.
While it is true that the repainting would take place in any case, what is costing extra money is the designing. You can bet your life that the upcoming rebrand will cost enough to have provided a substantial number of us with free Polaris int'l flights for the foreseeable future, which sticks in the throat when you could have had a redesign for free from folk posting on this forum.

It's the same waste as with the upcoming FA's uniform redesign. Yes, uniforms wear out and need to be replaced, but you don't need to throw hundreds of thousands at a firm to come up with a crappy scheme.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: DL,EK
Does anyone else think the current globe on the tail looks blurry at first glance? It's an optical illusion but is always there at first. It'll be nice to fix that.

Last edited by DesertNomad; Mar 8, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by RespectedPath
White paint weighs less also. I took the Everet factory tour in Washington last year and dont quote me on this but, I think it was something like 800lbs on a 787 in white vs another color. So that's 800 more lbs of cargo, pax, fuel, or less fuel because there not hauling around another 800 lbs in pigment.
Having worked for an aerospace coatings manufacturer, you're absolutely correct. There are typically fewer "heavier" pigments in lighter colors than darker and certainly white would contain the least. That's a lot of weight when you add it up over the surface area that gets sprayed.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
I dream of a day when the logo isn't the hamster ball anymore.

Originally Posted by mduell
Dump the bingo cage. I don't care for the return of the tulip.
Hah I always called it the hamster ball, but I like bingo cage more.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by 1P
While it is true that the repainting would take place in any case, what is costing extra money is the designing. You can bet your life that the upcoming rebrand will cost enough to have provided a substantial number of us with free Polaris int'l flights for the foreseeable future, which sticks in the throat when you could have had a redesign for free from folk posting on this forum.

It's the same waste as with the upcoming FA's uniform redesign. Yes, uniforms wear out and need to be replaced, but you don't need to throw hundreds of thousands at a firm to come up with a crappy scheme.
Begging to differ, it was the lack of sensitivity to design that produced so many of the compromises that people in this sight complain about -- the current corporate compromise livery, PMUA and it PMCO biz class seating (fans and foes of both abound). And many others.

Spend a little money to get it right.

​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.