Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United still processing CPU before T24?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite

So I am flying RDU-EWR tomorrow night and they have not upgraded anyone. I have noticed that most of my CPUs have been inside T24. Has United said anything about changing their policies?

AW
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
No. No change in policies. I was upgraded for a short segment (EWR-IAD) on Friday evening at T-96 as a 1K with the flight occurring in a few hours from now. UA processes some CPUs before T-24 if it thinks it will not sell out a domestic F cabin and will then hopefully push demand (and prices) by others when they see the cabin is filling up.

David
Kannai and perkele like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I've been on several E70 and E75 flights that were wide open in FC but no upgrades until T-24. I usually check in at T-24 on the dot and often don't get upgraded. Then I check back an hour later and I am upgraded. So in those cases, the upgrade occurred just inside the T-24 window.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Last week I was on a 738 with 10 open seats (J9 C9 D9 P9) and my CPU cleared just inside of T-24. Seems like UA is increasingly delaying CPUs. In fact, I don't remember the last time I CPUed earlier than T-24.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I got upgrade OGG-LAX 2 weeks ago on award ticket at T-96, but LAX-LAS night before. My chances of upgrade on both were (IMHO) same, so UA’s decision on CPU timing seems arbitrary sometimes.

One would think they’d run OGG-LAX process at last minute since they’d have good chance of selling ToDs on a 5-hour redeye. There’s a chance they did ( to detriment of lower status flyers), but I didn’t watch once I got mine.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:43 pm

As a plat, I’ve had three CPUs in the past month clear 2-3 days ahead of time. Didn’t pay close enough attention to note whether it was T-72 exactly or whatnot, but it was early enough.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Many more reports of things like this in recent months, but it's not a blanket policy. I have received T-96 upgrades also.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
And I've had a few (but rare) T-120 as a GS.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
In the scenario you show, I, as a Premier Platinum member would expect to be upgraded at T-72. However what happens most of the time would be that I would be #1 on the upgrade list and then magically either 12 people get upgraded without making it to the upgrade list or I would suddenly drop to #1 3 on the list 5 hours before the flight and not get upgraded.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I routinely get them 3-4 days out

Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLrunner
In the scenario you show, I, as a Premier Platinum member would expect to be upgraded at T-72. However what happens most of the time would be that I would be #1 on the upgrade list and then magically either 12 people get upgraded without making it to the upgrade list or I would suddenly drop to #1 3 on the list 5 hours before the flight and not get upgraded.
None of this is "magic" -- it just means that the GS and/or 1K passengers on your flight didn't get upgraded at the opening of their windows either.
drewguy and Kannai like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
It's nearly impossible to know whether UA is processing CPUs before T-24. Obviously you can know whether YOU were upgraded, but they know longer show people with a green check before T-24 (somebody can correct me, It may even be if they're upgraded before gate control). This is the rare case when obviously we can all know that nobody got upgraded because F is booked 0.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jmanirish
It's nearly impossible to know whether UA is processing CPUs before T-24. Obviously you can know whether YOU were upgraded, but they know longer show people with a green check before T-24 (somebody can correct me, It may even be if they're upgraded before gate control). This is the rare case when obviously we can all know that nobody got upgraded because F is booked 0.
Confirm no green check mark for my T-96 upgrade on UA1139. I don't even show up on the Upgrade list let alone that I was upgraded.

David
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:52 pm

CPU for my Newark-Chicago flight at T-96 this week
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA GS and 1.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Primier E;ite
I received my CPU for my Friday flight SFO to SAN 2 days ago. i also received CPU today on my return flight to SAN to SFO. (flight scheduled for this Sunday)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.