Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA (C5) 4933 Runway Excursion at PQI on 4 March 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA (C5) 4933 Runway Excursion at PQI on 4 March 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would the pilots for flight operations have been responsible for the decision to divert or not? And does it look like the pilots are in trouble for what happened to that aircraft? If so, would the primary responsibility go to the captain, the pilot actually at the controls doing the landing, or both?
IIRC while the Captain has ultimate authority/responsibility safety-of-flight is jointly held by both the dispatcher responsible for flight following and the PIC. Culturally it is (or should be) an "everyone agrees to the safest course of action" -- plane doesn't take off unless everyone is "Go", plane doesn't continue to an adverse destination unless everyone agrees that's the safe route.

As a pilot friend once told me "Get-there-itis gets you dead"

I would be very surprised if the FAA doesn't at least investigstigate/issue a NOPCA to suspend both crew members ATPs for some period unless there are significant extenuating circumstances. Based on the NTSB ALJ decisions I've been reading I doubt revocation would come from it but it's not impossible
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Those are some pretty big tracks. I think if we had an image that went down further it may be easier to make things out. The path that is there is pretty clearly the same width of the plane. (Central maine had a nasty snow storm that day, northern Maine had several and there is still a significant amount of snow there.) it is plausible that the tracks is what the aircraft had made after a few bounces.
Look at the hangars in the background to get an approximate scale of the track in the snow. The tracks in the snow sure don't look to be the width of the E-145 main gear. It looks to be much narrower.

I did a reverse image search, but can't find any results. If indeed was a photo of the UA 4933 landing path, I'd think that some news site(s) would have included it in one of their articles.

Perhaps the poster could tell us wherefrom he got the picture.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by GFrye
Look at the hangars in the background to get an approximate scale of the track in the snow. The tracks in the snow sure don't look to be the width of the E-145 main gear. It looks to be much narrower.

I did a reverse image search, but can't find any results. If indeed was a photo of the UA 4933 landing path, I'd think that some news site(s) would have included it in one of their articles.

Look at the aircraft near the middle of the image (in the middle of the dug-out/flattened snow circle) for size comparison -- you can see the aft end of the tail and empennage mounted engines.

To my eye the path appears to be almost exactly the size of the fuselage "tube". And appears to be a trajectory that coincides with the final position of the aircraft. Not seeing any disturbed snow from the wings/MLG is the only thing that raises questions in my mind, but based on the image resolution can be explained as a loss in fidelity.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

I can't stress enough on how much snow there's been in northern Maine. There are parts of the area there that still has 2-4 feet of snow today. That week they got about 18 inches, on top of probably 3-4 feet of snow. It is conceivable that the track you're seeing is from the fuselage and wing box. You can see the engines and if you take a piece of paper they line up pretty close to the snow marks.

The Bangor Daily News and other local sites have just shown ground shots. I don't know anyone that works there anymore.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WIRunner
I can't stress enough on how much snow there's been in northern Maine. There are parts of the area there that still has 2-4 feet of snow today. That week they got about 18 inches, on top of probably 3-4 feet of snow. It is conceivable that the track you're seeing is from the fuselage and wing box. You can see the engines and if you take a piece of paper they line up pretty close to the snow marks.

The Bangor Daily News and other local sites have just shown ground shots. I don't know anyone that works there anymore.
With that much snow, I'd expect the wings to plow through the snow and the track would be much wider. Yet there's barely a single mark outside the narrow track.

That track is approximately 880 feet long based on the picture and a satellite map of the airport.
Would an E-145 (MLW 44,000 pounds, landing speed ~120 knots) be able to stop in that distance with only the fuselage and wing box touching the snow? I'd think that such a short distance would only be feasible if the wings dug into the snow. Considering that the left main gear broke off, I have a hard time believing that the left wing wouldn't have plowed through the snow.

Last edited by GFrye; Mar 24, 2019 at 12:01 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:44 am

I'm guessing -- again operating with the theory that the "narrow track" is the width of the E145 fuselage -- which certainly isn't as wide as a 737 but not what I'd personally call narrow -- is the belly of the aircraft held the wings (bear in mind that the wing root of not at the extreme bottom of the aircraft.. so could easily ride a bit) above the snow pack.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]

Indeed.
An aircraft sliding through the snow would have a much wider footprint. The only way an aircraft could make a path like that would be if only the nose gear dragged through the snow for ~150 feet, and then the aircraft came to a complete stop in less than 2 feet...

That looks like a tracks from a person walking in snow.
The only other thing I can think of is the right-side landing gear, which would imply the plane landed half on and half off the runway.

Edit: Here's a pic I haven't seen before...

You can see daylight between the fuselage and the snow here. So...maybe...BOTH MLG snapped off early (not showing in the pic from above the runway, as those tracks maybe occurred earlier?) and we're seeing only the furrow of the nose gear, while the rest of the plane kind of glided on top of the snow?

Maybe possible if the snow had a decent crust on it.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Mar 24, 2019 at 12:08 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA
More photos found on AV Herald. It seems the wheels were ripped off up the runway and the plane did belly flop. The runway image above is accurate in my opinion.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2019 at 2:20 pm Reason: Moderator error, no change
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The picture shows a well plowed runway and moreover there doesn't seem to be any snow on the aircraft in the picture with the open door and EMTs, so it's hard to imagine how/why the pilots missed the runway. If lots of snow had been falling or blowing around to obstruct visibility, that same snow should be on the "parked" aircraft.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
More photos found on AV Herald. It seems the wheels were ripped off up the runway and the plane did belly flop. The runway image above is accurate in my opinion.
Yep, both MLG came off, apparently:
On Mar 7th 2019 a reader made The Aviation Herald aware of a photo by Northscape Photography, which clarified the aircraft had touched down to the right of the runway threshold, left behind a set of wheels while crossing runway 10/28 and came to a stop even further right off runway 01.
So now that explains the pic taken from above the runway.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
With that much snow, I'd expect the wings to plow through the snow and the track would be much wider. Yet there's barely a single mark outside the narrow track.

That track is approximately 880 feet long based on the picture and a satellite map of the airport.
Would an E-145 (MLW 44,000 pounds, landing speed ~120 knots) be able to stop in that distance with only the fuselage and wing box touching the snow? I'd think that such a short distance would only be feasible if the wings dug into the snow. Considering that the left main gear broke off, I have a hard time believing that the left wing wouldn't have plowed through the snow.

These pictures should clear any issues up.

The top one shows the bouncing that took place. The track that is there is definitely from the wingbox/fuselodge scraping the snow away.

Edit: The nose of the aircraft sits about 4 ft high, figure you lose about 18 inches from the nose to the wingbox. So there's still plenty of space to have just the wingbox plough through the snow. If a wingtip touched the snow it would be just like when a car's tire goes into snow, you get pulled sharply to the one side. If a wintip did this on an airplane you'd likely see what happened to that DC-10 in Sioux Falls in the 90s, it would have either pulled sharply, or would have cartwheeled.

Last edited by WIRunner; Mar 24, 2019 at 2:20 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
The AV Herald states the touchdown was before the crossing runaway (10/28) and a set of wheels were found just after the the crossing runaway. Which suggest there was significant impact prior to the crossing runway.

However, the earlier photo showed not snow disturbance until well after the crossing runway.

Something does not jive, the two appear to be inconsistent or we need a more complex description of what happened.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2019 at 2:32 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I get the sense they might have attempted to go around. Looking at the picture above it kind of seems like the aircraft may have been airborne for some distance between when the MLG snapped off at RWY 10/28 and when the nosewheel track (in the snow) starts well past the 10/28.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Since the photo posted on March 8th doesn’t show the full landing sequence, that explains why the landing track in the picture was so short and didn’t create the impact one would expect to see at normal landing speed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.